Vote for research function

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Andariel, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Andariel

Andariel Member

This idea is meant to allow a bit more democracy and to help a comm see his players wishes quick

players would see the research tree full(means they can browse the subcategorys) but instead of a research button they get a vote button.
    Te final decision would still be that of the comm but an commander has easy access to see his minions wishes

If a player votes for example the HE cannon the comm sees something along "XX players voted for this Category" as he further comes down the techtree the votes divide within each piece wished (eg: comm sees 7 people vote for chemistry and then goes in to see 1 voting for coolant 3 for he and 4 for missiles, once he gone in the missile tree he sees 1 wishes for rpg while 3 wish for the um)

this could also be used to show players how much time on what is left

Pro: adds a bit more teamwork on pubs and decreases the amount of frustrated players because a nubcomm has nfc what to research

con: err tell me

2. Chahk

Chahk Member

Con: all of that can easily be replaced with asking over the voice chat what the team prefers researched next. Same with "time left" functionality - a good commander will always announce what he's currently researching and how long until it's done.

Besides, most people would vote for "Nukez" anyways :p

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

con: would make clear research paths impossible to do and would make sure noone would ever get nukes...

4. Andariel

Andariel Member

with those cons i could had come up too, but i was just in a match where we told the comm for 20 minutes to get he (he always said he will, in the meantime we got homings, guided, coolant, level3 turrets, uml's....)

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't think it takes too long to learn what to research, and once you do know what to research then the vote ability becomes completly pointless, because commanders are going to vote for what is going to help the team, not what the players want. yes, you want arty. yes, you want composite. no, we're getting reflective and 3phase.

6. newguy

newguy Member

This idea is stupid. Let the commander to his/her job. The commander shouldn't have to go through each research branch using votes, it'll take days before the team gets anything good. The commander can ask players what they want.

7. Reef

Reef Member

Research is the commanders will and responsibility.
    Some players would like to have a greater influence on the comm, but they wouldn't like to comm by themselves.
    You wan't to give them a toy to silence them.
    Democracy will be useless as well. When 3 noobs vote on nukes and two pros will vote for reflective, You will see a 3-2 rating in the tree. I prefeer to ask players what do they need, if some say "NUKEZ FTW" and some say "we need abs armour because they got heavies and they have phase and in less than 60s they will get rails and regen is not what will protect us" - I make abs. Even if 10 players would ask for nukes and one player would ask for abs, I would ask nukes, so the number beside the research tree would be useless. It could be a "*" indicating that at least one person wants to have something from this branch and that is clearly not what we want our devs to spend time on.
    As I usually say in those kind of topics, aircrafts are waiting.

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

This would be hard to do, but maybe we should have suggested counters, which highlight specific tactics, such as hit and run, etc

9. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I just realized that air craft will requir research... This is gonna totaly throw all current stratigys out the window!

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hell no, I don't want to have idiots getting their retarded views in when I'm commanding.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I got an idea.

Lets do away with com altogether.

we can add voting as to where we want buildings, and when we want them, etc.

If you can't see why the above is a bad idea, please don't respond.

Remember that this is the military. There is no such thing as a democratic military. If you vote in a commander, you do what he says to do until you vote him out.

12. Andariel

Andariel Member

for anyone who has read the introduction clearly knows that i stated that the comm still has the final decision

even when 2 or 3 players vote for reflective and chem weapon upgrades, the comm still might go for turrets and guided, its his choice and i agree on that

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Chances are, if you introduce THAT much democracy, some players will feel butthurt and go cry to mommy when the comm doesn't research what they want.

14. Andariel

Andariel Member

then let these babys that cant handle life go cry, its already so by micspamming 5yo who will mock cry moan and bitch more then a woman on her period

15. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

The only thing I can see useful that's even close to that is something like a "Research suggestion vote". Where people vote to suggest a certain thing, and the commander still has the final say.

But that's basically the same as asking the team what they want, which most commanders do already.

16. communism

communism poof

Why hasn't this been brought up?
    A good commander already knows what he is going to tech, by the time even 2 people even think about voting he should already have started his next research. Its pointless really

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

in good games the comm adjust his playstyle on where the players go and the players adjust there playstyle on what the comm researchs...

so i dont think we need another vote or pop up menu or something like that.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

He is a commander not a president; the team is the commanders bitch; not the other way around; the commander is the one calling the shots not the retarded team...

You are a soldier; you shouldn't whine and bitch at the commander you are supposed to do whatever he tells you to do even if it is running into a minefield screaming "FOR SPAARTAAA!"

When the nubs came I loved killing paper heavies with an AVF; do you want that to go over into all other aspects as well?