Trap Ejection Seat

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ViroMan, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Since people are against tank locking...
    What if you are capable of ejecting the person who took your tank... as long as you hit that key within 5-8 seconds of the person getting in the tank/com? After the 5-8 seconds the tank becomes their own. Hell, make it funny even with a springy "boing" sound and the person is thrown a tiny distance to what ever side is more pointing to the ground... not up else it can be used to grief.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Will be used to troll/ can be difficult to keep track of as the tank owner.

3. ViroMan

Your only valid concern. The other one you had was retarded. Most tank thefts happen right before your eyes. If it was taken and you were not in the immediate area then it is up for grabs.

back to the point of trolling, I can see your point about that, the solution is that if the owner walks say a barracks distance from tank it loses the eject ability till owner gets back in.

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

It's actually a good idea tbh, we could use trickster his launch into space thing :p

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

This is how forum trolls get a bad name. We're better than this!

Code:
    Form for why x/y/z is bad:
    [x]Needs code.
    [ ]Better things for code team to work on.
    [x]Needs art.
    [ ]Better things for the art team to work on.
    [ ]Better things for the balance team to work on.
    [ ]Balance issues
    [ ]Needs UI
    [x]User comprehension issues: griefing
    I'm just spitballing here.

6. ViroMan

your list only has one valid entry checked... code. The other two are marked down to make your negative view seem valid.

Needs Art? wtf? you wan't a giant arcade lilke button to show up that says eject? Did you actually think there was going to be a dude sitting in a chair that ejects? Answer: no he just ejects

Comprehension issues: griefing... This has way more potential to get rid of griefers then to cause them. At the moment it takes an admin literally watching your tank get stolen to get your tank back. You can't prove its your tank... in empires as in real life ... possession is 9/10ths of the law. If somone is standing near a tank... there is a good chance he is doing something with it and therefore it is probably his. Go get your own fucking tank.

Needs code... yes your only true issue but, then again... the time to put in the code is literally under 30 mins(provided they are capable of finding the spot to add the code in that time limit) then a little bit of testing. Adding the code is a no brainer... there is nothing to think about.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

ITT Viroman knows nothing about Empires code. Everything you ever knew or learnt goes straight out of the window.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Only reason for me wanting this is to troll vets in scrims and pugs, can you imagine the ammount of trollness in skrims and pugs doing this? Sht would be so funny.

9. ViroMan

You are right, I don't... I havn't seen it... it probably is the pile of spaghetti that other devs have said it is. I wouldn't want to wade though that. I do know how to code though, adding something like this is trivial when compared to pretty much anything else in empires.

Make it a server option and your no longer able to do that.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Ok, no art, the ragdoll just erupts out of the top of the vehicle model. That's fine.

I still don't like the griefing thing...

I can't say I'm an expert, but I bet it would take more than a half hour to implement. You could be right.

Oh and you were correct. I just wanted to use that nifty form, lol. :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

While I see the issue, a better approach might be to go in small steps.

Start by adding a "who built this tank". If nothing else, this will let players say emp_n00b just took my tank, admin can look at tank, see player_in_tank != player_builder, and take action from there. Minimal code for this.

Added bonus, anyone who spams jeeps will have there name plastered on the jeeps, should be easy to see who is spamming and take action.

Next step might be to add a "remove ownership" that will only work for the person who built the tank.

12. ViroMan

lol well I didn't mean a ragdoll shoots out, I meant... the person is kicked out of the tank with a push applied to him(if thats possible) otherwise just eject him like he got out of the vehicle.

Nick I too want tanks to say made by NAME on them... but adding the control to kick someone from your tank was one more step after that and is easy to implement so I just skipped right to this.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It's mainly the testing that takes long as fuck, the amount of interconnectedness between most Empires code causes some pretty fucked up bugs from time to time

14. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

This is what I was about to suggest. An Empires player should have every vehicle they create bound to them like turrets, mines, etc. If you look at a vehicle it should show the creator's name so that admins can ban vehicle spammers, and simply look at both the player in the tank and the name of the player who created the tank (the former in green, the latter in grey?) to determine whether someone stole someone else's tank. The display of the creator's name could probably use the code from displaying turret names.

No need to add extra code for kicking someone out of your vehicle, leave that to the autonomy of server administration.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  15. ViroMan

while in theory that works... it requires an admin... something I see little of on vipers.

16. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

Then we should make the community better before seeking development. Development cannot solely make Empires better, the community can.

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

spam the tester group whenever you feel like it. It's weekend so I have lots of time.