Unable to join game servers - account in use on another computer

Discussion in 'Support' started by SteyrKat, Nov 22, 2009.

1. SteyrKat

SteyrKat Member

I've played Empires mod for several years without problems at home. But here at my university, I can't join any servers without getting a "Your account is being used to log in to another computer, please log in" error. Clicking login, restarting steam, changing my password, or restarting the computer doesn't fix the problem.

I am pretty sure I am logged in to Steam on only one computer at a time - and to check I played Team Fortress 2 with no problems joining servers. I get the same log in problem with Zombie Panic mod as well.

I'm not sure if the problem is attributable to my network location at the university, because I was able to play Empires (usually) in a different residential complex on campus perfectly fine last year.

Has anyone else had the same problems as me, and does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Had the same on another computer of mine, had to log onto that one again, log off and then log onto mine.

3. SteyrKat

SteyrKat Member

Possibly fixed

I might have found a solution. Somehow the game doesn't think I'm logged into Steam if I start up Steam first then run the mod from the Steam game list.

When I made a desktop icon for Empires, logged off Steam, and started up the game using the desktop icon (and logging into Steam in the process), the game worked. For some reason the game doesn't like it when I start up Steam first, and wants me to start up the game and Steam simultaneously.

Anyway, if anyone else happens to encounter this problem then this solution might work. Make a desktop icon of the game from Steam, log off Steam, and start the game from the desktop.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I get this on occasion if I log onto steam on my laptop, it goes into sleep mode with steam running, then I log onto steam on my desktop. I'm not sure about the technical details, but it seems that if are switching computers, then you should physically log out on the first computer, before loading steam on the second.

5. tsume920

tsume920 Member

I have this same problem, and I tried the shortcut, didnt work, and i tried logging on and off, restarting, the works. Idk whats wrong.

6. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

What worked for me is to go to File > Change User > click Log out in the new box > Log in again. It should work then.

7. taiiat

taiiat Member

one possibility could be - do you have a laptop sitting around on that you forgot is connected to steam? ive gotten really frustrated from time to time from my laptop sitting on and i forget about it and it keeps relogging into steam.

yep. its fun isnt it?