Tomorrows Interfaces

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu, Jun 26, 2006.

1. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

After "Showing your Desktop" and "Computer Rig/setup" we are proud to present the next hot thread, showing the interfaces of tomorrow:

"Clickless working"

and

"Real virtual Desktop"

Coming soon on your Computer...

2. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

And now compare that with this

3. SniperJP02

SniperJP02 Member

Link doesn't work.

EDIT: Sorry I meant Major Tom's Link and it still doesn't has a message.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  4. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

All links work fine here.

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Wow that's fascinating stuff Tom, keep it up. I really liked that desktop UI, that was something else. I live an hour away from Toronto, it's cool to see local technology be that cool (though I can almost spit on the RIM buildings from my apartment, so I shouldn't be surprised).

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I didn't like either. The first resulted in things happening unintentionally when I moved my mouse, merely crossing things on the way to what I wanted to activate. Can you imagine trying to go through a folder with that? It would be living hell. The second was far too gimmicky for my taste. I certainly have never had any problem differentiating the importance of icons on my desktop, and if I wanted to organize them into groups, I would make a separate folder for them. The whole idea behind it is emulating an inferior system, as well, which drives me a little batty. My desktop is not supposed to function like an actual desk; I don't want to have to rifle through objects and spend forever trying to figure out where the hell I put that document that I downloaded yesterday. I'll stick with organizing by name and type, thankyouverymuch.

7. Chahk

Chahk Member

Couldn't agree more. Are we getting too lazy to click a mouce button now?

I see your point. After all, doesn't everyone eventually put folders into their desk drawers when their desks become too cluttered with junk?

But I think they are trying to apply this method not only to organizing your desktop, but also to representing the file system in this manner. I can certainly see how it would be easier to navigate and search than the current folder-based structure. They are not trying to replicate our messy desks, they are trying to merge the ease of arranging the documents by visual association with the ability to quickly locate and search based on the file name/type. Even though they still have a lot of work to do, imho this idea has merit.

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

It seems like a good product, but there have been big problems with it, notably with spyware, read this for more info about cons.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I stumbled upon dontclick with stumbleupon (lol...) and its just horrible.

The second video is pretty nice, I could see it work as a workspace, but im a bit worried about the physics tho, bumping into files is a bad thing, especially accidently. I liked the linux virtuall desktop a lot more and I can see actual use in that (forgot the name, you guys probly know what I mean)

11. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

Well, I think, that is something completly different. Sure, it is a desktop too.
    But is for Gamers. I can't think of any scientist or businessman using that.
    While this real virtual desktop might be used as a standard desktop coming with your prefered os some day...

12. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

Maybe I've just been using Windows for too long, but I'm perfectly content with my GUI now. Actually, I'd probably have a disgruntled time adapting to something new, and I hope that no matter where the new age operating systems go in terms of interface, that we're still afforded the option of good old Windows 98.

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, I love my desktop too. I have things that are close together in likelessnes in folders with icons representing them, along with system shortcuts along the left side. With a Halo 3 wallpaper :)

Note: Those reports of spyware in 3DNA Desktop may be false. I'll run a Ad-Aware scan, but IE has no such toolbar installed, neither does Opera. Those reviews you linked to are over a year old.

14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

the download.com reviews also mention spyware warnings.

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I don't even have icons on my desktop, i just use it as a picture frame. I just do everything with the keyboard or startmenu/quicklaunch. Nevertheless i would like a change to a more interactive desktop. also, i vote cool for the clickless webpage. I know clicking isn't a pain, but it's neat research and has important accessibility implications

16. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Um Mr Quackams, I said before you posted that those reviews are more then a year old, for an older version. And I have no such mentioned stuff on my system. :D

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Well we're too lazy to raise our children, so why not?

-Sheepe

18. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

wow! I was litterally just watching videos about "microsoft surface" yesterday, and now here it is!

20. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

In my opinion those two first links are just ridiculous, totally stupid idea.

Computer's desktop isn't meant to be copy of real world's desktop. It is meant to be practical, quick and easy to use. That starts to look like just played around on your desktop and forgetting to do work.

I like more at this blocky desktop which I have now. My icons doesn't have physics as they should. Games have physics in them, games are designed to entertain, desktop isn't. Desktop is meant to be effective, practical and blocky so it is easy and fast to use.

In my opinion.