Vehicle Max Speed?

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Drag0wn, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Just testing some custom content here, but it appears no vehicle can go faster than 182 KM/H. Is this hardcoded into empires? Is there a way around it?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The only thing that should even reach this speed is a fighter jet. :o

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

it could also be an effect of the tires loosing grip thus less power can be transferred to the ground.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

my car is a fighter jet ^^

5. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Viroman> well I increased horsepower as well, and there are no traction difficulties (drifting is another matter)

DDD > actually that's not overly fast - actual fighter jets go many hundreds of KM an hour, and cars can go over 200 miles an hour on a track. If anything, terrain should make a bigger difference in Empires, but the coding of that would be insane.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I know that, don't take me for a peasant - I was talking Empires-wise. Going very very fast in Empires wouldn't actually achieve anything other than outrunning missiles.

7. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Well you can climb a lot more things with the Hyperdrive (my fast engine). Takes a few maps to a whole new level, like m_valley or cyclopean. Also, it makes spotting or countering a lot harder. Hit-and-run nuke tank, for example, going 120 KM/H. Driving takes serious skill though.

8. ViroMan

What parameters did you use for the engine? You might be limiting the RPM or axel ratio, or gearing in some way.

9. 101010

101010 Member

What vehicle you using and what did you set the weight to?

Only ask cuz as is if you just increase the max speed vehicles they seem to just want to flip.
    just got done flipping a NF Med half way across slaughtered.
    Was bored so decided to see how fast I could make it from main to main.

10. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

No flipping involved, and I have observed this max speed with every vehicle (jeep, APC, LT, Med, and Heavy). They will not accelerate beyond 182 KM/H on a flat, open surface, despite having an engine with a max speed far higher.

I did not change weights, as I've never found those to do much.

11. ViroMan

I have done some testing myself. It seems this max limit is true. I have adjusted weight to 2k to keep the jeep down, pushed its HP to 2k, given axle ratio of 7, then switched all gears to 3, and brought max rpm up to 10k. I get up to 182 rather quick and then it holds.

12. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

That limit is so strange and arbitrary - I wonder if Empires' code sets that limit, or if source itself will not handle objects with a higher velocity.

I would like to know if there's a way around this, but it doesn't look like it :confused:

13. ViroMan

Object Max speed has to be higher since cannon shots seem like they go faster then that. However it may just be vehicles that are limited to that speed.

14. 101010

101010 Member

With how small the maps are why would you need faster?
    Pretty sure it's a source thing. But I know there is ways around it. Gmod has some game modes that allow faster. I would look there and see how they achieved higher speeds.
    There a velocity speed setting but I think that just works for things like MLS and cannons.

15. ViroMan

They probably use force pushes to achieve that. Rocket attachments for example. Force push is completely different from using engine. On that note... I wonder if using turbo at top speed would make it go past that point.

16. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Turbo does not push the speed limit, at least when I tried it:pathetic:

17. ViroMan

awww..

18. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

This might actually be source's vehicle speed limit without usage of physics tools - although we still haven't gotten Candles in here:mad:

All I want is a crazy question answered:p

19. 101010

101010 Member

I think its a vphysics thing. Not sure if empires uses a modded one or stock.
    I'd check but have too much to do this week then away on holiday for a week.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  20. ViroMan

so I played with max speed a bit more and got it to do 186 before I couldn't keep the damn thing strait. It could be possible to do more if I played with the struts and what not to make it go strait but, bah too much work. I used physics to do it too. :)