Those games that make Empires worth playing

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by wealthysoup, Apr 30, 2013.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Out of interest, when was the last game that made you love Empires I cant remember the last really good game before tonight.

Tonight on duststorm the server was pretty unpopulated, so I decided to command (a rare thing these days). As NF we took quite an early advantage with forward rax spam, although dropped behind on research and vehicle factories. After a while BE equalised this lead before NF gained another advantage...then my internet died (just as I was about to start researching). Came back to the game to find practically everything lost, and us stuck in the main with only 1 or 2 other refs still standing.
    Impressively someone else had started research in my absence, we made a bit of a comeback but it seemed like BE would still win at any moment (constant assaults on our base), I decided to gamble and hold off researching tanks until we had both canon and missiles researched. For some reason BE's attacks seemed to stall and then some totally amazing teamwork on NF's (atleast) behalf kicked into play. People supporting each other, autonomously deciding where to go with very little input needed from me. Players working together to support each other, getting refs and advancing the front lines in several directions at once. Slowly and surely beat BE back (after lots of heavy fighting) and had them surrounded in their base. I was in NW with one other player setting up another base and had just finished building the first lvl 2 ml when I got rushed. Got sticky stunned and died after killing a few guys, the other guy with me killed a few guys whilst running to the cv died after killing another couple. As I was typing to tell the team to get to NW (mightve been ok since I had a VF handy, but definitely didnt want to risk it), michael (or possibly pedobear) noticed this and started to come. By the time I spawned and ran into the VF he (along with another 3 heavy tanks) had rushed back to save the CV. NF tried another few APC rushes using the same tactics whilst I was building turrets, although Michael had stayed with me in base to protect me whilst everyone else had attacked the BE main in the APC's absence. A long game (for a change :D ) but after 66 mins we finally won.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

At start: 4 people including Wealthy in NF, everyone knows how to play as they are all regulars. Against them, three guys on BE, one first-timer (competent but newbie still) and XXXmags commanding.

I joined to equalise and would have bloody equalised if I knew how to destroy tanks. The moment LTs started popping I was fried. Then went the refs, then map control, then the main, then the game.

People kept joining throughout so it got even fairly quickly, but in the end very little teamwork happened on the BE side of things. All things considered, a good game indeed but not one for the books.

3. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Was it stacked? TBH I didnt recognise most of the names in my team at the start. Also you had Guns and Whamo who tried to stack in your team because i wouldnt let him build a beloved vehicle until we had research going...lawl

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah you don't play nearly enough. Of the regulars, NF had a 100% regular team (including wham-o at the start but he's bad as you have shown) and BE only had XXXmags until I joined. It may not be substantial - as I said, it got even shortly afterwards - but the initial skill advantage gave you complete map control, which I could only deny with ref raiding until tanks rolled out. After that, sure we bit back, but we couldn't organise a decent frontline and it all went to hell when we ran out of money.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Last awesome match I had was the scrim. I didn't actually play Empires since. But the scrim reminded me how incredible it is to play Empires at full potential when you're making use of every game mechanic.

6. Neo Daedalus

Neo Daedalus Member

I think you should play more pubs. It's one thing to have very reliable people, yet a completly another thing if people manage to do something right if they're not vets. You should really try it. At least on saturdays.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

He only has Thursdays for gaming but prefers to play dota.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That uae thing ends in like two weeks, right? Then he's out of excuses. Trickster, we're going to have to pub some time, brah. You get be, I'll take nf.

9. Trickster

Yeah I finish in just over 2 weeks. After that then it's really a case of forcing myself to Empires instead of Dota.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

You have a compendium now trickster, think of the battle points you'll be missing out on.

11. Trickster

Don't do this to me :(

12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Five minutes ago.

Booty bay, I'm comming an undeservedly good team exceptionally poorly. We hold a rax on their side of the map almost immediately and we never give it up because the team is just boss.

Fn (likely) drives a jeep behind us and arts up a ninja rax. I figure I'll let him waste time and we'll win before he can take out the radar and refs. I had plugged up middle and their com cannot escape from the right side.

I was right that it took ages for them to take out more than just a single ref. And I was right that the becv was staying on that side. I was wrong about how well they would defend.

So my team goes from Rambo to Bambi. Then I very killed by Hobbes because I'm stupid. He utters the customary "nub" and I decide to finally let his tagline get honored for once. I respond "lol ragequit" and do just that (and it was getting kinda late, lol).

Empires, the only game where one person can fuck over the entire server at a moment's notice. I love it.

13. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Highlighted your mistake for you!

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's a story that makes Empires worth playing? For who, lol.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

He's just trying to generate some hate. There's a reason behind a whole squad ganging up on a single ninja and that is a prime example of why.