Vehicle Upgrades.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metal Smith, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So, I was thinking, if you get one type of engine, but need it to do just one thing better, but you don't need a whole new engine, why not just add an engine upgrade slot that has it's own effects?

Like, Have a cooling upgrade that is less expensive and faster to research, so that you could stick it on, say, a bio diesel engine if that's what you have. Or something to increase horse power, or max speed.

The effect would be similar to, say, an engineers cooling ability or a scout scout speed ability. Just something to augment an engine based upon it's weaknesses, rather than going to get a new engine.

Could possibly just make it so that each vehicle unit skill is also an augment skill, so you'd have speed, damage, armor health, and cooling upgrades.

2. Mr Pling

Mr Pling Member

Possible overpower, actually.

But if you keep the price the same, it's actually a good idea, because it forces said vehicle maker to use limited armour and weapons.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the idea is to have a way to slightly improve an engine (10% maybe) to make it possible to get 1 engine with an upgrade rather than have to get a whole nother engine. Say you need the bio cause of nukes, but the engine is shit for heat dissipation, get engineer and add the heat dissipation upgrade, and it stacks for a total of a 20% heat dissipation increase.

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

lol

3 phase with bio run after over heat properties

5. o_O

o_O Member

3 phase with scout speed and extra speed. Sounds like fun :)

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

running with overheat isn't what I had in mind.

Horse power, Speed, Heat dissipation.

Also, damage and armor upgrade could work in a similar way to the personal skills of a gren and rifleman.

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

I suggest that there should be component and system engine upgrade. Systems would be like the current system with an overlaying gimmick/function, while the components can be upgraded and applied for all of the team's engines in horsepower, speed, heat dissipation, and acceleration.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This will make vehicle creation even more complecated.

I think that the current 5 engines are enough. Adding engine components will just multiply the number of possible engines, which will be much work to balance.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

I see it like

System: Adv. Coolant
    Components:
    • example - |baseline from system|extra component upgrades
      Horsepower - |+|++
      Speed - |+|++
      Acceleration - |+|++
      Heat Dissipation - |++++|

In this example, this vehicle uses coolant, but the team upgraded their components so that the engine is decent all-around.

The four components each upgrade linearly where the system can be switched out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I was thinking of having only 1 of those upgradeable, so it would be like this:

example - |baseline from system|extra component upgrades
    Horsepower - |+|
    Speed - |+|++
    Acceleration - |+|+
    Heat Dissipation - |++++|

That would be just the vehicle upgrade, and not include something like scout speed. scout speed would add probably another 2 +'s to the acceleration and 1 to the speed or something. Engy cooling would probably add 1 or so to the heat dissipation.

Also, these aren't engy upgrades, these would be a single slot addable option in the vehicle customization menu, so you can choose which you wish to augment.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The real thing we need to do here is give engines a star system like that...that would pretty useful, and somewhat awesome ^^

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the star system on the wiki is dead :(

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Components would be pretty cool to add in. Not only as a mini-buff for your engine but for other things as well.

What about a component that makes your vehicle a mobile radar station? Or perhaps gives extra slots for passengers (wait, infantry popped out of the heavy!). There are sooo many cool things we could do with this.

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I agree. I already suggested analog bars for the Vehicle building GUI, but showing the star system for a component would work wonders as well.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Components is a good name for this idea :P

I think that it would also be necessary to not give any component slots to low tech tanks.

Mediums and heavy only I would say, either that or give them 1 extra component spot, and make components cost a hefty sum (300 res give or take :P)