Victory is mine

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REX, Sep 27, 2007.

1. REX

REX Member

I was rejected by the army draft doctor :)

they really seemed to like me and the results from my education. But then came the doctor and he declared me not fit for duty in less than a min :) all I had to do was demonstrate my hypermobile joints. I pulled my arm back and popped my shoulder out of the joint and he just looked like he was disquested by it.

Lol he just said "and your other shoulder can do so aswell ?... yes... ok I have seen all I need to you may leave!"

It doesnt even bother me and I can lift my own weight without it fing up on me and I havent been to a gym where I cant max out the legpress at like 190-250 kg. Kindoff fun that they didnt even ask me if it gave any problems.

2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Wait... Denmark drafts?

Do you guys still drive in Traction-Avants?

3. picard131

picard131 Member

Draft...in Denmark? does not compute

4. Slithzerikai

I only thought America would be stupid enough to ever reïnstitute a draft at this point.

5. picard131

picard131 Member

Denmark is in a draft...?

6. REX

REX Member

ehmm oh guess I used the wrong word..... its just the type where you do not get send into war if you dont want to.

What do you call it when you just HAVE to get the training for the national army ?. We call it (sesion)... dont know why.... hmmm what is the english word for this.

You just get all the training and in a state of emergency you can be called in for the next 3 years. you know regular getting forced into the army stuff when you reach 18 years or like me I had it delayed until after I had finished all the education before the universety.

7. Slithzerikai

Yep, that's a draft. But more of a reserve draft.

Still, pretty fucked up. I thought Denmark lived in the present era instead of the previous.

8. picard131

picard131 Member

Wait, is that like registering for the Selective Service or whatever it's called when you're 18 here in the US?

On a semi-related note, an American empire would be pretty sweet. Don't tell me about how America is already an empire, I want it to be literally called the American Empire, ruled by Emperor Your Name Here.

9. REX

REX Member

I dont really know what the Selective Service is or how that works, but this is just something that about 5000 males of about 18 are forced to do every year (and we are only 5,6 million people of all ages and so on).... it used to be 10000, but we seem to have shifted more focus onto the profesional part of the army in recent years.

oh so I was right..... its a total waste of tax money and peoples time. The only area I kindoff liked was the navy so I could go 6 weeks to greenland on one of our bigger inspection ships with the big boom sticks and a cool helipad. But then I would have had to wait an entire ekstra year to get in and that would have overall delayed my education 2 years.

Also it is not without dangers... 3 dudes died when my brother did his time. Crashing a motorcycle... faling asleep soaked in frosty weather.... and the doctors missed a heart error on a guy who was dead on the morning of the family visitday. Also a dude who lost his leg in a crash and my brother almost died from double sided lemonia and when a millitary dentist shot the tranguliser drug into his blood they had to give him adrenalin and shit.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  10. picard131

picard131 Member

Yeah for the efficency of the Danish Army!

11. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I think a lot of european nations do this now. Doesn't switzerland require all men to serve in the reserve for a time?

12. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

All I will say about the American Draft is that actually doing such a thing would be political suicide. The party that would institute a draft would go down in flames so fast it's not even funny. Besides, we don't really need a draft. All we have to do is extend the service of the people who signed up for the military voluntarily, making them serve until they die of old age. It's nicknamed the "backdoor draft" and it works just as well without the overwhelming political backlash.

Plus, last I checked, Russia has a conscription program that is not the most well-liked aspect of civil service. As far as I know, the US military involves voluntary sign-up (just not voluntary discharge) as opposed to the actual draft in Russia.

13. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Finland has conscription, too. All men between ages 18 and 60 are liable for military service. Everyone has to undergo a minimum of 6, 9, or 12 months of training at some point between ages 18 and 30 IIRC. Most go there at 20 and for 9 months, just before the average man goes to university. But if I was rejected by the army draft doctor, I'd be so ashamed I'd want to end my life right then and there, so I'd hardly consider rejection a "victory". It'd be more like an ultimate defeat. However, here they don't let people get away as easily as described in the OP. I heard that there are now even separate regiments for disabled and retarded people where they can do military service.

14. REX

REX Member

I see it as a victory as I won against people trying to force me to do something I find useless in every way. I see 0 honour in serving in the regular reserve of our army as they are never used for anything exept for the navy.

I could have gotten in very easy by not mentioning it at all and they would have really pushed to have me become an officer with my education. The dissabled are never ever even considered here and one of their new slogans of the new streamlined army is that there are no room for fat soldiers. They also turned down one of my friends emediatly because he had one single kidney stone more than 10 years ago even though he never had any since.

Also they dont even need this retarded draft anymore as even this year about 3700 people got into the REAL army of Denmark who will be headig out on real missions.

15. Aurora

I understand that it's different in Denmark. I wasn't saying your rejection would've been dishonourable, I was just pointing out the difference - military service in here is as natural as going to school. However, even if drafting in Denmark is useless, that doesn't mean military training is useless for the average man. Polls say, that 70% of Finland's male population would join or would have joined the military even, if military service wasn't compulsory. While it might as well be true that those 70% are simply patriotic, or interested in army stuff, I'd say a more likely reason for most of those 70% joining would be the benefits of military training.

If you're in bad condition, or if you're healthy and just want to exercise anyway, but can't get a grip of yourself, the Finnish army is the right place to go to. You'll be running, swimming, and ski'ing a lot, so if you haven't learned or practised any of the mentioned activities very well, you will learn in the army. And you don't have to be afraid of being too weak for anything; the difficulty of physical exercise is appropriately accommodated for everyone. You'll learn basic survival and navigation skills, allowing you to stay alive alone in a forest for a good while, should you ever get in such a situation. Besides what I've mentioned, you'll gain countless other useful skills. Also, just like in schools, in the army you'll make surprisingly many friends, and useful contacts. Last, but not least, all those people from the bottom of the barrel, who didn't learn sufficient discipline at home, will most certainly be straightened in the army - :rolleyes: though I doubt those people would join for that. Overally, conscription has proven to have a significant positive impact on work morale.

But then again, I know little of the Danish military.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  16. REX

REX Member

Indeed our army also have many educations especially if you join for real and have to stay for 2 years. But the basic mandatory training have been cut from 9-12 months to a sad 4 months of basic training. And as in any other army you will learn disciplin and train hard. I could also have chosen to stay for 6 months and become a firefighter and when my brother served for 9 months he became a field medic so he knows how to keep people alive when they have been all broken.

Its just that forcing people into it seems wrong and it just seems like a waste of resources now. Also I lost all trust to them when the people in my brothers unit died and they missed just how sick he was until he had naturaly overcome the leumonia by himself losing 12 kg and looked like a skeleton. Hmm and on top of that they pay a lot less than what you would get at even some of the crapiest jobs.

17. REX

REX Member

lol yes thats the one

18. Aurora

Finland's population is around 5 million, so conscription is necessary to uphold a credible army, particularly because of our eastern neighbor. But seeing as Denmark isn't really in a geopolitically dangerous location and has a much higher population density, drafting does seem rather useless.

That's miserable... They must've assumed he had normal fever or something.

19. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

The Conservatives here want to bring in that sort of system.

20. REX

REX Member

Yes they gave him a shot for his hayfever and thought that he might have astma. But also the incident with the dentist seems quite bad. If he had left the room for it to take effekt he would have been dead or permanently cripled.