Vehicle Customization GUI Bug

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

When I was joining the 108 server earlier this evening I hit 'v' accidentally before I had joined a team. I couldn't close the screen by hitting the [x], cancel, or ESC. I disconnected and rejoined the server and the vehicle customization screen was still there. I only got it to go away by closing out of the game and restarting Empires. Any ideas?

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

hit enter, that usually clears the main screen, but I'm not sure in your case.

Introduction:
    The problem is that screens go in order, team selection, class selection, spawn selection, commander selection then, if you're bright, squad selection and skill selection (vehicle selection later, i guess, if anyone actually uses it). For the most part, you can only interact with the dominate screen (the step you are currently on), and the other ones are just in your way.

Suggested Changes:
    You can never skip a step, so you shouldn't be able to access the screens to steps you can't reach yet (except skill of course).

It would be cool if at class selection you could pick the skills to be used once you met the requirements (they wouldn't work till you had the required points) to save some time down the line. Polish, I know.

Also, you should automatically spawn at a location if it is the only option (and dead players could be notified that their spawn location has changed) Having to pick your spawn at the beginning of the game is pretty silly on most maps and looks sloppy.

Conclusion:
    Making the menus more intuitive and responsive has progressed well, but still has a ways to go.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yeah the menus are excellent, but this bug (where another screen can come up on top of yours but you can't click anything) is quite irritating.

all KT's ideas are good

why not prevent people even accessing the vehicle menu without pressing the vehicle menu screen? I always prefered it like that becuase it just felt a bit more interesting that pressing V button when you're in the right sorta place.

4. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

That's a good idea sandbag

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

why not make the windows moveable? tha tway you can mvoe the obstructing window and click on the right buttons :D

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

I wish there was a way to keep them from popping up automatically.

7. Chahk

Chahk Member

Can the buttons that call up various windows be made to toggle them on and off?

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

That would indeed be a nice step forward. Press 'c', choose a squad, and press 'c' again to close the window. Same with all the other windows.