Visual Effects

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

This is somthing that just occured to me, blurred vision and shock effects. At the moment we have the ringing in ears, but what about blurred vision like cod2 and red orchestra when you are near-missed, nearby an explosion or when you run out of breath?

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that would be great. really great.

the only problem is that in source, blur and such effects can be turned off at the options menu. either krenzo makes a crapper blur for low end machines to use, or we force everyone to use blur and alienate some low end players entirely.

I think it should be implemented after aircraft though, because by then everyone is going to have good enough computers.

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

And if you watch the gameplay trailers for EP2, blur is implemented (I'm thinking of the train yard fight with the helicopter) So an update to that engine might make it more possible for lower-end computers (assuming Valve optimizes that part of the engine)

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

after looking at the aircraft post, I think that krenzo may have mentioned putting g-force effects or somthing.

5. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

No matter how fast you go in a plane, without a blur effect at high speeds it feels like I'm going slow.

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Blur effects YES :D

I would want to have it in just for immersion; imagine arty shells hitting everywhere and you are dazed with the screen constantly blurred, and you barley manage to get into a tank :D

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

ATM motion blur in source is death to low-end computers. But I imagine that blimbs will come after DNF, er episode 2.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

A simple type of blur would be a screen overlay, probably animated.(2 frames)

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

that type of blur would look pretty ugly.
    How about he does the same thing he is going to do for gforce blackouts but make it redish white and slowly receed back to normal as you become undazed.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

From what I've gathered, the blur in the Episode 2 teasers is all post. Basically this means they recorded a demo, then played it and enabled blur effects, which renders 30 frames for every one frame, composites it, and then outputs the frame to a folder. I'm pretty sure they haven't got it working reasonably in-game yet.

As for the aircraft blur, how about a polygons become more blurred the closer they are to the vehicle? A fake depth-of-field effect could be set up where there's a sphere (or series of spheres) with a shader applied to them that increase in intensity with speed. Other aircraft could be compensated for by simply having it so that they're excluded from the shader (is that possible?) or by actually doing a relative speed check on them alone to determine how much blur to apply.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the blur in the ep2 teasers are post? are you sure? those bastards! that's not allowed!

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Say that to sony and their Pre rendered E3 Trailers...

13. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I don't think it's such a massive misrepresentation of the game, especially since they not only conversed with the press about exploring cinematic effects (the Day of Defeat video) and since they offer the ability for end users to add blur to their demos, too.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

And the fact that they will probably implement it now that multi-core systems are becoming the new trend.

15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Not so sure about that. The blur system they worked out currently renders thirty frames for every one, then composites it into one frame with the blur effect. This simply requires much heavier rigs overall. Multi-core processors are good for things like calculating prettier particle effects, better AI, and generally handing things over to the GPU faster, so no, the multi-core dealie isn't going to help a lot with that until the GPUs catch up.

16. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

how bout we focus on prettier explosions. when was the last time you blew up a tank and the whole thing just went black. HL2 has one of the bestest physics ever, and you gotta utilize it somehow. maybe something other then the stock grenade explosion, too.
    i realize, tho, that right now, we need to tweak the gameplay until its perfect. THEN we can focus on looks.
    at the very least, can we custom color our tanks?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  17. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

does this look like warhammer?

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Edit the materials it uses, beware of errors though!

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

good idea: the armour you put on it determines the model used (there would be slight changes around the outside, such as different shaped armour peices, or a colour band if you want to go simple.

20. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I wonder if the developers are up to making/editting 2500000 different models.