Vehicle suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by [Shane], May 28, 2006.

1. [Shane]

[Shane] Member

Hi there
    I got a suggestion regarding the handling of vehicles. Do you know C&C Renegade? It was kinda similar to Empires, yet it lacked the Commander and the actual building of the base, but i digress.

What i really liked about it was the handling of the vehicles because it felt so right. IMHO it was pretty accurate. And in all honesty, the 3 phase engine makes vehicles pretty unhandable for the more or less average player. I for my part found myself often enough hanging in some wall and spinning around in a quite.... unelegant matter.. not to speak of the disgrace of not being able to aim with the arty because it just moved so fast :D and the 3rd person view was better too imho, because you can see your surroundings better. It's very annoying when you are hanging somewhere but you can't see WHERE, simply because you lack the view. And you don't have mirrors like in real cars or things to check on it.

Well pro of the whole thing: better and easier control over vehicles

Which leads me to another thing: The arty. I think it would be better, if it had a movable cannon, and not a fixed one like now, where you have to move the whole vehicle to aim.

Pro is again better handling. You don't have to move the arty several times again to find the best position to hit the target that was scouted (which is quite the task if equiped with something like the 3PE)

Con on both things would most likely be the 0ld$ch00lers that scream "Then get the sKillz to use it" :o But honestly if the things would be easier to use, we wouldn't have to be pissed at "noobs that can't handle them" so much. And if there accidently ARE many newer players on YOUR team, well, you'd like them to get used to vehicles as fast as possible, no?

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The vehicle physics/code will be changed in future but at the moment, it's not exactly a priority.

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Priority?

Im always wondering what the priority is. Anyone know?

4. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

1. Bug Fixes
    2. Balence Issues
    3. Aircraft
    4. Visuals
    5. Other.

I think. And this falls into 5. Other.

But I agree, make the handeling better so you can make turns with a 3-Phase OR Decrease it so you can do a total spin and come back around to go the right way. (Can't dodge the Ice Berg, hit it head on.)
    But Arty is already to powerful, so no.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  5. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

arty turret should move really slowly.

6. [Shane]

[Shane] Member

Nother suggestion that practically makes the suggestion with moveable arty turret useless:

Make chainvehicles able to turn on the spot. iirc chainvehicles can do that by letting the chains rotate in different directions.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This will be in the next patch.

8. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

When are they going to implement passengers to fire the machineguns of a tank? And make it so that the passengers that take the second seat dont get killed by a random spray of bullets.

9. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

A third person view should never be implemented.

I mean, if a tank drives up towards your base, and misses you, you can still sneak up on the tank and drop a few nades at him or something.

If he had Third person view, he'd see you as soon as you get close, which would suck.

Oh, and there are no mirrors on a tank in real life, most tanks usually have a commander who tells them where and how fast to drive.

Yeah, the charm about tanks in Empires, is that they are very powerful, but they lack a good view of the surroundings, and can therefore easily be outmanouvered by good tactics.

10. Jimather

Jimather Member

Hold on guys, have you ever driven a car ?

the middle pedal is called a brake, its quite an important pedal. You need to press that pedal every now and again becuase cars have to subscribe to the laws of physics unfortunately.

You see, a fast engine on the lightest jeep is no problem once you learn to brake before you try doing a hard turn. Bumpy ground spinning you out ? slow down a bit then, this happens in real life too.

All in all, the JEEP driving physics are as realistic as they can sensibly be, the other problem is the control through a keyboard. Imagine driving a sports car by dropping bricks onto the pedals and the steering wheel to control it, Its not going to be easy.

Luckily this is a game and the analogy is a litle harsh becuase the physics and jeep control are watered down for ease of gameplay.

Even with full control, driving a sports car is not easy, it takes time to learn how fast you can go and what will cause you to lose control. Driving a small family car is easy and does not take much skill.

This is represented in the game by the diferent engines, skilled players are then rewarded for their ability to control the faster vehicle with greater speed, lesser skilled players have to take the time to learn on a slower vehicle before they can fully control the faster vehicle.