Updating Empires Servers

Discussion in 'Support' started by A-z-K, Dec 30, 2012.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Disclaimer: This is going to overwrite some files. You must backup all your files and check your scripts, map cycles, configs, etc once patched OR install to a new location and copy things over. Take a folder copy backup of your current Empires Server installation or verify you can restore files from your backup solution.

The official steam method is well detailed here using SteamCMD but I would suggest using Didrole's tool as it does not require opening additional ports.

Note that if updating multiple instances you will need to apply this for each one. That means running the tool against more than one directory.
    "C:\****\Empires Main Server"; "C:\****\Empires Test Server"; or wherever your instances are. Make a notepad now & use copy and paste so there are no typo's.

Updating using Didrole:
    Tested working on Windows Server 2008 SP1.
    It is not immediately obvious from the link but it is compiled for Windows (the installation notes show command syntax for Linux boxes). You need to download UpdateTool-0.3.rar

• Extract the RAR to any memorable location
    • Run a command prompt with elevated / local administrator permissions
    • Navigate to the folder where you extracted the files to
    • As explained below you can use this tool to update an existing installation OR install to a new location.

Update Syntax Example:
    updatetool.exe -command update / install -game 17740 -dir "C:\Folder Path to Empires\" -username SteamUsername -password SteamPassword -verify_all

The inputs above are in italics:
    • -command update - Tells the tool you are updating an existing server.
    • -command install - Tells the server you are installing a new server.
    • -game 17740 - tells the server the Steam AppID, in the case of Empires you need to use "17740"
    • -dir - This is the installation path to the Empires Server files. It is probably worth noting that for us it was "C:\*****\Empires\orangebox" .
      NOTE: It is very important that you use a full local file path & wrap it with quotation marks to help it parse any spaces.
      Use an existing path in conjuction with "-command update" Or a new path in conjunction with "-command install"
    • -username SteamUsername - Where Username is the Steam account you will use to connect to steam and download the files. It is a good idea to have a separate account setup for this.
    • -password SteamPassword - Self explainatory
    • -verify_all - This will verify all the files once they have been installed. Highly recommended.

Additionally if you have not verified the steam account you are using to update on your server then it will send an e mail with the Steam verification code to the registered primary e mail account. In this case you will need to run the same command again but include the verification code by adding this switch:

• -steam_guard_code 5char - where "5char" is replaced by the verification code steam will e mail.

That should be it. It will download the files to the given location. I recommend saving the commands you used into a text file (perhaps remving the steam account password for security sake) so that next time you can just copy paste.
    -------------------------
    Reserved for future use
    -------------------------
    Now you need to go through all the customisations on your server and check them. These are going to be different for each server but all we needed to do when updating VIPER was fix the Jeep Turbo plugin. Maps with the same name were overwritten but configs remained, admin tools, map vote stuff all appears to be working as before.

Please PM me any changes or updates that should be made and I will update the original post to keep this thread simple & clean.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just ran it, seems to work perfectly. Thanks for putting the time in.

One thing though, I don't think using the command "install" works. I tried doing it to an empty folder and it just said the command was invalid every time. Put update in and it worked perfectly.

Stickied the thread.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I'll just put this here. If someone wants to make a listen server show up, change your listenserver.cfg and then type this in your console:
    map emp_ilovedz; sv_password ilovedz; maxplayers 32; sv_lan 0; heartbeat

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'll be updating the OP this weekend. It is accurate for updating existing installations. However I notice it is in the wiki under installation and by my testing it falls short - I'll be ammending the the OP with the additional steps required for installation from scratch.

On a side note - the hostname in server.cfg is "Empires v2.30" by default. I know its a really shitty little thing that makes no difference but I thought I'd note it.