Turrets should have a firing arc

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by teh_ham, Sep 17, 2008.

1. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Turrets (especially lvl2s and 3s) would be a bit balanced in my opinion if they had a 'firing arc'. That is, they would only fire on targets which appeared in its 'view'. I can't really explain much more than that. Lvl2s and 3s could have increased arcs. But I seriously think that they shouldn't be allowed to just swing around and shoot the crap out of you.

Opinions?

2. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I think he means instead of a spherical FoV, the turret has a view cone fixed to the barrel so that it only sees what it is pointing at/

3. RepublicA

RepublicA Member

This would seriously reduce the effectiveness and usefulness of turrets. Considering that even if you max your limit on some maps there is still mass amounts of open space that is effectively unpatrollable and unsecurable by a small team.

I cannot picture this working at all.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Interesting idea. Though, if you were going to implement this idea, I think you should do something else to buff the turret to compensate. Frankly, I don't see any problem with the turrets right now (except that the comm can't recycle engineer-placed turrets).

5. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

If this was true, I'd better be able to aim my turrets

6. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

You probably are as a commander (never tried it).

7. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

No, you can't give your turrets targets, or aim them.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Yes you can, turrets rotate 90degrees in each direction from the original position of the turret so their rotation actually matters. I think that it was intended for turrets to have a FoV but at the moment they turn so fast there's really no point.

9. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Perhaps then, lvl1's could have a larger field of view[thanks jessiah] than lvl2's and lvl3's. I just think engineers shouldn't be able to plonk down a turret which shoots at everything in it's attack radius. I seriously think if a FoV was applied to turrets, they would be much less annoying and require a bit more thought of placement than 'omg need 2 defend *plonks down turret*'.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't really like the idea.

I don't think it's good for a game where turrets are spammed as much as empires to have to aim them.

I suppose you could replace level 3 turrets with a bigger object which had to be aimed, and you buffed the ML version.

Level ones and twos however should stay as they are for ease of use, but a larger defensive structure which you can't spam would be fine as an aimable structure.

A big turret which had the current level 3 MG power with perhaps a bit longer range and some inaccuracy, while the ML version fired salvos of faster rockets at longer range, that would be acceptable, as long as you made it so you couldn't spam the things all over.

Although this is all sort of moot because I don't really see a problem with turrets at the moment.

11. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I thought they meant after you placed the buildings.

12. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Amen.

I meant that you can rotate a turret while placing it by holding down the left mouse button. Not that it matters to the turret.

180 degrees.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

It is in my current understanding that turrets turn 360 degrees around there axis, and after completing the circle, they would continue for the next circle

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

my current understanding is that turrets are just big area denial weapons. they're not like stationary enemies for you to fight, more like plonking a large circular wall down with "keep out" written on it. that's why they do tiny constant damage, so once you realise it's there you can get out without losing too much health.

It's probably good that it is like that. if any class could simply skill it's way past a turret then it wouldn't really be an area denial weapon at all any more.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's not really a problem on command maps, this is only a problem on infantry maps and crossroads...

16. Empty

Empty Member

Simple for mappers.
    Simply drop the flag res to 0, and then no team gets res, and no team can upgrade.

17. thaile

thaile Member

Well that's a simple fix for now, but turret upgrade cost been fix in the next release already. Anyway whatever happened to that no build version of district? Stratigic placement of no build zones, like on top of the towers in crossroads, might be a better solution then nerfing turrets.

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

turrets are only a problem cause people refuse to play as grenadier, period

19. Empty

Empty Member

MOOtant said he'd add the option to disable turrets via the info_map_params entity.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

scouts can easily skill themselves past a turret farm, and disable it just as easily if its unguarded or guarded by idiots