Two things I'm working on

Discussion in 'General' started by Beerdude26, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yes, I didn't judge whether it's bad or good I just gave everyone infinitely good comm that spots as soon as he can see something in his view.

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Removing DX8 fixed see through water, and it was outdated anyway.

@MOO: Are you building the network layer from scratch? Have you considered using FFI to utilize something like RakNet, or is the performance/practicality not workable?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

See through water was DX7, not 8.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Considering what mootant mostly does is give other people shit for everything he possibly can, calling him out on it is hardly a dick move.

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I use sockets and that's it. I just figured out what state machine to do (+ timeouts) to get something similar to TCP but without some rare quirks like packet drop causing resend waits for seconds. The point is to have as many network channels as there are players on server and 1 netchan on each client. Channel handles reliable and ordered transmission of packets. Each packet is Haskell "object" (value) and gets automatically (de)serialized (derive+binary packages). If there's need for tuning I can write specialized serialization.

Main game thread communicates with send and receive threads using software transactional memory channels (simple unbounded queue).

Although it all might seem like overkill it's really close to what Q3 and HL2 do. HL2 has 3 streams: fragmented, reliable and unreliable.

You can bind C++ to Haskell though it's not nicest thing to read. I'm doing that with Bullet physics which is in C++ and has bindings.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Isn't it normal that you can see through water ?
    I mean it's not concrete

7. Empty

Empty Member

Depends heavily on your angle in relation to the water surface, as well as how choppy the water is.

Refractive indexes everywhere up in this bitch yo.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's called Fresnel equation. Simplified one calculates how much of the light you see is reflected from the water and how much is refracted. This equation depends on angle at which observing is looking at water.

Refraction/reflection is only activated with DX9.

See-through water must have been some bug like water not in correct visleaf and not getting drawn.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Yes that's what I was referring too.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Nah, in DX7, the materials it used were simply see-through for water. There used to be an emp_cyclopean_water_DX7 file or something similar, and the VMT simply had allowed it to be seen through. Some people used it to work in DX9 for obvious reasons.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah DX7 water is just like a semitransparent texture with crappy animated waves on it.

It is used in HL2 when you're in the sewers and you have to turn the valve to raise the water level, that's why you can see right down to the bottom of the tank from the top to shoot the boards.

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Stop derailing the derailed thread. It's too meta.