The Plague

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REX, Sep 18, 2007.

1. REX

REX Member

In the last 2-3 weeks mosquitos have been a nightmare as the ultra rainy summer this year have resulted in trillions of them.

Their f´ing noise keep me awake at night which mean that I am very tired the next day and now I am so tired around 24:00 GMT all I want to do is sleep, so when alot of people get on the server I am too tired or cant stay for many maps.

So this morning I got up and went in to the uhmm... (small storage thingy house on the side of the real house) and some one had left the door to the outside a tiny bit open.

Seeing all the mosquitos all happy flying around wanting to drain me of blood and the thought of them fucking with my sleep I got pissed and closed the door and went in there with my insect lamp and my camera.

heres is a video of my happy revenge mass murder this early morning xD (It may take a while to buffer and so on)
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=501_1190115215

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

looks like fun :P

Perhaps you should fumigate the place? :P

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

zomg, looks like youd get sucked dry if you slept there

4. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

God if the bug zapper was inside what the hell would have it been like outside?...:skull:

5. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Reminds me of the time I went to my dad's hometown in Ecuador, Had to sleep with a Mosquito net over the bed (though that was the least of my worries there were also bats & rats flying & running around). :)

6. REX

REX Member

It is quite fun.

It wont help they are everywhere on the outside.... they are on every window of the house. And also a bit on the inside and it feels like they are looking at you. So every time you open a door you get a good 20+ inside the house.

You cant really see how bad it is outside unless you bump the vegetation during the day. Which makes it pretty fun to dump fireworks into bushes and stuff.

7. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

8. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Oh wow, when you find four mosquitos in your room here it's an epidemic.

Move to West-Europe for less mosquitos, bears, frost giants etc.

9. picard131

picard131 Member

You ever heard of that spray can + lighter = flamethrower trick? I highly recommend that...

10. REX

REX Member

yeah I have done that.... just switch the lighter with my nice fancy constant flame propane burner :cool: .

11. REX

REX Member

LOL I went in there today and killed them all.....

I did think of this solution but feared that they might pile up so much that they could start to stink as they decompose... but now I did it anyway.

I fired up a powerfull vacumcleaner and down they all went:D but they will likely come again and they are still in my room.

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

You gotta attack the problem at it's source, you gotta drain the pools of water around your house, thats mainly where the mosquitos lay their eggs.

13. REX

REX Member

I know I have drained all areas.... but I think most of them are from the swamp area about 1,5 km from here in a small forest that have really grown alot in size this year.

Also many fields have low areas on them with water and pretty much all of Denmark is farmland (looks crazy seen from google earth, flat and clearly marked fields everywhere). And alot of the fields have small water holes that they are forced to preserve for the wildlife and so on, they are small but there are alot of them.

Heres the Swamp.... that used to be like a big permanent puddle in the middle of the forest but now it is huge covering like half of the forest
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

oh wow, that's really bad.

you should complain to your local authority, get them to get rid of it or something, tell them you caught malaria.

15. REX

REX Member

LOL that was a good one.... I just imagened my call to them... they wouldnt care at all and if they came over to have a look they might instead go "wait WTF! your roof is black and not red AND it looks new..... you will have to remove it NOW" (communal building plans) not that a give a s**t about their rules but it have happened :eek:

also its a private forest just like the other small one that has an older different looking swamp area. (maybe I could get some pictures for textures for the swam map like ferns and such)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  16. REX

REX Member

Im a bit bored.... actually very bored.

and look the rain have begun once again and wont stop for most of the next 3 days.... I fear that we wont get any snow this year only months with cold rain.

[​IMG]

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Same in Belgium. No heat (in the summer), no snow (in the winter), only fucking rain :|

18. REX

REX Member

A small update on this.

There is a bit less rain right now, but the mosquitos are still here in great numbers, but now only in numbers like the worst previous years I remember.

But now there seems to be a new type. I suspect that they may be sleeping in the firewood being brought in now and awaken from the heat.

One suddenly apeared out of the darkness behind my screen and just went straight over to stab me in the face and later another one went for my leg when going to the toilet. These are the biggest and loudest I have ever seen here. Their agression/hunger also seems high compared to the small ones.

[​IMG]

There are several types and I always thought the big striped ones, that leave a striped mark in your hand when you splat them, were the biggest ones. (white and black on the biggest legs, that is more visible than on this one)

these are also insanely loud, like a very big flie or something, even across a somewhat big room.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  19. picard131

picard131 Member

You just need some sort of very short-range flamethrower. That'll fix ya.

20. REX

REX Member

I clear most rooms of the house every day and I do have one that is propane driven, but there are just too many.......

I collected rainwater in several barrels yearlier and sure enough they laid tons of eggs in them and they were already at a larva stage when I saw it had worked:D, I kicked those barrels over with a great smile seeing that I had killed thousands of them and ruined many of their attemps to reproduce the swarm next year.

But I fear it might be even worse next year. I ventured into the last of the 3 nearby forest and saw that even large parts of this one had also turned into a swamp area. Huge new swamp areas + insane amounts of these stupid things must = bad
    [​IMG]
    I thought about going into these areas and dumping A LOT of salt in the water or something, but that would nuke most of the area and all life that is supported by it.

Super frost this winter like negative 15-20 for a longer period might help, but I doubt that will happen. I bet it will just rain more. I think we usually get 700mm rain every year and as far as I have understood we will cross the 1000mm mark within the year if just the regular amount of rain falls for the rest of the year. seen in percantage that is a bit crazy.

Also since the skies have been grey for most of the summer it have been predicted that the amount of winter depressions this year will be HUGE.