Vehicletraining_rc7

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Why not? If a person is stupid enough to shoot into the wall and kill themselves, then let em. They'll learn quickly.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Damn. I think you have to just make them explode.

It's not like people are going to do it more than once. And I doubt it's going to break the map, if you're camping the safezone you deserve to die.

DAAAAMNNN YOOOOU SCARDY

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

True, but an extra feature of the trigger_remove was that i could set some flags so that it would dissolve the destroyed enemy vehicles as well. So enemy tanks would blow up, and it was as if the forcefield would dissolve it in less than a second.

This was very usefull to prevent people from blocking of the enemy vf with destroyed vehicles.

Another problem with having it as a standard bulletstopping wall, is that everything big that hits the forcefield will explode (which could be what a forcefield does), but with grenades bouncing back of it and fire from normal infantry guns going through it. That just doesn't look professional. If shells explode when hitting a forcefield, grenades shouldn't come bouncing back.

4. Empty

Empty Member

Make the flags destroy vehicles as well, but not weapons. Then add the bulletstop entity.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

Unfortunately i tried all flags, but the only one that affect bullets is the flag "everything", which of course affects vehicles and players as well.

however i can couple it with a filter (as it is now) to prevent a certain team (either NF or BE) to be affected. So that way everything is affected except for one team's vehicles and players. Unfortunately i have no idea how to put two filters at work (both teams).
    btw, weaponsfire from a certain team does not count as being from that team, so eventhough for example NF players are not affected by an entity because of the filter, the missiles they fired will still be as they seem to be neutral.

Edit: i'm gonna need a summary

Want to:
    - Stop shells and missiles from going through the forcefield
    - Have the forcefield (or something behind it) get rid of destroyed enemy vehicles so they don't block everything

Would want to:
    - People inside forcefield to not harm themselves when shooting the forcefield

Things that made it more difficult:
    - Bullets that dissapear instead of explode, do not trigger the end of the sound they make
    - For triggers to affect bullets i need to have it affect everything
    - Filters can cause a trigger to not affect a certain team, but i can only select one filter so only one team
    - Bullet block texture doesn't work as well as i had hoped, but coupled with a func_brush which is not solid can act as wall only for weaponsfire

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ah fuck this. I made it so that shells and missiles impact the damn thing, and i'm compiling it now. In about 20 minutes i'll edit this post and the first one to add the link.

Apart from a quick test i can't make any promises, but if someone puts it on a server and it still has a big problem, just take it off again, warn me, and i'll make an RC7 to fix just that.

*UPDATE* RC6 available:
    =================================================
    http://rapidshare.com/files/131157041/emp_vehicletraining_rc6.rar
    =================================================
    *UPDATE*

Final changelog (compared to RC5)

- Added an info_player_start entity
    - Altered hammer mapsize (slightly smaller) to have 1024 spare units at the edges
    - Raised # of tickets from 80 to 100
    - Added a billboard (hanging on the bridge)
    - Bigger cap areas
    - Now looks (much) better for people who don't use HDR (had no clue it looked so bad without HDR due to those blocky shadows)
    - Slight optimization: Shortened draw distance + increased lightmap scale for the middle rock
    - Put the first flag of either team behind cover
    - Changed all trees to dynamic props and moved them up closer to the surface ==> trees cast shadows now
    - Vehicles die immediately when touching the enemy shield instead of after several seconds
    - Overall improvements to textures and displacements
    - Added repair stations
    - Updated the minimap
    - The base shields act as walls for both friendly and hostile shells and missiles
    - Adjusted resource income

Before:
    BE/NF flags
    8 8
    8 8
    8 8
    8 8
    8 8
    8 8
    8 8
    8 8

1 flag: 8
    3 flags: 24
    5 flags: 40
    7 flags: 56 (max)

Now:
    BE/NF
    32 1
    24 2
    16 3
    8 4
    4 8
    3 16
    2 24
    1 32

1 flag: 32 (x4)
    3 flags: 72 (x3)
    5 flags: 84 (x2+)
    7 flags: 89 (max)

7. Lala

Lala Member

This map goes to the new mirror! :)

EDIT: Map is on my Server! :)

2nd Edit! Server crahed after BE wins! :(

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

So apparantly it makes the server crash when BE wins ...

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Then maybe BE should stop winning, you rail heavy whores :)

10. Lala

Lala Member

i dont use double rails! :headshot: I use double HE ! :P

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

will try it on the ghost server later tonight/tomorrow to see if the same thing happens

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Empires simply crashes when you exit the map.
    So when you are playing it, and you press disconnect from server, it will crash as well.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
    Problem found!

Apparantly if the edge of a trigger hurt touches the box of a ?emp? prop (in this case the repair pad) the game will crash when the map ends/stops/disconnects. This wasn't a problem in RC5 cause the trigger hurt would be big enough so all props would fit entirely in it and therefor not touch the edges of the trigger hurt.

It can touch the model itself though, but it can't touch the (original) box of the prop (the one that doesn't rotate when you rotate the model).

This is such a stupid problem, luckily easily fixed.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  13. Lala

Lala Member

new fixed version ?

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

Is being compiled, should be online this evening if all goes well.

I'm late with this cause something came up. I went to a restaurant with some friends (one of those that serve so much food that no one ever manages to finish their plate). The goal was to eat everything they would throw at us. It took two hours, but we managed to do it! We were very surprised cause we usually don't eat that much, but i assume the decission to get up early and to not eat untill 2 pm helped. Well i did eat a small biscuit so at least my stomach would start working as early as possible.
    ... so now all of us are online complaining about our stomaches
    ... but at least i'm not dizzy anymore.
    ... and all of us are proud ! :D:D

so ... ehm yeah .... take that

Oh and i discovered a rather unknown brand of beer, made in and for the small city we were in, called a "zeuntje". Pretty amazing for something only a handfull of people know about.

While going through dictionaries to reduce spelling mistakes in this post, hammer crashed when i used the "windows" button to minimalize all windows. I know it does that every time but i was distracted so i did it anyway. So ... compiling has begun again.

so ... ehm yeah ....

I'm gonna watch something with a lot of bright colors and movement, or i'll fall asleep.

Aah, good days,they exist.

15. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Use nems batch compiler, compiles faster because it doesnt have hammer running in the background choking resources, and you can do other stuff on your PC wthout the compile crashing and stuff.

Congratulations on eating what is probably an unhealthy amount of food too :)

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Why thank you, it was quite an achievement. I tried it before with someone else but we both failed then. Today when i began to eat it went worse then last time, but i totally went for it and hey, i may have been last but i did it in less then 2 hours. Or at least not much more. I wasn't timing it at the moment.

It's not even that expensive knowing you only eat once on such a day. But we all agreed we'd never do that again. It's a record we'll never break.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  17. Silk

Silk Mapper

18. Lala

Lala Member

i download it now and up it to my server, we will se how it runs! :)

Thx Silk

EDIT: The server runs today only this map. I have changed the servername for it. emp_vehicletraining_rc7 Servertest

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Why thank you a lot

20. Lala

Lala Member

NP man ;) u will faster find some probs :)