There needs to be a reason to go into the Radar.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Omneh, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Omneh

Omneh Member

Because at the the moment its only good for hiding ninjas in.

Unfortunately at the moment I can't think of much that is valid so.... thoughts?

2. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

You could chase enemy infantry around in their base with apc's and chainguns so they have to hide in the radar to live, that's a pretty good reason. Gonna cost you apc's though.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Maybe allow the scout to sabotage a special console in there that does more than normal sabotage? Could be done for all buildings, so kinda like 2 tier sabotage.

4. jongscx

jongscx Member

Have it work for engies too, that they do double damage (or 1.5x) when deconning a panel inside the buildings. That way, we'll know where to check first for engies deconning, but they'll be semi-protected as well...

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I sure don't want anything added for friendly troops. They're supposed to be at the frontline and not looking at consoles.

6. jongscx

jongscx Member

No, I think we should have the same thing, where repairing it goes at 1.5-2x when doing it at the panel too...

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So basically the master control panel from cnc renegade?

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why not make a display showing the commanders view on use, could be convenience

i really dont know any good stuff to put in the radar, but i do senced the problem before, its just a useless room

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Sexy parties

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well the shape is ideal for conversion into a bunker, so I suppose you could perhaps let it be upgraded with the click of a button into a barracks/radar/armory combo building with firing slots and lots of health, basically a forward base rolled into one building?

Not practical as a defensive structure because of the cost (about a thousand res (600 for radar, 400 for upgrade) I would say) but good for quickly holding down an area.

It wouldn't be unbalanced because you can still mob the thing and nade or tank shell it to death, and grenades in the door / smokes over the firing slots would make it easier to destroy, it would just be something a bit tougher than an average barracks, useful to commanders, make fighting more intense (if you have two tough spawn points in a key area you will get lots of fighting over that area, current raxes are a bit too weak because people tend to destroy them fairly easily and push the enemy out).

The model could just be more or less the same but with more butressing and perhaps barbed wire / more wall-like texturing, as well as armor plates welded on.

Of course this is just an idea, mostly inspired by the shape and my current investigation into how to make fighting more intense with spawn points.

11. Empty

Empty Member

I vote blizzerd, let you open up the commander view and check things out from above with more detail than the minimap.
    And the bonus repair/sabotage stuff.

12. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I like the previously suggested idea of having a panel that shows the researched tech/currently researching techs so you can get a peak at what the enemy is researching and counter it.

13. Empty

Empty Member

I don't remember it being suggested.
    But it sounds awesome.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Make it into a love shack :p

But seriously, for ages the devs have been saying something like 'research viewable screen'...I assumed that was still on the books, ofc at low priority.

15. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Was talked about in here: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=4669

Was also mentioned in one way or another in various "additional scout/sabotage effects" threads I remember.

16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

have it give some sort of intell? like tell which ref nodes are unoccupied (which you could combine with knowing which one's your team have to see where the enemy's nodes are.

17. pixelized

pixelized Member

make it like renegade where if you go into a building and place c4 on a console you can kill them with like 2 bricks of c4. Ps give scout c4 charges.

18. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

we need to leave out the parts where infantry are useless, except for the engineer class because pistols are godly, the fact that only APCs, artilery, and tanks are useful, aircraft being destroyed by pistols, and the fact that renegade is a team deathmatch game with objectives

did I miss anything?

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Empires is also a team deathmatch game with objectives, for possibly the fourth time, only two players are playing an RTS.

20. Empty

Empty Member

Sig it dude.