Unable to spawn in map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Crispy, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Crispy

Crispy Member

[Edit] Issue now fixed. I copied and pasted Oasis' vtf and txt files and it is now working. I must have done something wrong when I copied emp_blah's files. I will put new questions in a new thread.

I have just started a new Classic map for Empires, but I am unable to spawn. I think the problem lies with how I have setup the overhead map files and the resource text file. I copied Mayama's emp_blah files and edited the vmt to give my map name and the res file to have my map name too (emp_route88).

When I boot the map it says 'Invalid spawn' and the spawn selection map only appears once. It is blank, with neither a picture nor a spawn icon to click on.

The only thing I didn't edit that could be affecting it was the top left and bottom-right co-ordinates of the map. Admittedly this is probably the problem, but it seems a bit annoying that just to prototype my map I have to jump through so many hoops to get a working build. You see, I don't want to confirm the size of the map until I have tested the base-to-base driving times and various other conditions, but even to just test a temporary prototype I have to make a new map image and spend 15+ minutes faffing about with text files, screenshots and image editing programs.

Is there a quick and dirty method to getting this working? (I don't care if I have to hunt for the spawn selection on a black or incorrect image, I just want to be able to spawn while I test)

Other things you should know:
    - I've dabbled in maps for Quake, Red Alert, Starcraft, Advance Wars, Team Fortress 2, Nuclear Dawn and Natural Selection.
    - I know my way around Hammer.
    - I have setup Hammer for Empires according to this thread (except for using the FGD supplied with the Empires 2.2 download, and using the Source 2007 game executable directory instead of the HL2DM one shown)
    - My compile completes with no errors.

Here's my resource file:
    Code:
    "emp_route88"
    {
    	//the location in the 'materials/' dir where the image for the map is
    	"image"		"maps/emp_route88"

//the top left corner of the image which equals the top left corner of the map coordinate below
    	"min_image_x"	"107"
    	"min_image_y"	"0"

//the bottom right corner of the image which equals the bottom right corner of the map coordinate below
    	"max_image_x"	"1024"
    	"max_image_y"	"1024"

//the top left corner of the map
    	"min_bounds_x"	"-12256"
    	"min_bounds_y"	"15353"

//the bottom right corner of the map
    	"max_bounds_x"	"15355"
    	"max_bounds_y"	"-15358"

//the size in map coordinates of each sector of a map (A1,F5, etc), a grid line is draw around each sector on the minimap to visually segregate them 
    	"sector_width"	"210"
    	"sector_height"	"210"

//There are four levels of zoom. These are the min and max which corresponds to the amount of the map visible in the minimap panel when at that zoom level.
    	"min_zoom"	"1"
    	"max_zoom"	"0.25"

//Team panel descriptions
    	"nf_description" "The Northern Faction is less equipped and trained than the forces of the Brenodi Empire, but its forces make up for it with genetic manipulation and determination.  All members are ex-citizens of Jekotia whose disbanded military's past exploits into genetic manipulation were phased into the general population and provided a counter to Brenodi technology.  This gives them the advantage of more versatility in ability enhancement and an unmatchable level of cohesiveness and coordination.  They've managed to find support in ex-Jekotians hidden within the Brenodi Empire and among remnants of bunkers and weapon caches left over from the great battle which dissolved the nation of Jekotia."

"nf_objective" "Objective: Build refineries to gain resources and build up your army.  Then destroy the Brenodi Command Vehicle, or destroy all barracks (removing any place to spawn) and kill all members of the enemy team."

"imp_description" "The Brenodi Empire’s forces are equipped with state of the art weaponary and equipment.  All members undergo a strict training regiment to establish their combat effectiveness, and they are supported by the very best mechanized armor and air units.  All Brenodian citizens are required to receive an extensive set of nanotechnological devices to function, and their military relies on these nanotech enhancements to further enhance the abilities of their soldiers.  The Brenodi Empire wages an ongoing campaign to subdue the Northern Faction and eliminate their terrorist actions through force that have become all too common in ex-Jekotian territory."

"imp_objective" "Objective: Build refineries to gain resources and build up your army.  Then destroy the Northern Faction Command Vehicle, or destroy all barracks (removing any place to spawn) and kill all members of the enemy team."

}
    So, can anyone confirm my suspicions? And if so, does anyone have any tips for creating the map files quickly?

All I want to do now is just test in a sandpit level, after which I will create the map at full size. It's annoying to have to create a custom map for each size alteration I make.

Would it be better to prototype as a Conquest map and then convert to Classic when I have the map the size I want it?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Check the materials file. Make sure it got both a .vmt and a .vtf
    make sure it lies in the correct folder..

Cause it looks like there's a problem with your maps/emproute88

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

You should either download the 2.2 fgd from the forums or update to 2.21 and use the included fgd..
    You do not have to redo your map image or anything at all..
    They just need to be there and eventually tweaked to the final version of your map...
    You can actually just use a copy of another maps res files as long as the paths and names in the files (and of the files themselves) match your maps ones...
    A conquest map needs the files as well so the only difference is if you want to place commander entities or not...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. Crispy

Crispy Member

emp_route88.vmt (edited so it points to the right map) and emp_route88.vtf (copied and renamed version of emp_blah.vtf) are both in the Empires/materials/maps folder.

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

There you got your problem! :D

Open your emp_route88.vmt with notepad. There's a little line you should change there.

6. Crispy

Crispy Member

No, it wasn't that. I had already changed the info in the VMT to match the mapname.

Fixed the issue (see original post for details), I can now spawn correctly.

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Mayamas minimap weas broke on one of his builds cos the resource file was in emp/resource instead of emp/resource/maps. Make sure your resource file is in resource/maps.

Apart from that your setup looks fine. Dont worry about exact coordinate numbers for now, it will mean things like ref points arent quite in the right place but it wont stop you spawning if your map is of similar size the the one you are using copied files from.

Other than the resource file being in the wrong place, or a type in your VMT file, I can't see anything wrong with yuor setup.

8. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

What was wrong then?

9. Crispy

Crispy Member

See the OP, it was probably to do with blah's res files being broken! :o

10. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yeah like I said they were broken in an earlier build and you copied it.

So the lesson is, Dont copy Mayama

11. Crispy

Crispy Member

On second thoughts, it is also possible that I hadn't updated to 2.21 yet. I had downloaded the update, and I thought I installed it. I was playing Empires on KM (Empires 4 All) fine, so I'm guessing I had installed it correctly or there would have been a version clash between me and the server. I reinstalled it again just to double-check at the same time I swapped out emp_blah's files for emp_oasis.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

FGD didnt change between 2.2 and 2.21. the patch shouldn't have affected any maps.

13. Caelo

Caelo Member

2.2 did however include the 2.12 FGD and not the 2.2 one