update the wiki!!!

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Apr 18, 2011.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

as i read the forums on a daily basis i know where to find things, but for those who only drop by every now and then the wiki probably is the best resource when it comes to empires-specific mapping questions.

would someone with more insight and better english go over the wiki pages on mapping and update them?

this one would be need it most, but a review on the entity section would be handy too ...
    http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Configuring_Hammer_for_Empires

the steps for setting up hammer would be:
    1.) extract the vbsp.exe out of empires.gcf and put it somewhere in some folder. gcfscape can be found easily using google. if you put it in the same folder as the default one, you should rename it. as bonus provide it as seperate download with a link.
    also as i heard POM is getting removed, prepare to delete that section again.
    2.) edit or create the source2007 gameconfig.txt
    the one below is mine, so flasche235 needs to be replaced with your name. (it should read <steamname> on the wiki). keep the explanation in case ppl got more then one game using the 2007 sdk ...

also please note. this is on win7x64. on 32bit versions "program files (x86)" lack the (x86) part - it would be just "program files"
    Code:
    "Configs"
    {
            "Games"
            {

"Empires"
    		{
    			"GameDir"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\empires\empires"
    			"hammer"
    			{
    				"TextureFormat"		"5"
    				"MapFormat"		"4"
    				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.250000"
    				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"16"
                                    "DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
    				"DefaultPointEntity"		"info_player_start"

"GameExeDir"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\Source SDK Base 2007"
    				"MapDir"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\empires\sourcesdk_content\empires\mapsrc"
    				"CordonTexture"		"tools\toolsskybox"
    				"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
    				"GameExe"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2.exe"
    				"BSP"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp_empires.exe"
    				"Vis"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
    				"Light"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
    				"BSPDir"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\empires\empires\maps"
    				"GameData0"		"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\flasche235\empires\empires\empires.fgd"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	"SDKVersion"		"3"
    }

oh and also delete teh section about the classic way to setup hammer. its complete and utter bs to do it that way. if one isnt capable of following the above steps (or those then explained in the wiki), he probably will fail mapping anway ...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. flasche

nvm edited myself, feel free to correct errors or reset the "classic way" of setup - which is only retarded to do anyway ...

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Did mootant edit vbsp? I don't think empires needs the one in the empires directory to work.

4. flasche

i was reffering to this, solokiller seemed competent enough to me ...
    as i understand it, as long as you dont use any texture with POM you wont notice - so its no absolute must but it doesnt hurt anyway. and after POM is gone again (hopefully thats soon or it at least gets an option to turn it off) you just have to relink it in the .cfg and delete the section about it on the wiki - so not much work actually ...

please correct me ...
    ... solokiller?

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Any texture with parallax mapping compiled with the wrong version of vbsp will appear as fullbright in game, but don't ask me if this problem will ever be solved. MOOtant knows more.