Unbuilt walls don't take damage from AoE

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mashav, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

Unbuilt walls don't take damage from aoe most of the time. When testing to prove this some did take some damage some times, but I was never able to find the cause. The amount it is built does seem to effect when it starts taking damage from aoe, and initial testing shows it to be around 60% built.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The origin of the wall props is at one end as far as I know.

That may be involved in determining if it takes damage from AoE.

3. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

4. Mashav

Mashav Member

AoE=Area of Effect=Blast radius.

If you don't hit the wall, it doesnt take damage. I fired enough nukes next an unbuilt wall to kill the rax to its far right, and it wasn't even hurt.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Yeah, I think i ran into this bug before. Id always decon walls to the point of near collapse, and then shoot it with my cannon, but i could only get like 1 down at a time

6. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Roflocopter kind of abused this not long ago in a game of slaughtered. After holding back them till they got artillery, we planned to rush 10 nuke tanks through the sbend. But he just dropped walls untill he hit the limit, and it took the tanks maybe 10 minutes to take those down.

Also, not being able to recycle too damaged walls is very frustraiting.

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

Did more testing:

After building 4 layers of walls, with every second one built up, I nuked the crap out of a full wall in the second row. Every single built wall got hurt, and the one I was shooting and the ones next to it, died.

None of the unbuilt walls were hurt.

After throwing grenades at walls in the same pattern, same result.

After Building several more lines of walls, and doing it with arty, again same result.

The reason I could not find the right point at which they start taking damage was because for some reason, they will take damage if the explosion is above them. You can throw as many grenades as you like at the side of the unbuilt wall, and It won't hurt it. If you throw one on top, or air-burst it over top, the wall will take damage.

After learning this, I put several layers up against a wall. After fireing up and down the wall with Ranged arty about 400 times (yay host_timescale) only the walls within 1 wall length took damage

I don't know why this is, but I would like it fixed, if possible.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  8. Mashav

Mashav Member

Found the magic number. 37 engineer units and the wall takes no damage. 38 and it will. Eliminated the height variable by shooting at a friendly wall with enemy walls behind it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

75, not 38

all engy dropables take 75 unupgraded energy to be build afaik, 38 upgraded ;)

10. Mashav

Mashav Member

That wasn't my point. It doesn't have to be fully built. 38 points without upgrade and the wall will start to take AoE damage.

Easiest way to test is to build 2 walls, one 37, one 38. Swap teams, Build large wall infront of those 2 walls. Fire nukes at your new wall. The 38 one will have taken damage, the 37 will not have.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Yeah...wow...just tried it.

Then I went and tested it in-game on canyon...blocked a whole team of afv's and apc's from entering because they couldn't get past unbuilt walls..

Really needs to be fixed...but you said shooting directly on top of the wall damages it?

12. Mashav

Mashav Member

Directly hitting a wall (with a cannon or missle) will deal damage to that wall. If the explosion is directly above that wall(sitting ontop and throwing a nade at your feet), it will take damage. If its not, they won't.

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Then ML/CN damage against walls needs to be increased, or unbuilt walls need a 2x damage modifier, because, as you know, nubs love to shoot walls, and they WOULD NOT die.

14. Killersteel

Killersteel Member

I can see massive abuse for this :/, needs to fixed. Basically, the comm can block off EVERY entrance to his base with unbuilt walls, which in that case nades would be rendered useless, and with the slightly...unexciting...state of the RPG and mowtar, the walls can be really hard to bring down.

15. Mashav

Mashav Member

Walls were debuffed. Engi nades can destroy layers of built walls. As long as they're built above 37 units and actually take damage from the explosion.

16. Drag

Drag Member

I won't make walls any weaker than they are now but the bug needs to go. I reported it as a mayor bug so I believe it will get some attention soon.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

hmm i didnt want to fix your point, just though you messed up the values

still its weird that half-build walls take aoe and unbuild don't if what you say is true