Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by bokan, Dec 21, 2009.

1. bokan

bokan Member

I made a tutorial map based off of some of the older ideas and some of my own. Thanks goes to empteh for explaining the commentary system. It's basically a rather short progression of challenge rooms that teaches you the basics, with commentary narration. Speaking of the narration, if anyone thinks they have a more interesting accent than I do (which isn't saying so much), the script is included if you want to record new voiceovers, or for editing. It's a bit biased toward my personal gameplay observations, and what I think is important, but that's really the only way to do it, as explaining everything would take way too long. It's also a little rough around the edges, but it works. Should be a good fit eh. :D

Also, I realize this is probably redundant with the one drummerx is working on, and is probably infinitely crappier. Oh well. You guys are welcome to steal ideas/ chunks of map if you want.

Check it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HTFAEH6L

<I put some music in the end that I got off of the forums a long time ago. I believe [PRKL] Werihukka made the song.>

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Empty

Empty Member

It ain't pretty I gotta admit, but it works.

3. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

Umm, pleaes host it somewhere...

4. bokan

bokan Member

5. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Well I just tested it a short while ago and I had some problems.

-Never heard any of the narration - it simply never played.
    -At the area where (I assume) you're supposed to nade-spam a BE radar, I couldn't proceed onward past an invisible wall. I noclip'd past it to the next area.
    -At the next area, I couldn't pass an invisible wall, so I noclip'd past it and was immediately killed by the level 3 turrets I wasn't expecting.
    -Essentially, most of the functionality didn't seem to be working.

I didn't really test BE's side, but I did find that there's an area where you can drive out into water and off the edge to the outside of the map until you land on the skybox floor.

6. Empty

Empty Member

You need to enable commentary mode shandy.
    :rolleyes:

And you aren't supposed to go BE.

7. bokan

bokan Member

parts of it are gated for the class that you are supposed to be learning at the time. The one next to the turrets is gated for scouts :p
    I don't think I ever had to enable commentary mode though. Perhaps putting this in the team description would be good. I thought that perhaps putting ASPLODE in the team description for BE would be a good deterrent. Perhaps there could be a more professional way of doing it haha

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  8. Empty

Empty Member

Commentary mode is enabled when you turn -tools on.

9. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Hey bokan, add me on steam, you've got some good ideas, lets talk, offer goes to who ever wants to help out.