Unknown aliens from Half Life 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickjaoe, Jun 6, 2006.

1. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I know this should be somewhere else but steam forums suck ass and I dont want to register anywhere else, besides you guys kick ass.
    I've seen these aliens before I just never got around to taking a screen shot of them, but does anybody know what they are. There from the citadel towards the end of the game. There are two different aliens.
    The pictures are a little dark.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Those are synth, half-biotic half robotic creatures that the combine forced evolution upon.

4. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

I don't know if there is a discussion on english somewhere in the internet.
    All people, which can read some german may look here.

We started that after finishing HL2 with "Teil1", but it soon grow to something bigger. We discuss about all and everything in the HL-universe, we put up theories etc. It is the biggest discussion-thread about HL at least in german. Everyone, who can write at least some words in german, is welcome to take part.

There is also explained, what kind of combine that is, shown on the pictures above.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

morat synth and some other synt that I've forgotten the name of.

From what I recall from the raising the bar book, the ocmbine are some form of alien nanobots that enslave organic beings.

It was something borg like if I remember correctly.

6. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

theres also some kind of half human thing with eli's feet. Does anyone know what that is?

7. ^Dee^

stalkers.

They're humans with their organs and limbs removed and genetically modified to survive primarily on saline for easier management.

IIRC, all the children and old people left after the 7 hour war were turned into stalkers but valve felt it was too gruesome to explain it in game or something.

8. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

Now, they have another explaination for this: Every human that is against the combine (rebels like eli, alyx, kleiner, cubbage odessa and of course Gordon) is turned into this.

9. ^Dee^

not exclusively but yes, they would do that. More useful as a stalker than dead.

10. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

Well, at least, this is, what Alyx says in Epi1

11. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

That in the first picture be a mortar synth and the entire last set of picures, it has no real name, some think it is a flying bomber thingy, maybe we'll find out in Episode 2 or 3.

That in the second, third, and fourth pictures be a crab synth, it also has no real name, it's just called that because it looks like a crab (and maybe that's what the model is named). Again, maybe it will be included in Episode 2 or 3. Though I seriously doubt Episode 2.

If you don't know what synths are, they are kind of like Combine pets put to war. Creatures from combine-owned worlds forced to evolve to suit the combine's need. Striders are them, The gunships are them, even Gargantulas from HL1 are them (some say).

Stalkers are people that stood against the combine, and so, got lobotamized, had most of their organs removed, and survive on a saline solution given to them by the combine. They are apparentely in pain constantly. They are made in Nova Prospekt. Somehow, even after being lobotimized, they can be taught to work in the Citadel and other places.

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

damnit, now i have to get episode 1 grrr

*reluctantly pulls out credit card

13. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

Epi1 is great, sometimes even better than HL2 was itself. But it's too short :(

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Regulus, lobotomies remove the part of the brain that assert aggression, and in a great deal of people, a significant part of personality. Teaching stuff would probably be easier to a lobotomized person. Stalkers most likely have undergone quite a lot more than just lobotomization, though.

^Dee^, where in god's name are you getting your information? The first thing you said about stalkers is right, but the part about children and the elderly? I've certainly never read anything suggesting this (and yes, I do have a copy of Raising the Bar). The Combine are not alien nanobots, either. They're that grub-like creature you see on Breen's monitor near the beginning and end of Half-Life 2. They apparently, as demonstrated by the synths and the Combine soldiers, force an organic-technological fusion on the races they encounter, inducting them into their ranks. The two types of synths you see exclusively in the citadel, as well as the gunships, the striders, the hopper-mine dropping scanners, and the dropships, are the end product of another of the Combine's conquests.

It is also speculated that the Xen race (along with several Xen lifeforms) are the product of the Combine, but a fairly-recent remark by Marc Laidlaw or somebody else deeply involved with the Half-Life saga has suggested that the Xen race you encountered in Half-Life 1 was, in fact, fleeing the Combine's grasp.

15. supaste

supaste Member

what happened to the milatry death squad from hl1....

16. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

Look at their name. They rest in death....

17. ^Dee^

I'm sure it was in raising the bar. I do know it was something official at least; not long after HL2 was released

18. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

All I knew about lobotimies was that a part of the brain was removed, and when I hear that, I think that the person that had part of their brain removed was like a vegetable. But now I know, and knowledge is power!

I think that the xen race (at least vortigaunts and their relations) was controlled by Nihilanth, who inturn was controlled by the combine. Whether this was voluntary, Like Dr. Breen, or not, as it seems Nihilanth isn't too happy about it, I don't know.

A remake? I want to know about that to gain even more power!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  19. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Ack. Much info. What exactly are the combine soldiers, though? The grub-like things on the monitors didn't seem like they were really in a humanoid form.

20. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

The Civil Police are just humans that volunteer. Any higher ranking soldiers though have underwent a procedure to enhance their abilities and probably take over their minds, because mind control is fun.