Vehicle speed

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -=SIP=-, Jun 29, 2009.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Give the jeep much more horsepower.

Right now the jeep seems to be the slowest vehicle uphill (even sometimes jeep can not climb the hill and you have to walk). But it should be the other way around. Jeep (even with standard engine) should be the fastest vehicle uphill. The current max. speed is ok.

Pro:
    - Jeeps will become more usefull

Slow down the commander vehicle

About 25% - 50% of ninja commanders fails. They get walled in, stucked or just fall into water. And so the rest of the team is pissed.
    Commander currently drive at frontlines, because it sometimes give an advantage for their team (driving over enemy infantry, pushing own infantry).
    But because this isn't the intention of the CV it should be much slower.
    So just half the speed of the CV. It should just be able to drive from one base to another base. Hopefully then we will have fewer ninja commanders, because they can't do much useful at frontlines with such a slow CV.

Pro:
    - Fewer fail ninja commanders

Con:
    - Some commanders must think about another possibility to offend of their own team.

2. Mashav

Mashav Member

Jeep, yes.

Comm, no. Battle comms take risks. The good ones will most of the time help their team (I've killed 6 person rushes by myself), but even sometimes will get unlucky and get stuck. The ability for the comm to do something to impact the progression of their team Is a good thing. Balancing the risk/reward is an important part of being a comm. When you're given something powerful, but If it dies, you lose, then you can either hide it away so it won't be in danger or you can use it to help win, but be careful with it.

Also, for non battle comm situations this would slow down the comms ability to get refs, allow pinning by vehicles to be much easier, and escaping getting walled in or stun stickied harder.

If you really want less comms rushing, increase the starting stall time by 30-60 seconds, as that's when most of it occurs.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Scout-Speed-CV for the win...

I support the jeeps. They need tobe more useful.

4. spellman23

spellman23 Member

But if we give them more horsepower, won't they be able to ram tanks and flip them more easily?

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I think a higher top speed would flip tanks more easily. But more horsepower shouldn't.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Nf comm flips BE afv's and mediums ^.~

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Slowing down the CV won't stop people from boomtanking. To stop it, you have to make a stationary CV more useful than a mobile one. The only suggestion I've seen that would do that is making the CV deployable and giving a boost to tickets/res/research rate/etc when deployed.

8. Drag

Drag Member

The last time I upped the horsepower by +25% the jeeps started fishtailing violently :/ If you want this suggestion done, change the horsepower in the vehicle_engines.txt to your liking, test it, send in the horsepower values or the test scripts to me via pm. If the maneuverability is preserved or improved I'll commit them.

As for CV: A. Can't do. B. Don't want to.

9. o_O

o_O Member

NF comm with scout speed is Jekotia's wrath personified. It absolutly dominates infantry, and flips tanks if you hit them with some speed. If you hit unbuild walls hard enough you have a pretty good chance of jumping them too. BE's comm is more about squishing infantry, still good though.

I like it. Gives the comm something to do.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Jeep donuts ftw!

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Stun stickies and that com cries.

12. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Currently I have only the server version to check the values. There I only can find ..\scripts\nf\vehicles\ground\jeep\nf_jeep.txt.
    Is vehicle_engines.txt only present in the client version?

For the CV:
    Last evening results was one ninja CV walled in, one stucked on a wall and one drove into water.
    So I'm still looking forward for a solution to prevent ninja commanders.

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I support the jeep idea , definitly need some tunning.

For the commander , well slowing it would make a totally different gameplay for the commander , it would make it much more easier to ninja , which is a bad point because we shouldn't be able to ninja so easily. So nerf scout speed CV , yes a little bit , but nerf overall speed , no definitly not.

14. LordDz

Learn 2 drive?

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Maybe we need a commander driving school:
    Commander is alone in his team and has to drive to certain destination. The other team must prevent this.

But I still prefer non ninja commanders.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Sip, there is a spedometer in the testers SVN if you were part of the pug.

17. Drag

Drag Member

^
    If people drive CV's into strange places its their fault. If commanders get their CVs ninjaed in any way, its their team's fault and partly their fault.

The vehicle engines is located in Empires/Scripts/

If a server wouldn't have this file it would either crash on startup or vehicles wouldn't be able to drive at all. BTW. if your empires starts crashing on startup after you made a change you messed up the syntax.

The other file you found is the vehicle's physics script file. Sadly it ALSO contains settings that RESEMBLE "speed" and "horsepower". It's really quite complicated, the vehicle_engines.txt overwrites most of the settings in the nf_jeep.txt except for the gear ratios which govern the torque of the vehicle. The horsepower value itself in the vehicle_engines.txt : I have no idea what it actually does, probably ALSO messes into the equation somewhere as you can't set it randomly. And for hill driving there is also the addgravity parameter which also governs how jeeps jump. ;x

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Risk-reward is not a good thing when it means one player determines the outcome of a game with 40+ people on it.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

There's no way to stop one person losing so long as one person can move the game-deciding vehicle. Stopping that is, of course, stupid.

20. LordDz

But sometimes you HAVE to move it, because of change of base or such ;)