Unbuilt things

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, May 24, 2006.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I think it looks rather awkward how brush-based buildings look transparent and allow you to walk through them. They look so ugly, and often distract people to think that they have actually been built. It'd also help if you could tell apart built and unbuilt commander-made buildings.

I don't know if this is even possible, but I suggest that all of these brush-based buildings as well as commander-made buildings would use some sort of a scaffholding texture with see-through holes, when they are unbuilt:
    http://nees.umn.edu/images/construc...- University of Minnesota MAST Laboratory.jpg

So basically unbuilt stuff would appear as hunks of metallic bars. Except maybe turrets, surveillance devices and walls.

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I made a gif a while ago of what I thought the BE stuff should be built like (it's really poor though)
    [​IMG]
    But you get the idea. TA sort of style ish.

3. Aurora

My idea was not wireframe graphics... But if the wireframes were black, I think it would do as well. But I'd stick to the bars, as then large surfaces would be more easily noticable.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

or if they find an animator, they could make an unbuilt model with animation, like ns. Dont see how that would work on big buildings tho >,>

5. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

It should be built in stages like the age of empires games in my opinion or they could start off in packs like on MCV on tiberium sun and when fully built they follow an unpack animation or something :S

Although I also like the wireframe idea

6. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

The Wireframe looks good, could also be easily implemented untill they get to having sepreat built and unbuilt models.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

didnt krenzo say something about wireframe? Or something about this?

might be mixing up stuff tho ><;

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

they have said they'll be using shaders for this sort of stuff in the future.

9. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

I think in NS ( havent played for ages) the unbuilt things have sparks coming out of them? somthing like this could work well. Perhaps smoke for dammaged buildings as well?

Bodricks wireframe stuff looks cool , but could be overlooked at a distance i think.

10. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

In NS, buildings were in a 'compact' state untill they were built, and I don't think they ever sparked or smoked.
    If you want an example, the Armoury was dropped as a Military Green Cylender, but after it was built, it expanded into a cylender with screen pannels and hightend a bit.

11. Aurora

But then it wouldn't fit in with the brush-building's style which would be the metallic bars/wireframes.