Volcanem concept

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Vessboy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Brenodi beach assult Vs NF garrisen in an old factory
    This story comes from an idea for a campaign style multi player where the next map is chosen based on the winning team so eventually the losing BE defends the capital, and the Losing NF Try to recoup with old tech on a volcanic island. An Idea of mine.

Story: The Northern faction have run a failing campaign and are forced to rely on one project to turn the tide. The jekotiens were the first to develop the 4-C "Behemoth" class refinery. Tho in the last war all were destroyed, Except the one on volcanum Isle. Tho time has taken its toll making the facility dysfunctional, the NF have dedicated their final efforts to the defense, and reverse engineering of this monolith.
    The BE will not allow this fossil of a structure be come a threat and have dispatched the foremost force In the Finest beach assault craft ever designed. With the ability to supply and operate a full base on its deck, It is the perfict weapon to deal with the rebels on their remote island hell.
    [​IMG]
    I cant map so I'd like someone to give it a try. Mountain is that cool trickhl2 dose like with the citadel.
    Sorry my scanner just died so I was only able to get one angle.
    I'd like some feed back.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  2. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Hmm. I might take this on...I like the idea. And that trick with the citidel is called the 3d skybox.

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

You draw that by hand?

Damn.

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Thanks.
    I am a A developing concept artist, If any one needs a idea concepted just ask.
    unfortunatly due to my dead scanner my Response time may be lengthened.

5. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I'm a concept art novice, I need lots and lots (+lots) of practice where it stands. But I god damn devoted.

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Heres what I got in the terrain generator. Im going to export to hammer and see what It looks like there (with building sizes and all). I might just scrap it and make it bigger.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Nope...Its the map bounds right now, so Its all good. I gotta work on the brushes and tweak them in hammer, but this is going to turn out nicely

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It has to be 1024 units away from the map bounds actually, otherwise you get an out of bounds error.

I also suggest you do most of the volcano, then skyboxify the bits you don't need.

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Not to mention its not very natural in appearance.
    And I had to free hand this in photoshop so sorry if its a bit undetailed.
    In relation to the original concept this may be the most effiecient ust of space for this concept.
    [​IMG]

Green dots are possible res spots

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What you should do, instead of having cliffs at the side, make them mountain roots (I don't really know what they're called, they look like tree roots and you get them on mountains), it looks much more realistic than cliffs in the middle of a mountain, as though god was cutting a birthday cake.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

My map emp_ashmountain is spookily like this concept. I will try to get some screenies up. Just about the only part I'm happy with is the volcano itself, so if anyone wants to pinch it they can feel free.

11. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

yea, I'm totally scrapping the terrain, it didnt turn out the way I wanted it in Hammer, and I have to do SERIOUS changes to make it look natural.

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

13. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

So is this a conquest or classic map, or something where the NF have vehicles and BE do not. Where do the BE start?

14. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

this is more of an artistic map. But It has potential for both classic and conquest.
    theres enough map behind the facility to even make it a two parter. As soon as outside base is defeated another battle could take place within the mountain.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  15. Rexz

Rexz Member

Yea, what Vess said.

It could be a medium or small type of map for classic, just like Money. Or it could have more complex system of paths suitable for a conquest type of battle.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

gameplay > graphics/style/awesometude

17. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

And why do you feel that was necessary?

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

graphics > gameplay.

gameplay can come later. gameplay is easy to get right. gameplay will fit itself around whatever you put it on.

it's the graphics that are hard to get right.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I disagree totally. Have you listened to the commentary in valve games, or watched any dev videos? Gameplay is always the first consideration, imo. You can pretty up any layout quite easily, but you can't make a pretty layout play well.

20. davee magee

davee magee Member

i think that was sarcasm broc...