Tut and deathmatch canyon.

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Doobie, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

2. Damian

Damian Member

So far so good. Textures and environment are a little dull, perhaps for the target range make the landscape more diverse, like adding hills, trees, props, and such and make it less caged in. Also making a display case with all of the game's weaponry for both sides would be a nice little touch :) Something to show the player what to expect in the game.

Also I just saw what Krenzo was talking about regarding the volume on these sounds, I'll see what I can do about this later tonight.

Would be nice to see the interior of this installation more like the interior we see from within the vehicle factory.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The tutorial map does look a bit dull, not saying you should remake it, but maybe an awesome skybox of some sort that could be seen from every room would spicen things up.

At the part where you explain about the barracks, you explain them they can change class inside of it, but because you have them unbuilt, they cant actually try that out even though you just thaught them to do so. Maybe you could fix this by spawning built barracks when you enter the room? I don't know much about hammer but I think something like that should be possible and it would actually be a cool effect if the door opens, they walk in and 2 buildings are dropped (with the *plump* when a building is dropped by the commander). The last doesnt have to happen with the rest of the buildings.

There is one problem I encountered, the part where the bridge is blown up, I tried to leap drive over the gap with a NF jeep with standard engine, and instead of falling in the canyon and dying (as you suggest better engines improve speed) I actually got stuck in the hanging part of the road (the one that is vertical, placed against the farside of the cliff, when you approach it). This should be fixed as there are plenty of newbies out there that do not know how to kill themselves, and the second thing that happened then was that when I tried to respawn, all the spawnpoints dissapeared, so I couldnt actually respawn anymore!
    This is where I decided to cut myself in the darkest corner of my room, I quit the game and went looking for a blunt butter knife :(

Btw, I wasn't able to refill my mortar ammo at the ammocrate in shooting range, I havent yet tried this out on other maps to see if this is a 1.08 problem, or you something you intended. maybe also those capture points could be named something like "NF change class here"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  4. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

This is not what the map is going to look like... I'm working on the art work right now, but that version is in many parts right now. It will look much better, I just wanted to show this to you guys for feedback on the info provided to the player. Let me know if you have any suggestions (like the one about the barracks) as I'm working on the art.

Thanks for the feedback so far, and please remember to comment about the scripting right now, and hold off on art stuff till i put up that version.

5. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

[Ok, disregard my comment about the looks, I thought this was almost final]

I noticed the ammo reload problem as well, the target at the far end is kinda hard to hit and theres no good indication that you're hitting it at all.

Also, when you cross the bridge, you can actually run into the voice trigger and then immediately run into the next one, causing some overlap. Maybe add another door, or make an elevator or something.

6. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

Maybe we could get a few voice clips -

Good shot!
    Almost!
    Wow you suck!
    etc.

7. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

I think i'll give Doobie the fancy pants new HDR skybox I made for this. It's fancy pants.

8. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Can i have one without pants for urban chaos?

9. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I don't remember hearing anything about skills or squads, I don't know if that's because I missed a trigger or something else though.

10. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

11. Damian

Damian Member

For starters remove the commander voting! As a dev it gets to annoying to wait >_<

1) If I walk straight to the shooting range of the wooden circle things it automatically triggers the next voice over. Perhaps adjust the triggers so that the next would only start once the previous one finishes.

2) How do I advance to the next stage? Or is this all you have for this map so far?

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you need to get the one behind the wall

13. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

No explanation of the motd, class, faction and commander vote screen when they pop up. I know people aren't totally brain dead but we should assume they are.

Welcome to Empires dialog is blocked by crosshair.

The flags at the starting point don't wave? They look as if time stopped during a gust of wind.

The center metal target shows through the glass as if it were in front even though it isn't. the metal targets are kinda hard to hit (learn2aim?).

The vehicle factories are awfully dark.

When entering the command vehicle and entering command mode, you can't move the camera out of the garage. Driving out of the garage fixes this. Maybe tell the player to drive out a bit?

When placing the refinery to end the tutorial nothing happens. I probably have to build it but odds are the player isn't an engineer making it a bit tedious.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Is Doobie still working on a tutorial map now? People are complaining about a lack of a tutorial in the forum.

15. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

Bah, I havn't worked on that in quite a while. You looking for something to do? ;)

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Not really, until i'm sure district doesn't needs more work i won't try anything important, unless i have to.