The Ultimate Vehicle Customization Menu (Concept Pictures Included)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jephir, Aug 7, 2008.

?

Would you use this vehicle menu?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. FalconX

FalconX Developer

GUI has a pretty high priority atm, but there are some issues with the current code so that it will take a while to get to the point where we can change the actual look. It will look the same until we're sure the new code is functional, at which point we can start implimenting some of the new designs Doggeti has come up with. They look delicious.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

If you're not happy with the way the armor is auto added, then just don't click 'auto add armor' in the first place. :)

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

What use would the feature have if it's only used by people that think the front armor is the best side?

It's better to have a default setting where theres some armor applied to all sides, then you can make up your own mind on how to distribute the remaining weight, it's not like theres a head or a groin area. If you would compare it with a head or groin area, you would go at it by measuring the total size of the plates.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I saw a guy once who just put 2 plates of armor on the front and no other armor at all on his lt. Now tell me thats better then having a system that makes some sensefull armor configurations.

5. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

That is what I had in mind. I mean if I have a tank with even armor all round and I only have room for one more plate, it goes on the front. That all I meant by favoring the front. I didn't mean put all armor on the front and none on the back and sides!

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Thats what I'm talking about.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

It would be nice for there to be an auto add button, so you don't have to keep clicking the button to add 6 full layers or 5 layers to a heavy tank, or keep removing layers until you get it right.

have it auto add layers clockwise starting from the front until they full. If you prefer the left to the right, it's a quick fix.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I voted no and here are the reasons why:

1) I didnt get the mechanic in 3 sec without reading the "manual"
    2) do clumsy, unorganized

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the difference is that most of the time you'll just want it auto added, without customising it. so although if you are going to customise, it'll take the same number of clicks as before, most of the time you've reduced the process to just one "autoarmour" click.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Autoarmor (equal plates on all sides) as standart
    and costumization afterwards.

Would reduce stupid tanks with one plate each side and rest at front

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Love it, but I would like to see some pretty clear warnings/errors for stuff like 'Need an engine' or 'Too much weight'. I've had to answer so many 'why can't I build a vehicle?' questions that were as simple as they forgot to add an engine. Some clear warning/error that identifies the problem would greatly help new players.

12. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

^Big issue. It's such a simple thing that could be solved by someone saying "Click engine tab and put on an engine"

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I changed my mind and other developers agreed that we can make everything from scratch because we're pretty much rewriting everything.

Jephir's idea probably won't be implemented because adding more weapons to research breaks it.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it shouldn't be about "add an engine". of the list of engines, one should always be selected. then you click the picture of another engine and that one is selected. none of this drag and drop craziness. same applys to armour.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

That's a good idea.

16. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Update #1

I'm currently working on an update of this vehicle menu concept, driven on the feedback I've gotten in this thread so far.

Changes include:

• Tooltips for interface features, showing how to select weapon groups or add weapons, for example.
    • Weapon sockets are now directly on the chassis diagram, instead of the colored circles. This streamlines vehicle customization and provides a more natural feel for Empires veterans.
    • Weapon groupings are now selected by clicking on the weapon icon in the weapon socket, instead of having to click in the overview panel. This further speeds up vehicle customization time.
    • Weapons only need to be clicked on to select them for the slot, no dragging is needed. To remove weapons from a slot, right click on them.
    • All available armor locations are now shown as a dotted line when the chassis diagram area is hovered over, to prevent guesswork in where the lines are located. (Inceptor's idea)
    • A number is shown next to the furthest armor lines to indicated total number of layers on each side.
    • All loadout buttons moved to selection panel for tidiness.
    • Build buttons is replaced by help text if the vehicles lacks a critical component (e.g. engine), or there is not enough resources available. This guarantees that the user knows what is wrong with the vehicle if it cannot be built.

An updated interface drawing will be posted soon, I'm redoing a bit of it because I screwed up the layers. Just for anyone who's curious, I'm making these drawings in Paint.Net.

It's been great to read the discussion going on in this thread, and even better to see that the Empires developers are participating as well.

17. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

I like it: I'd prefer some sort of slider control with a text box for armour though, although the auto-armour idea kind of makes it obsolete.