Vehicle non-conventional/extra/misc slot.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Dec 17, 2012.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I think it would be kinda cool (I have no idea on the actual implementation of this, or how it would affect balance) to have a slot in vehicles that allows for random shit that aren't missiles/cannon/mg/arty/grenades. Think things like an ammo crate welded to the back, an extra seat, a firing hatch, a bulldozer shovel to increase running people over potential, or any other ideas that aren't conventional to the normal vehicle combat but would be interesting and shake up the bland "make a tank of the highest tier available, make sure it has x armor x weapons and x engine combo for maximum optimization" style that is current vehicle combat.

2. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Apcs are already mobile amories in the early game, and in the late game, sticking an ammo or even health box on a heavy tank will not do much for infantry combat.

I have no idea why anyone would want an extra firing hatch, because it's already nigh impossible to fire out of them as is.

I suppose an extra seat could be marginally useful... Yeah O.K. nevermind. Who am I kidding? It's more or less useless.

Giving tanks plows to run over infantry is gratuitous in the end game, and shall somewhat unbalance the tenuous relationship that infantry has with early game tanks. Furthermore, the plow would make turning more difficult, either by increasing vehicle width or length.

Simply put, these suggestions would probably necessitate to much work for too little gain. Even if these suggestions were to get implemented, they wouldn't solve the optimization problem of vehicle stats that you ostensibly wish to address; people simply wouldn't waste the extra res or weight getting these things.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This was thought of, but yeah, lots of code support and vehicle GUI usage, hence it never got done. But it was always something we wanted.

4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Yeah firing hatches should face independent to the turret.

5. Empty

Empty Member

I had some cooler ideas than this rubbish, though the extra seat is good (the BE heavy has an open port an infantryman could stick his head out thats currently unused)

I was thinking stuff like:
    Camera (engy camera strapped to your tank)
    Radar (engy radar)
    Loudspeaker (confers your squad bonus if you are a squad leader over a larger radius)
    And on a more scifi-ish aspect:
    Energy Shields (think BF2142, very short shield that protects you from most projectiles)
    Flares (distract guided and homing MLs, including turrets)
    Miniturret (turret that shoots at infantry, weaker than a level 1 or some shit i dunno)
    autoloader (makes reloads faster)
    targeting computer (calculates the path your shot will take )

There was some more stuff I think, I don't remember off the top of my head.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You mean putting them into research tree?

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Some of those look like research entries, but most would work better as skills.

And if there was a build-able space on heavies to put a camera/turret/etc, that's neither a skill nor research. Now that I'm thinking about that last one, that wouldn't be completely OP if heavies were super slow (like they should be).

8. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

More ideas.

Oil slick sprayer
    High powered flash bulb/concussion grenade on-a-stick
    Smokescreen
    flamethrower (although you could make a flamethrower and put it under machine guns anyway)
    Build platform (alternative to empty's camera/radar/turret)
    Larger build platform (Holy shit that thing really is a mobile barracks)
    Taunt bumper sticker (why go through all the trouble of using the voice menu to make fun of those northern traitors?)
    Battering ram (3phase + battering ram = LIGHT TANK THE ARMOR DESTROYER)

9. ImSpartacus

Are you new to the community? I used to be like you.

Now it pains me to come to this part of the forum. So many ideas, some are even decent. But basically nothing can be implemented.

10. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I already said I knew they wouldn't be likely to be implemented, what's wrong with talking about it?

11. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

I don't know; the main problem with these suggestions is just that they seem sort of gimmicky.

I.E. an oil slick sprayer would make tank driving more annoying; tanks shooting concs would actually not be that bad, a smokescreen is night irrelevant in a tank unlike in infantry because tanks can quickly drive through them, because of autospot, and because they have the durability to momentarily scout past a smokescreen, a flamethrower would basically be a short range machine gun that would discourage stickying/upclose grenadiering which is the biggest advantage infantry have against tanks right now, and I'm not going to fill out the rest of these because I think that I've gotten my point across.

However, your suggestion did get me thinking about a possible auxiliary vehicle slot where we could add things such as an autoloader (like empty suggested), reinforced armor, armor piercing shells, etc.

You would be able to choose one of these options or none at all; they could be balanced around respective advantages and disadvantages: i.e. Autoloader would make you fire faster, but each shot would do less damage and you would overheat faster, reinforced armor would make you survive longer, at the expense of overheating faster and moving slower, armor piercing shells would trade anti infantry and anti building combat for supercharged anti tank combat. Again, though, the problem is the actual implementation of these ideas.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I want the idea about bodies getting stuck to the NF heavy tanks on its spikes. That was still the best idea. Triple points if you can code it so that the enemy gets impaled and dies over 5 seconds while you drive around.

13. ImSpartacus

I feel like you're getting your hopes up like I did, but don't let me pit you down. You obviously know what score is, so it's cool.

Wouldn't that be really animation heavy? Or could you just 'stick' part of the body to the front of the tank and let it ragdoll from there?

I always thought it would be cool if mediums had a two-slot MG a two-slot ML/CN (BE/NF) and a two-slot universal anything-can-go-here slot. And aside from sticking another UML or a grenade launcher or a mortar, maybe you could use them for weird things like an "autoloader" that have no "class" and only fit in universal.

In that same vein, that's where the secondary rider turret MG upgrade would go. Or maybe a "dummy" upgrade item that lets you put on more plates of armor in exchange for making the universal slot worthless.

But alas...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  14. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

We need more clan PPC's

15. ViroMan

Well the idea was when you run over someone on the tank drivers side its a ragdoll that is placed on tank. On person who gets run over side... they are stuck to a tank for 5 seconds dieing unable to do anything.

16. ImSpartacus

Ok, I guess that require any art, but that definitely needs some code. Bummer

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  17. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

I assume that you're referring to mechwarrior?

18. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Did someone say mechs ? :)

19. ViroMan

did they?
    [​IMG]