VF Idea, not sure if it's possible in game.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Faunze, May 21, 2009.

1. Faunze

Faunze Member

I've got quite a bit of modelling experience behind me, and I was wondering if this concept would work.

A VF, that brings up tanks from underground? I've been drawing up some concepts but I'm not sure if there's a real chance it would even work, in fact I'm pretty damn sure it won't, considering the vehicles can't pass through terrain. Just thought it was a sweet idea, as I'm just not a fan of vehicles popping out of nowhere.:eek:

2. ba'al

ba'al Member

I think you can't draw anything from underground as the source engine doesnt let you

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

They can't? :mad:

If 2 bits of terrain are forced together though, one will give, because objects can't be crushed. Unfortunately, the moving bit will be what gives, therefor if the terrain doesn't let you pass through, you'll fall under the map.

overall, this probably won't work, unless the vf is really really tall. Would be fun for map spawned vehicles as a starting place though, as a model that mappers can place ^_^

From what ba'al said, it's not really true. The current models have ramps and such that extend pretty far under the ground as it is. The problem comes from something existing either in or on a solid brush. The engine will try and force the tank to exist somewhere other than the brush, doing all sorts of weird shit to the tank.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make a moving platform on the VF model, parent the vehicle to it while its underground (parenting turns off collision for the vehicle) the vehicle rises, gets released and given collision back

should work

moving infantry underground only doesn't work because you will see your body go trough a displacement

5. ba'al

ba'al Member

I just spoke out of ignorance =(^.^)=

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

There is no real support for dynamic terrain, so it would hardly be possible.

7. Faunze

Faunze Member

Genious! Infantry won't be going into the raising part, although I still have to work on how they can't get in but see the tank rise, the tank rolls out and the player can get in.

Have to do all this without lagging the client or server too. Needs to be smooth.:headshot:

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Stolen tanks, number one on the griefing list!

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You could do it the way Nod's War Factory does it in CNC 3, it opens up and spawns a vehicle when it's in open position, making it look like it comes from under the ground. Not that we'd need that, of course.

10. Faunze

Faunze Member

Not quite sure what you mean, would it really matter? I'm planning on bringing it up on a 180 degree spin, it wouldn't matter if the shutter was open or closed it's the problem of the tank raising through the terrain.

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

You also have to consider how shitty it would look if the player could see it come through the terrain or through any other surface.

12. Faunze

Faunze Member

Read the first post jessiah, I've went over that already. They can see it rise but can't get inside, because if they could get inside they would see it's AAAAALL AN ILLUUUUSIOOON!!

13. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Ah, so their kept really far away so they cant possibly get a viewing angle that would show this.

14. Faunze

Faunze Member

Nope, seperate room, lower than the actual raising platform by just a little, they will get a view of some of the tunnel leading underneath, but not to the point where there's nothing there, player pops into tank(could just put a delay there) and a blast door opens letting the tank drive out, think present VF opening with a door on it (almost). This door is a one way system only so players can get out but not in.

Executing this is the hard part, whilst pleasing the members of the community, which I'm not too sure I'll do, but I for one, am not a fan of magically appearing vehicles from nowhere.

15. S U N R I S E

S U N R I S E Member

Are you planning something like the Command & Conquer 3 nod war factory? Cause that would be cool.
    [​IMG]

16. Faunze

Faunze Member

Yes but it's inside.

17. Alceister

Alceister Member

KISS. It'd look cool, but it wouldn't contribute to overall gameplay.

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I really don't think a tank passing through terrain to get to the surface of the map will work. Mainly because not all placeable surfaces are displacements. If you did this with a solid brush, it would glitch out the HL2 physics, and the tank would get stuck.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Solution seems relatively simple to me.

Have the VF raise an enclosed elevator, when the elevator is up, spawn a tank and open the doors, boot the tank out the door, lower the lift.

The tank never actually moves.

Although I think it's rather pointless.

You could also just make the tank nocollide, or use a placeholder part of the model, you really don't have to think so linearly.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  20. Demented

Demented Member

That's what solokiller and sunrise were referring to with the CnC3 war factory.