Wages... make games less epic

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Who me?, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Working on diminishing returns at the moment

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so just scaling the refs by .8 is no option? you rather create some complex system thats is prone to bugs (since its new) and creating new issues (fe. on maps with 12 refs you might only need 4 per team and the remaining 4 get unimportant, so it alteres the gameplay of this particular map completely/makes it impossibel to predict the gameflow)

yep, sounds like completely normal empires development (scnr)

srsly, i think scaling ref output by .6 - .8 should fix the rediculously high incomes ...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. Silk

Silk Mapper

If it can be done map by map it would at least help yes.

Exponential res income isn't truly about how much money a map has though, it's more about gameplay changes between who's winning and who's losing. It's just that it CAN be used to balance the total amount of map resources just as well, which is how it got into this topic.

Edit:
    Oh, wages were indeed added without reducing res income? That's what you mean by 0.8 scaling?

Yeah, that would be an answer to that problem.
    If it counters about 80% of what people earn with their wages, the comm would have about the same amount for basebuilding as he had before wages. (20% of wages gets lost with people disconnecting, or being spread amongst 20 players in too small amounts for them to do anything with them)

4. flasche

and its quite simple to add a per-map .cfg file. there already is a system in place to lower resflow, its simple and intuitive. sure it would take like what, 1h of work for ALL the maps there are (including customs)

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

[Derail] What ever happened to recycling dead tanks? Seems that that shound be able to fix this. [/Derail]

What about diminishing returns based on player count?

I don't believe you.

6. flasche

surely recycling tanks will fix the problem of TOO MUCH resources. but granted it would be a nice feature - just scale ref output to .75 or even less.

well it would need testing, i dont dare to say how much you really get through wages, but it surely is over 1-2k for better players (if not more) depending on map and time (might be higher with assists now idk)

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The problem is that at the moment, resources do 1/second minimum, and less than that is a bit hackish. It would make more sense to actually make things more expensive I think.

8. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

First of all halve the wages, making points matters now far to much compared to capturing and holding refs,
    secondly reduce ref income a bit/make everything a tad more expensive.
    Problem solved.

9. flasche

can they be integers only?

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Half wages = make them useless. The regular resource income is the problem.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

yeah but it helps the losing team much more than wages or kill assists ever would (what kind of losing team uses tanks).

12. flasche

well i assume both teams would be able to salvage tank wrecks. sure it would in theory provide an additional income, but teams prolly will profit evenly at best (and realistically the winning team more since they, quite obviously are better anyway or they wouldnt win)

13. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

I think the original idea fell along the lines of
    BE kills NF tank, BE can salvage for 60% or NF can salvage for 40%

14. MooJuiceThaHater

MooJuiceThaHater Member

Wages CURRENTLY completely suck and you know if I said it it's true and factual because I know more then you people.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

that only works for me

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

only if you keep the most expensive stuff at their usual expense, because even though wages lets us have tanks and hos, composite or rails really impact the resources.

17. Who me?

Who me? Member

Hmm... good points about the pros of wages, those being that noobs can't make tanks, while those who can drive can

Suggestion... What if the wages came directly from the team's res? Couple ways;

- Players with higher points gain a proportionate amount of wages from the team's refineries constantly. (total wages gained from refineries would be constant per refinery)

- The wages would come from the pool of team res, the level of wages would be set by the comm, and to make it impossible to build tanks using the team's resources except via commander. Unused wages could still be used by the team/comm.

Personally, I think the second idea is a bit stupid, but i rather like the idea of the first. It keeps the dependency on refineries and not on sheer point-making for res, as well as keeping the advantages that wages bring.

Thoughts?

18. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Half wages= Half as usefull =/= useless
    and hell, wages are OP, the idea to implement something just to have it but then cba to balance it is kinda crappy imo.
    Albait a reduce of overal ress/higher costs should move along with that change, which I also stated in my post, by simply reducing ref output you would nerf refs even more compared to wages ....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Salvageable tanks weren't meant to decrease resource output, so you're correct there (and the discussion should belong in another thread). Diminishing returns will decrease resource output for the winning team somewhat.

I made it scriptable: the other team can gain more from your wrecks (and vice versa).

Also, your original suggestion of reducing res output in general through map configs is still valid, but yeah this thread has several discussions ongoing and no one seems to be able to keep them apart

20. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Sorry for being negative here, but I want my team to kill stuff, not be even more useless standing next to a destroyed tank :)