The single Greatist Sudgestion From Vess

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

No comment on the model buttery?

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

here's a comment:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH!!!!!!!!

(please don't sue me krenzo)

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Textures are pretty bad. It reminds me of TES3.

4. Anachron

Anachron Member

Hmmm... I'd ignore a noob who said this, but I respect Arklansman's ability too much to brush this off as "well what does HE know about it?".

SO!

Anyone care to give me specific examples of where (and perhaps how) I can improve my texture work to better reflect the level of art common to Empires Mod? 'cause I am always ready to improve my skills.

In related news, Vess convinced me to use the original cotton cloth material instead of the leather I had used in the textures. So here we have the coat in authentic (except for the color) WWI cotton drill, and authentic WWII Wermacht winter wool, and totally non-authentic brown wool, because I like the NF reddish/brown color scheme.

-Anachron

PS. Does Arklansman mean it reminds him of the textures in Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III? 'cause that's just sad... they had half (sometimes a quarter) of the texture resolution I've used here. On the other hand, the Morrowind artists _were_ getting paid for their work...

[​IMG]

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

That looks much better, now onto the pants. :)

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

NOES! make the trench coat cover most of his legs, with a small hole where you can see is boxers xD

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

should there really be the "old bronze" colour green at the top of the bulletproof vest? It looks insteresting but rather strange.

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Can source even handle trench coats? Every model with a trench coat that I've seen looks very stretched and unnatural when in a ragdoll state.

9. Anachron

Anachron Member

It's because of the greenish tint I gave the grey color I used when I color dodged it to look worn smooth. I can make that any color you want (or perfectly flat grey as well, but that tends to look really unnatural.)

That happens because the people doing it are cheating, and using the leg bones to deform the skirt of the trenchcoat. Adding a few (6) bones to the LoD1 model and enveloping the skirt to them fixes those problems... if it's done right. Also, ragdoll is EVIL, pretty, and funny, but evil.

- Anachron

10. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

How would you guys feel about this one? [​IMG]

11. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

it may not be entirely in keeping, but rather than glasses / goggles etc, could one team have someone with a monocol? It would be going far too far towards the tf2 style silliness, but having a class being patrick moore (complete with xylophone maybe) would be fun.

good work on the coats

12. REX

REX Member

Nice he looks very technician like and not whimpy at all.... he look like he could handle an smg well.

The current enigneer always makes me think a bit that he might be an officer with his fancy hat.

13. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I want a hardhat.

14. Adrian Calhoun

Adrian Calhoun Member

If you were too use this, I would say replace the pen in his shirt pocket with an open pack of smokes with a cig sticking out of it (I don't smoke, but it would look kinda cool).

15. Anachron

Anachron Member

He considered it, but a pack of smokes is just a bit too stereotypical. Not a bad idea though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  16. Adrian Calhoun

Adrian Calhoun Member

I understand, it is a bit stereo typical in retrospect, but instead maybe a grease and blood soaked rag half-in, half-hanging out of his back pants pocket. As a temporary summer worker with my local city public works, I had a rag that was in my pocket to clean blood up if i got cut, or to wipe off my hands after working with a truck, mower, weedeater, oily chainsaw, etc. I think that would look kinda neat too. And perhaps, maybe a few more grease, oil, or blood stains just for asthetic appearences. I know its the future with nano machines and all, but sometimes you just have to get your hands dirty to fix the problem.

17. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

So the over all appearance(no pun intended) is good, you would just like some little details.
    So I should Probably get ready for a more detailed concept.

18. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I approve of this thread. Keep it up Anachron and Vessboy!

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

before you go nuts about details, dont forget poly counts! I went nuts for detail making a weapon model, its effectively a GPU killer :| A typical HL2 model is 800 polys, I hit 16000 on the weapon model <_<

20. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Anachron Hates charictar modeling, These concepts primarily go to Don megel first, Then we see what the players think of them.

The odds of Anachron making more of these models is depressingly slim. How ever he is trying to join the team as a prop modeler.