Unable to build, even if preview is green

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Metalhead, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Hello,

I already had this a few times when i was commander. The preview of the building was green, but i could not place it.
    It only happened near enemy buildings, and maybe vehicles too (don't remember clearly). Sometime it was near a ref and as soon as the ref was destroyed and had disappeared, I could build again.

Maybe someone else had this problems too...

EDIT: This was with RC15... don't know if this problem still exists in RC16

EDIT: 2 Just tested with RC 16, it s still there.
    The problem happens near enemy vehicles too... you shoul be able to reproduce it easyly

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Chahk

Chahk Member

I do believe there is a certain radius around enemy buildings, vehicles and infantry where you cannot place structures. I think this was done to prevent "walling in" and using turrets as offensive weapons.

The bug is that the "preview" is showing up as green, when it should be changed to something else, to let the Comm know that enemy units are nearby.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I can place anything right next to enemy buildings, only without other players near the area i can't see anything there, i think it's fog of war.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

No, it wasn't in the fog of war. And even if it was, the preview shouldn't be green.

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

It couldn't be if it was green as you would need a soldier nearby. Could it be there was a soldier in the way? Did you have enough resources?

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Quite often surveillance structures will appear red, yet you can still build them. The problem is that the method the client uses to check is obviously differing from the server's.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I've had more than enough resources and when I tried it the last time, there was definitely no solider in the way, because I was alone on the server.

Maybe this is caused by this difference too. (So there is at least one bug in one of those methods)

Was anybody able to reproduce it until now?

8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

There is obviously some difference in the server and client for commanders placing things near enemy units. The client range for preventing construction is smaller than the server, making the building appear green when it should be yellow. On emp_money, whenever I want to place turrets next to enemy refineries, I have to place them further away than what the client says is allowed.