Valve's native Linux build of L4D2, 6 fps to 315

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chupacabra, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, Apple is hell bent on shoving as much GPU power into its machine as technologically possible. Next year's Macbooks will all use Haswell's GT3 GPU, which is going to triple (or at least double) Ivy Bridge's GT2 performance.

CPU performance requirements have topped out for the average consumer, so Intel is just cramming bigger GPUs into their CPUs (erm SoCs?). In a few years, the <$200 GPU market will be obsolete.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I know that, it's a retarded idea. Why does everything always have to be about minimalism and glowing menus with all these artsy people? OS developers really need to go back to being nerds, not annoying "user-friendly" advocates.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Microsoft doesn't have OS developers anymore, just GUI kids who kick the code around till something makes them lol. It shows.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Windows 8 looks shitty, I won't disagree. But Windows 7 is a wonderful operating system and everyone involved with its creation should be given a Knighthood. It is just simply a joy to use.

You however, have no opinion on this matter, as you use XP, and no-one using XP in 2012 is allowed an opinion on anything.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It is interesting how everyone loves Windows 7, but Vista got all the hate. It was only a gradual step from Vista + SP 1 to Windows 7.

6. Trickster

I didn't mind Vista that much. It was a bit sluggish but I don't think it deserved even close to the amount of hate that it got. I much preferred it to XP.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

8. ViroMan

Do I have windows xp x64 on my machine? yes but, I have to use the silly windows 7 everywhere else with people who have problems. I help them solve issues with windows 7 often. The damn thing is made to be nice to people who don't know computers and terrible to people who do know computers. Fixing a network issue can be a pain in the ass in windows 7. In XP I can just do a few clicks and the problem is identified or fixed. Windows 7 is a bit more convoluted. I agree there are upsides to it but, it still needs work in my opinion.

[Insert "then you don't know computers" comments]

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I still do prefer Windows XP, it just seems more polished and straight-forward to me than Windows 7 does. But 7 has better compatibility with modern programs and drivers, which is why I use it.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

win+r -> ncpa.cpl

http://ss64.com/nt/run.html
    equally easy access in all win versions from xp onward

you know whats funny, one of the good things in 7/vista is what most users hate - UAC ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. ViroMan

indeed... if I had the cash I would upgrade to windows 7. Im not hating on it... I just don't like some parts of it. There is no way I would upgrade to windows 8(even though the price is going to be in the $30s)

12. flasche

im sceptical about metro too, especially since im the type of user who tries to avoid clicking as much as possible :D

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That confused me too, I don't get why win7 is supposedly miles better. I could hardly tell the difference honestly.

14. Trickster

I must admit, if I have to say there's one single flaw I can think of with Windows 7, it's that it is far too difficult to dick with your network settings, especially your network adapters.

Pay? For an operating system?

[​IMG]

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The OS is one of the few things i would recommend buying, because if your OS has a security hole, no virus/malware scanner in the world can detect that. Also, i like my regular updates from MS. Not that i ever had to pay for any version of Windows in the last years. ;)

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Interestingly enough, "unofficial" copies of Windows 7 are easier to update than they were for Windows XP.

17. Trickster

Which is why you always get an MSDN version where you can compare the MD5 or whatever.

18. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

it's ironic since it's from would i lie to you :D.

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

And PCs should just be used by nerds as well? You've got to be kidding me.

20. flasche

well it at least wouldnt hurt if pc users would invest a little time in learning a bit about the machine they want to operate. its wishful thinking though ...