VBSP crashes while compiling

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by ChewyIsKickAss, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ChewyIsKickAss

ChewyIsKickAss Member

I decided to try my hand at empires mapping, and set up the SDK for it. I made a conquest map that wasn't great, but it worked. Then I tried making a standard map and upon compiling VBSP crashed. I tried making a different map, under the impression that some component of my map wasn't made correctly, and it crashed again. I read the wiki on mapping and it said nothing about this, so I decided I'd ask for help.

Here's the compile process text.

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\chewyiskickass\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires" "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Empires\maps\emp_blah"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Mar 11 2008)
    2 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Empires\maps\emp_blah.vmf
    Can't find surfaceprop grass for material COMMON/TERRAIN/TERRAIN_GRASS_01A, using default
    "materials/dev/water_normal.vtf": cached version doesn't exist
    Can't find surfaceprop water for material MAPS/EMP_MVALLEY/WATER_ATI, using default
    "materials/tools/toolsnodraw.vtf": cached version doesn't exist
    material "stone/stonestair001a" not found.
    Material not found!: STONE/STONESTAIR001A
    "materials/Tools/toolsskybox.vtf": cached version doesn't exist
    Can't find surfaceprop default_silent for material COMMON/TOOLS/TOOLSSKYBOX, using default
    Can't find surfaceprop concrete for material COMMON/ICA/ICAWALL04A, using default
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces..."materials/dev/water_normal.vtf": cached version doesn't exist
    Can't find surfaceprop water for material maps/emp_mvalley/water_ati_beneath, using default
    done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    "materials/dev/water_normal.vtf": cached version doesn't exist
    Can't find surfaceprop water for material maps/emp_blah/maps/emp_mvalley/water_ati_depth_1175, using default
    done (0)
    writing C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Empires\maps\emp_blah.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/empsky_day2*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/empsky_day2*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\chewyiskickass\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires" "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Empires\maps\emp_blah"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Mar 11 2008)
    2 threads
    reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\empires\maps\emp_blah.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\empires\maps\emp_blah.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\chewyiskickass\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires" "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Empires\maps\emp_blah"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Mar 11 2008)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
    2 threads
    Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
    Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
    Warning: Couldn't open texlight file c:\program files\steam\steamapps\chewyiskickass\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\lights.rad.
    Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\empires\maps\emp_blah.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\empires\maps\emp_blah.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Empires\maps\emp_blah.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\maps\emp_blah.bsp"

2. Spooky

Spooky Member

Aha! your lucky you posted this on the forums, I was a sheer noob and brought it to cyber, but before I realized it I was using some non-empires textures and missed the top, bottom and right walls of my skybox.

take this lesson from my fail, when you first make a map, start with the skybox first and make it a bit bigger then you actually think you'll need, that way you can adjust accordingly and theres no hassle of going backwards to redo the skybox!

3. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i can't see the main issue but i CAN tell you that its in the bsp section.
    The other build programs are reporting errors finding emp_blah.bsp which means vbsp didnt work, as it outputs the bsp file.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

http://www.interlopers.net/errors/

you are missing your lights.rad file. It couldnt find it and couldn't auto make the lights.

Also, did you replace the old fdg with the new fdg?

The empires client software didn't come with the updated .fdg

but if you already had an fdg, it wasn't deleted either.

5. ChewyIsKickAss

ChewyIsKickAss Member

I don't really get what you mean by this. I redid the skybox and it still crashes.

Yes, hence the title of the thread.

Yes, I got the new .fgd. How do I replace my lights.rad file?

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

You want to send the VMF to me?
    I should be able to figure it out all nice and easy.

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Looks like you are using materials that arent installed in the right directories?

8. ChewyIsKickAss

ChewyIsKickAss Member

So if I reinstalled empires and the SDK they'd be in the right place?

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I don't think that is the problem.
    In fact, I really don't think that is the problem.

Just let someone see the vmf at this point if that doesn't work.

10. ChewyIsKickAss

ChewyIsKickAss Member

You're right. It isn't. The problem is that I was using the SDK's default skybox texture instead of the one provided with empires. This confused me because they've got the same name, except the empires one has "common/" in its directory.

I fixed it and it compiled right.

Then I followed the guide to setting a minimap up (And I followed it precisely) and it's still a missing texture. I really don't know what could be wrong but my map isn't really decent enough to function anyway so if anyone could help it'd be great, but if not that's fine too.

11. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The missing texture thing isn't a huge deal most of the time. I know Shadows spams the error out with some textures. Just the textures don't always have full info, even if they are not needed... well they work in game perfectly but vbsp wants that info.