The Trailer Wot I Made, Yeah?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sandbag, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

people keep asking me "hey sandbag! how's that trailer coming along! did you ever get it edited?"; seriously i've had more than a dozen people ask me. all i can tell them is "search on the forum"... but no more. now you can download the trailer here

actually, that wasn't the point of this thread. I just want to know if the trailer could be used, if its worth doing a media release and so on with it. we don't even need to have any new info; just a description of how the leagues went, perhaps a commentary on one of the clan matches went showing how cool the game is for clans, that sort of thing. I'd quite like to show the trailer off, because at least I think it's good, and a lot of people besides myself put effort in to make it.

2. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Wow empires looks good on high settings. This is nice but it's a bit short, and it flips between clips too much. Whenever it looks like somethign interesting is going to happen the scene changes. First person view in tank, comes round corner, spots some infantry, scene changes. Cool shot of light tank flying through water, spots another tank, scene changes. Whats the point showing a dozen heavy tanks rolling out at the end if they don't get to fight anything :( The scene on Crossover was great when the APC blows up, its simple but it is something HAPPENING.

Also theres a shot of a NF grenadier (first person) firign a rocket that comes out of his face instead of his RPG because he is strafing as he fires, kind of caugh my eye as looking pretty bad.

Great quality and I like the music but the shots could be longer and a bit more interesting IMO.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

A bit more of the RTS elements maybe. More of the comm view, dropping buildings and buildings getting blown up.

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

the dozens of heavy tanks couldn't be shown battling, even though they did encounter dozens of NF tanks, because the footage was just too low framerate- which is because the server almost burned a hole in the floor at that point.

RTS elements couldn't be filmed with demos, it just doesn't work. we had to use wegame for that, or fraps, both which record directly to hard drive, which means me on my lowly computer couldn't do it. I think KT supplied the footage we have. the problem is, that you need empires on highest settings as you film, there needs to be a lot going on onscreen for the footage to be worth it, and after all that you need constant high frame rates.

The reason it's fast is that it's meant to be exciting. I did a couple of trailers where there were "scenes" which developed, and everyone unanimously told me they were boring.

I agree; destoying/building buildings would have been nice. the thing is that it's damn ugly and boring to watch. as an experienced player, it's awesome to see a unit shoot a building till it goes dark, but it makes no sense at all to people that havn't played, it's just kinda dull. what's fun ingame doesn't always translate well to a trailer.

finally: the 30day trial i was using for the trailer ran out. and i don't have any more footage to add anyway. so um, if we want more features in a trailer, it's going to have to be a different one. i.e this trailer is done.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Wow...I thought it would be longer. Still it'd work pretty well as a battle teaser :)

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

I agree that this would be very beneficial and certainly more impressive. But do source demos work with the comm view? I think not, and using other software to capture everything while playing on highest settings always lowers quality tremendously here.
    Still it would be worth it.

Nice trailers btw, both of them. Though we'll never reach level 'brocolli' anymore i'm afraid.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

heh, you should make an Uncut version >_>

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Use fraps?

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

That's what i did last time. Capturing empires with external software at 30 fps with every setting on highest didn't always go as smooth as a quality trailer requires. Sure it would work with 1 building in a deserted area, but you only have like a minute of clips so i'd like to show some nice action and huge bases from the commander view.

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

I liked it. Nice music selection too. I lol'd at the "Musics" on the credits screen :)

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Wow! Great trailer! Keep up the good work!

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Maybe you were just doing it wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow4cC-Cz5l8

13. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

Pretty nice, but I think it should feature more infantry footage like rifleman and engineer rather than all tanks, just add some extra footage ftw.

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

to those that don't know, this trailer is finished. i litterally can't work on it any more it's impossible. stop making suggestions

the reason i made this thread was to say: lets make a public media release.

15. petemyster

petemyster Member

save the trailer for 2.2 release? I know that's like in a decades time, but it would save us from putting someone through the hassel of making another trailer.

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But I love making those trailers..

17. Empty

Empty Member

To make it play on startup [just to get you in the mood for empires, you can cancel with escape]

Save to Empires/media

And open the text file in there, add the line "media/empirestrailer.avi"

???

Profit.

18. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

aww yeah that'd be sweet.

19. Empty

Empty Member

I tried it, didn't work, but my resolution WAS 800x600, i'll try again later.