Update 2.4 is LIVE [Server Owners read here]

Discussion in 'General' started by w00kie, Dec 22, 2012.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Quick post, incase anyone is freaking out right now

Code:
    20:32 - -₪EPIC₪- Jephir: fuck it
    20:32 - -₪EPIC₪- Jephir: we'll do it live
    20:32 - -₪EPIC₪- Jephir: pushing the patch
    20:32 - -₪EPIC₪- Jephir: god help me

That means, after slightly breaking the current Empires, Jephir released the new patch over steampipe. Directly, for all of us, for free, for Christmas, for the lulz.

Clients should get the patch normaly over steam without any work. You are fine if your title screen looks like this. (Your settings might get lost)

Server Owners refer to SteamCMD to update with SteamPipe.
    Vicky is trying that method right now, if you can connect to Viper with new release then everything went well.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We'll do proper news posts and stuff once we actually get the issues sorted out.

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

yeah :)

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

patching vipers now

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

jesus guys. my 7770 is still in the mail

6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Empires Failed to start (missing executable)

Last couple of days Empires would boot me mid game and state that a file is corrupt when I try to rerun. I force a integrity check and it downloads all of empires again - which takes about 45 minutes.

Today it booted me mid game, it showed upgrade - which came down fairly quick - about 10-15 minutes. Now every time I spawn Empires it says:

Steam Error
    Failed to start game (missing executable).
    See the Steam support site for information.
    OK

The support site just shows:
    Help Desk Error
    The specified article does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\hl2.exe\shell\open\command
    default - contains:
    "d:\program files\steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires\hl2.exe" "%1"

hl2.exe file is MISSING ! What happened to it ?
    Also there are alot of empty folders in the ...\empires\hl2 folder. Looks like HL2 was uninstalled.

So no empires for Xmas for me :(

Vinnie

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Changelog here

Justgofly, you shouldve had to have fully downloaded empires for the update to apply (steam shouldve done this automatically). Id start by verifying game cache files for empires, then source sdk base 2007 and then games such as halflife 2 if you have them installed

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Empires development at its best. ^^

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I don't have HL2 installed. I have Left4Dead2, Empires and Team Fortress 2. Each verify correct. Those folders do seem to be full and correct, but my HL2 folder is mostly empty. The executable that spawns Empires is HL2.exe and that is missing.

Bad upgrade !

Vinnie

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Same problem like JustGoFly but i do have all hl2.exes

11. Reznov

Reznov Member

JustGoFly can you replace that default line with this?

"d:\program files\steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires\..\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe" "%1"

IDK if that will make any difference.

edit: Damn he is offline... btw why does it say empires\..\source sdk base 2007?

12. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Ya - I replace the line since HL2.exe is not in my system path. I updated the other thread with details. Sorry bouncing back and forth.

It ran - but I can't join any games. I tried two servers.

It won't work from inside steam, but does from the batch file after I replaced the HL2.exe and some other missing files.

No good. It runs with new initial screen, but when I try to join a game it says:
    "Disconnected: Server uses different class tables".

No empires :( But I do see a handful of guys are playing.

Vinnie

13. Trickster

Different class tables means you have outdated DLLs.

We spoke to MOOtant and he said that for the first time, it might take 24h for everything to reach out. We're not so confident but we're out of ideas for now. If it doesn't fix after that then all we can do is contact Valve.

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I had mising Executable and it fixed itself seemingly.
    I ran the batch file. Restarted steam for some unknown reason) and when I restarted it was cool

15. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

17. Trickster

Upon looking through the files, it does seem like we have a conflict. It seems like the old system is delivering the previous version, with the new system delivering the current version. Because they save/work in different locations, they're essentially overriding eachother and erroring. I'm not Jephir so I'm just guessing at this, but it does seem to be an issue. We may have to speak to Valve and get the previous system deactivated.

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

last time the class tables gave an error, it was because people did not have a certain version of Visual studio or something. So we had to go DL run time for it.

19. Neoony

Neoony Member

this time you need to delete gcfs
    but like i said more info http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=17068

20. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I've figured out quite a bit to fix this and now all the frustration for some of us makes sense. Reznov - you and I and possibly trickster have been tainted by the PUG test install.The development team should have revealed this information and I challenge them to state this is incorrect.

1) Install of 2007 SDK does nothing
    2) My claims that the supporting files are missing from Empires\Empires:
    reason: Empires USED to run the supporting files including HL2.exe from Empires\Empires. The newer version is now installing them into :
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<username>\Source SDK base 2007
    This also explains why WE had to change the batch file to run from Empires\Empires but others do not.
    We were not instructed to delete the SOURCE*.GCF files. If you don't do this it will not run the install for the Source 2007 SDK files.

Fix: Delete the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Source*.* files.
    Rerun the Source 2007 SDK install. In addition to putting those source files back the install will add the supporting files to your "Source 2007 SDK Files" folder. Then the OLD batch file which we all claim is wrong will work, since it runs the HL2.exe from that folder.

Mine runs but I still can not connect to a game since my "Class Table" files do not match.

I believe the PUG ran the HL2.exe and support files from the old empires location. We have to delete the source*.gcf files inorder to get the new supporting files.

I used do have Visual Studio 2008 installed on this machine, so could that be causing my issue with "Class Tables".

Someone on the dev team should be able to explain how the "Class Tables" work. They should also explain the differences between old and new since this move of the supporting files is obviously a change that is unannounced and the cause of many of the testers problems.

Vinnie