The Sniper Rifle

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Andariel, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Andariel

Andariel Member

..is a damned joke, if it would be a instakill, i would understand the intense "wobbley", im neither against the wobbling scope or the weakling damage but both together in its intense make it kinda u.p.. So here is my suggestion to it

The wobbley goes quick down when not moving.
    While being prone there is no wobble.(tripod or such thing whatever, even i shoot better at ranges when im laying on my stomach)
    when having accuracy the wobbley goes 25% faster, a bit quicker when being duck.

That is how i would fix it, not much, nothing big, just making it a reliable weapon on the field

the second in this which is more like wish then a actual thing i think should happen:
    A difference except looks between nf and be rifle, i think of something like these.
    BE: Nightvision scope - darkens everything but lightens up enemy playermodels (why? be is hightech)
    NF: Better zoom - allows to shoot at longer range, could be realized by either allows a second or third zoom state (in other words pressing attack2 again zooms further in) or it just is per se a longer zoom. (reason for this, it relies on the skill of the soldier instead of helping him by improved technology)

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

A headshot at any distance with the sniper is a 1 hit kill UNLESS the enemy is a rifleman OR has the health upgrade. (102 damage per shot) However, at closer ranges it can deal more damage, headshots dealing a maximum of 120 hp damage. And two shots to any part of the body will deal the same 102 damage at any range.

It was discussed a lot here.

I agree that a better zoom would rectify the situation-- if memory serves, the original reason for the current minor zoom is because the devs went with the 'powerful but inaccurate' idea; the thing had good zoom but the bullets weren't spot on when you fired at very long ranges. Now that the gun is tweaked for pinpoint accuracy, I see no reason why it wouldn't have a second additional level of zoom.

The consensus on the above convo ^ was that if you increase your resolution, you will have better aim results with the sniper rifle. This, afaik, can be traced back to the low level of zoom.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

It's a skill weapon and should stay a skill weapon. so I vote no to making it easier to use. In the right hands it's already pretty deadly.

scope thing sounds kinda interesting though

4. Androc

Androc Member

Yeah, I've been thinking that it could use improved zoom for a while. As a scout skill, perhaps? Maybe another skill that stops the drift.

5. Andariel

Andariel Member

and when they have to add it as a scout skill it makes no fucking sense that an genetical engineered/nanoaugmented soldier shoots worse then me with a frigging light scoped rifle, its already the way when i want to snipe i go nf rifleman 2nd. Seriously guys there is no real skill in using the sniper right now, and when they reduce the damage by a bit more, i wont mind as long as my crosshair will wander where i want it too

as i said, it should settle down fast at least when using the accuracy upgrade and/or proning

just for the record, MOVING ducked and being scoped don't wobbles it, sense? none here i managed to get qite some hits with it zoomed while keep moving ducked

shouldnt the person proning and waiting in best possible camouflage get the better accuracy?

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Why does the game need a better sniper rifle?

7. Andariel

Andariel Member

not better, reasonable, comprehension, if balance says it needs a slight damage nerf then okay go with it, so long i will keep collecting heads while being able to dodge and relocate slight in peace

8. Avair

Avair Member

yes let's buff everything you like using and not take game balance into account whatsoever

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I can use the scout rifle quite proficiently.

It is both difficult and irritating to use at long range, partly because of the zoom limit, and partly because of the view sway, I would not however change this. The rifle should be difficult to use at range because otherwise everyone would use it, and the rest of the classes would become mostly defunct.

While I would like the ability to improve the zoom (the sway I can compensate for, I have a button bound to a sensitivity toggle for when I need to do careful aiming, I use it with all classes) it should be a skill, or a selectable piece of kit which replaces the pistol or something, making the class less effective at other things.

Right now I think they have it well balanced, if you don't like/can't use the rifle at the moment, then don't.

10. Rexz

Rexz Member

When you shoot, don't you drain your stamina as a scout?

I think you wobble more when you shoot a lot of consecutive rounds. Try and wait for your stamina to go back up, and see if there's less wobble.

11. Avair

Avair Member

if you have a lot of stamina there's almost no sway when you're prone
    chris, i removed the zoom_sensitivity ratio from my infantry .cfg and instead put one in rifleman.cfg and another in scout.cfg, so i can use a very low ratio for sniping and a more moderate one for i.s.^^ the toggle seems nice though o.o
    edit: rexz - yep

12. Andariel

Andariel Member

who says something about a fucking buff? LEARN TO COMPREHEND im drunk and still understand this german/english from a russian friend who has problems with both languages

Sniperrifle need the wobbley when moving obviously, didn't posted it, but it does
    when being prone waiting for prey shouldn't it then not wobble?
    additional the buff typo got edited away to nerf (yes i had that typed and you didn't seem to have seen it as i did so)

comprehension, you get it taught in the library

and yes im quite pissed right now, i don't want to flame, some people just don't seem to understand simple reasoning without having their face knocked in it, multiple times

edit i repeat; it does not sway when ducking and moving, just for the sake of probably cheapness i made a script that kept me moving left and right enough to always have a los on the street in district, nearly each shot a kill, i laugh

and second edit: i also posted that when needed for BALANCE (you the thing you thought you made a joke of me) the damage should need a slight reduce, there is no skill in doing the exact opposite of how it is intented to be used, aka standing/lieng still and waiting for a clean shot

13. Avair

Avair Member

the less stamina you have the more it sways, standing up/ducking/proning also affects how much it sways

14. Andariel

Andariel Member

unless you move........

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes, you wobble far less if you let your stamina recharge to full, it's actually hardly there at full stamina.

And shots do drain stamina, consider using the stamina upgrade if you want to fire more quickly.

Edit:

Whenever people say things like 'I don't mean to cause offence, but...' or 'I'm not racist, but...' or a similar phrase, it's usually because they do/are but they just find it easier to claim they aren't than actually not be a twat.

Watch for it in conversation, you'll laugh when you see how often that is the case.

16. Andariel

Andariel Member

you all miss 1 big point, when i duck and keep moving i don't have it
    even when i stand zoomed and move it is not there
    perfect accuracy all the time
    sheeesh now im done

17. Balo

Balo Member

1 guy with a tank>>>>>10 snipers

thats all I have to say.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Perhaps being a scout should require a little bit of skill? that's probably too much to ask, but perhaps it's GOOD that it takes practice, is a skill to master, sways and such.

19. Balo

Balo Member

People just complain cause riflemans are more accurate from 10km than the snipers with that pulse effect. That, while riflemans shot 50 bullets per sec and are much better mid-short range makes the scout exclusive weapon, the sniper, crap; If you take the sniper you are forced to take the hide skill, and you will kill 90% of your targets thanks to hide, not the sniper itself.

20. Avair

Avair Member

not true at all