Upgrades, general gameplay

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Great Grizzly, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

Its nice to see that empires has not died. I remember playing a month before 2.0 came out and noticed that there was no one playing. It kind of broke my heart. Its also amazing how much the mod improved from when it first became public.

Anyways, I wanted to congratulate the mod team on sticking with it and getting a great idea into a workable mod.

Now here is my 2 cents:
    There are a lot of characteristics between late game vehicles and weapons and early game vehicles and weapons. Basically, whoever gets to the biggest baddest tank, engine, armor, and weapon will guarantee a win. This is good in the fact that it encourages people to look ahead towards the future of the team and act accordingly. However this also means the team that is lagging behind will lose. The fact that regenerative armor is like 4 times the strength of plain armor irks me because it is sooo much of an improvement. In almost every RTS, upgrades are a very small improvement (For example, in starcraft some upgrades give all ground units a 10% armor bonus), but they are still worthwhile because they give one side the edge. Upgrades in Empires are extreme, so even an elite tanker in plain armor will get dominated by someone who is a novice with the latest armor and weapons.

There is a lot of complaint about the effectiveness of the rocket launchers in late game. A rocket cuts through 2 plates of plain armor and damages the hull of tanks. Late game, it does half damage to one plate. (Of course it depends on the armor) This isn’t because the rocket launcher is weak, its because the upgraded armor is way too strong.
    Upgrades should be a little improvement. So late game, a good team that happens to lag behind in research can still win, but it’s just harder because they have inferior weapons.

In cutting down the improvement on a lot of the upgrades, other things won’t have to be upgraded to become effective.

And no, I am not trying to imitate the other grizzly. So quit harrassing me.

2. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

A soon-to-be released patch will make the grenadiers more effective against tanks via infantry research.

3. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

That wouldnt even be needed if upgrades where not that improved. More things will also need to be upgraded too. Lvl3 turrets suck against a heavy tank with composite. There might have to be an upgrade for that too. Everything will have to be upgraded to compensate for the improved tanks. It might just be easier to decrease the upgrade improvements to the tanks.

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Upgrades in Empires aren't extreme. Nukes are bugged that's all.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I entirely agree. I can't see how a 25% in the health of all upgrade armours would harm the game. I really can't. it'd just be more fun.

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

This could be a nice experiment to try out...

Right now all of the armors just have more HP; and whatever special ability they have is just extra candy...

What if all of the upgraded armors resembled plain much more; but their "Specialty" was played up alot more?

7. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

You do know that each armor have strenghts and weaknesses right?

Try to use Biological weapons against regen armor, the tank wouldn't have a chance at all.

Now, this would be useful if you could actually know which armor the enemy had but no, that's not possible.

8. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

Needs to be a more defined line between 2 armor types. Less HP per layer, but 50% less damage done if its missle, rocket, HE, ect.

This means that if one team is behind, they can exploit the weakness of the enemys armor and get back into the game.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

or vice versa (because the weak team won't be able to research a counter because they have no money, but the rich team will)

no, i agree with ya, i was just throwing that out for discussion

10. Hebrew_Hero

Hebrew_Hero Member

As much as Id hate to say. I dissagree.

With improvment of armor, comes protection. With these new weapon upgrades for grens, they can no counter the armor. So, its basically not being balanced. As with real life, to game life. Its he with the better position who wins. I may comment later on this after playing 2.1 but as of now. So we shall see what becomes of the battles in the future.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

not sure what you're arguing there hebrew...

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I believe the grenadier armor detection skill tells you what armor type is being used.

13. Hebrew_Hero

Hebrew_Hero Member

what im saying is, with 2.1 coming, the whole, idea of weakening armor is dumb. its dumb anyway.

14. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

How?

I've tried that, it just shows armor plates, not what armor type is being used.

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I am pretty certain that armour detection does no such thing

16. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Yeah, if one rocket makes all the pretty lines disappear, its probably standard.

17. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i believe you can find this on someones sig, but (as, krenzo put it) "if you want realism go outside."

i would love having all researched armor drop %25-30 hp and gain more dmg reduction due to what they are strong against (and give regen more regening?), plus give armor detection the ability to tell the type of armor used.

there was a thread for that. the general argument for it was that you can tell what weapons they have by looking at the explosions, so you should be able to tell what armor they have by taking a skill.

18. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

But still, there's 5 different armor types.

19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

If 2-3 disappear, and later one of them is back, its probably regen.

If all but one or two, its probably Abs.

If the tank takes no damage but cant fire back, its reactive.

If the tank takes no damage, but fires a nuke at you, its composite.

If the tank takes no damage from one attack, but explodes from another, its reflective.

20. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

There is no way to tell from the upgrade the armor type. Your best bet is to shoot it and see how the armor reacts.

Also, the armor descriptions should say what the strengths and weaknessess of an armor type is.