Vehicle Armor/weapon weights

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MomoZMonster, Sep 14, 2007.

1. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Most importantly:
    Why does the single slot chain gun weigh the same as the double slot medium chain gun ?

Also vehicle weights are so weird now. Its so nutty to get done putting stuff on a tank to be over weight by so little that 1 plate needs to be taken off then having like 20 lbs of free weight.
    I think the customization is much to complicated to get a useful tank quickly. Gotta sit there and trial and error miximatch till something works. People getting shot outside , vf gets blown up before its all setup.
    Think of the emp_recruits/casual players trying to figure it.

2. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I'd quite like the idea of two weight limits (making things more complicated may be the opposite of what you meant though) the first could be where the limit is now and the second would be a hundred or so higher - if you go over the first limit then your speed is severely affected but the tank still works until you go over the second.
    e.g. if theres a 100lb gap between the two weights, lose 0.5% of max speed for each lb over, maybe even 1% of speed.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I think the word you're searching for is: "vehicle-weight-capacity-upgrade-skill". More useful than the rifleman's current damage boost?

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what you're all looking for is the fact that actually this is already implemented!

it just doesnt mention where the first point is, that's all.

-----------------

i agree that the 2 slot versions of weapon should never weigh the same as 1 slot... even if the 2 slot version is only a little bit heavier it still should have a difference. I noticed this, it irritated me. i'm guessing it will irritate / confuse other people too.

5. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Really the issue is the 2 slot to single slot weight difference.

The whole part about weapon and armor weights was just to see what the consensus thinks.

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

IMO, the 2-slot may weigh the same, but remember, it's more powerful. It takes up the room of TWO chainguns, but for the same weight. Remember, that's 70 whatever-the-heck weight units you can now use for a cannon instead of a second chaingun.

Argh, I kept writing chaingum.

7. FalconX

FalconX Developer

This was my original plan, and the code for something like this is already there. The problem is that engines are differentiated into tank, apc, and jeep engines, rather than light tank, med tank, and heavy tank, which means there would be a single weight-speed limit applied to all tanks, which doesn't really work.

Also, to address the people complaining about how they have to take off a plate because they're only a little weight over: that's the point. The system is designed to make you sacrifice plates for weapons. I used the nature of the hard cap to allow for slightly more variation in weapon weight.

The short answer is that when you sacrifice a plate and are then under by 20, you weren't supposed to be able to mount that much in the first place.

8. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Right but if the single slot only takes up one slot assuming its a bit smaller since it takes up one less slot, shouldn't it weigh less?

9. daVinci

daVinci Member

I think what he's saying, though, is how cumbersome it is trying to outfit the "perfect-weighted" tank while your vf/base/person is getting attacked. Tis the nature of the beast at this stage, but it'd be nice if there was more automation in the tank building interface so you could pay more attention to blasting fools than tipping the scales -- maybe when you choose an armor it automagically maxes out the armor slots based on current weight, then user can add/subtract as necessary.

-daV

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I can make two cardboard boxes, one twice the size of the other, weigh exactly the same. It just depends on how much crap is in them.

11. nhammen

nhammen Member

I'd like to be able to create vehicle costomizations at the main menu, if possible, so I could do it while I have the 'auto-join as soon as a slot becomes available' slot checked. I'm not doing anything else at this time, so I might as well be productive doing something. Might as well allow specs to do this as well...

12. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well when you can start your own server, you can do all of that on your own server.

13. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

How about a button in the armor selection screen that does essentially the same thing? It would auto-add more armor to the front, then less to the sides, then the least to the rear because that's how most people like it, then the user can customize it as he feels necessary.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That's a great suggestion for the next major version. Spectators would be able to access it by just pressing escape, so it only needs to be done in one place.

I've added it to the suggestions thread here for you, hope you don't mind.