Tidy up commander view

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Sorry for the lack of pics for what really is a graphical change suggestion, but:

It would be great to have a more refined comm view, but this can be done quite easily.

members of the jury: exhibit A
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/rexkamikaze/commscreen.jpg

aside from the buildings tag needing to be put on the right in widescreen mode, there's lots of the screen taken up by blue empty boxes, when as a commander what you want is more screen to view.

but also, look at the line of buttons (log out, units etc)... see that little gap?

What i suggest is that in that gap is a button with a little arrow pointing down. click that, and those blue boxes dissapears and the buttn line themselves up along the bottom.

ideally, the buttons would be moved along and the minimise button (the arrow button i described) would be on the right.

2. Chahk

Chahk Member

I second the request for wide-screen support + minimalist interface for Comm view.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

me too. :) especially the minimalistic interface

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I also welcome any changes in this manner

5. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Hell even the Player HUD needs a cleanup, everything is just oversized, most of the HUD elements if not all could easily be 1/3 of their original size. This greatly restricts view, it's annoying.

Unless we're trying to be player friendly to the legally blind then Both HUDs need a small cleanup.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Angry, what resolution are you running with?

7. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I use 1600x1050

Game looks kick-ass but the comm looks a tad cluttered because the comm GUI doesn't extend all the way to the side(as you see in private's pic)

8. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Well someone come up with some alternative designs. Lets see them.

9. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

The designs we have now are awesome.

We only need 2 things to change them.

1: set the GUI to somehow autoscale
    2: set the NF's GUI color to sun-burnt orange

I would do these but I don't have access to it :P

10. Angry

Angry Junior Member

1024×768, the most common resoluton on the face of the earth :D

But seriously, for example the skill Icon for squad leaders, is 3x the size it needs to be. It's not that things look really big to me it's just most if not all of the HUD elements are unnecessarily huge (Yes by that I mean Xbox Huge), restricting view and making it harder to spot the bad guys.

11. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Sorry, nothing is THAT big. :p

I'm pretty sure that the skill icons have come down in size, but I really can't remember.

12. picard131

picard131 Member

The HUD is fine to me when I run it windowed at 1024x768 (I used to run it 1280x1028 or whatever, but it kept freezing so I started to run it in a window, it looks fine either way). I'm wondering if it's the monitor, because in the pics I've seen the text or the HUDs are about three times the size of mine, and it looks more like a display glitch.

13. Caelo

Caelo Member

well it looks the same here @ 1280x1024, it really needs to be smaller

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

anyone good at making pictures? we need some!

the HUD really needs to be as minimalist as possible. if that means that to new players, it's SLIGHTLY more difficult to spot things (squad icon for example), then that's definatly a worthy sacrifice.

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Actually, the HUD is pretty much perfect (for me, at least, I'm at 1152X864). As Headshotmaster said, it just needs to autoscale if it didn't already.

I mean, it's Empires. You NEED all that information. Okay, perhaps not the bullet and health bars, but that make it so unique! I absolute HATE any mod that just changes the font and says "oh hai lol we has an nice health system". The HUD was the first thing that impressed me: sure, it seemed a bit big, but it also had a very finished look to it. It's the only thing that tells me that this screenshot isn't from just any HL2 mod; it's from Empires.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It does auto scale. It's at the same size no matter what resolution you're running.