the olden refs place automatically when player stands still 10 seconds next to node

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Sep 3, 2012.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why isnt this implemented yet?

the olden refs place automatically when player stands still 10 seconds next to node

simple and efficient, stand still next to a node, a progressbar pops up as the refinery gets ready to deploy, when 10 seconds are up it places and you can build it

when destroyed, the behaviour repeats when the carcass is removed/recycled

no cost is associated to refineries anymore (they are "free" for all technical purpuses)

why?

commanders might already have little to do, but placing refs is just mundane and can only lead to frustrations on players ends, and the "ref plz" guys and having to wait for refs to be placed while commander is busy etc, or people standing on a refnode blocking the placement etc are a bitch

all of those irritations are gone if this is implemented... think about it, way more positives then negatives

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

agree...

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I don't see why this is necessary, it would require coding and shit, sounds like it would make bugs and crash computers, and honestly who is really hurt? What commanders nowadays don't place refs, this isn't the 19th fucking century commanders get the game now.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, I'm sorry but the commander needs more stuff to do, not less.

5. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Cause I like to hear people bitch and cry when they don't get a refinery. muahahahahahaha
    [​IMG]

6. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Placing refs is tedious and gamebreaking when the commander doesn't do it.
    The commander needs more fun stuff to do, less tedious things.

Because countless times I've been attacked in the CV, have to move, while we have a little guy spamming me for refs refs refs. Or those times when I'm building my little turret farm in the base, it's ref ref ref. Or those times when I need to place a ref, but can't cause fucking midbridge wanted the refs to look fancy and only allowed you to pixel-place the refs.

I'm all for letting the commander have more fun, more strategic things, etc. But PLEASE, add this in. Just not in the way blizzerd wants it to be, I would probably more have it like Engineer buildables, something which can already be made in the Hammer Editor with some entity work.

Bottom line:
    Placing refs as commander is not fun. It's tedious and stressing.
    inb4 people going nuts and yelling that strategy, etc is tedious. It is not.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Distracting the commander and thus making him not place refineries, is a valid tactic.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Having to watching text chat as a commander is really annoying.
    But I wouldn't want this because I like to drop refs, it gives me other things to do like drop a barracks and turrets or scan for targets and generally helps me keep in check with what territory is gained or contested.

However not everyone has a mic and watching text chat whilst researching, building/defending base etc is a pain in the ass and when everyone is typing it easily scrolls off unless people spam it.

I would prefer a half way house. When a ref node is clear an infantry can go up to it and hit their use key - this would put a text notification in the commander view for 10 seconds:
    emp_recruit requests refinery deployment at C4

I think it addresses the problem of commanders being absent minded regarding text chat and it still keeps the commander in the loop.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

thats a nice idea

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that hit the spot.

11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Can I get a killspawn command then ?

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

inb4 slippery slope

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I was going to make another suggestion but didn;t want to derail so I'll make another topic.

Back to the Refs - Assuming it is feasible I think it has no downsides. Everyone gains, the game stays exactly the same save for being a little more intuitive. Quickly, hide it from Flasche!

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the only downside i would want to add is that engis might need to stand around in completely boring areas for even longer - but well they have to do that already, so who cares right?
    no, no, i think ref placement by engis is totally cool, its something that distributes the burdens of the game more evenly.

though i see the argument that comms have even less to do now and i also agree with trickster about distraction.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  15. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Having refs be free throws a hand full of sticky grit on the slippery slide of empires. They no longer have to wait for the res they can just wait 10 seconds and one will plop down since its basically capture the flag for cash income. Reminds me of a few other games with similar mechanics. Destroy enemy income generator... capture the node and your own will plop down to be built up.

16. flasche

im not sure if 100res count that much.

17. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

Since I played a little Savage2 before moving to Empires back a few years ago, where the Builder-classes of both sides could also place all of the buildings if no commander was present, it always bothered me that Empires-players were totally stripped of any chance to at least get refs up when the comm had to do something else, was simply not listening or not at all present.

But there's a huge difference between the two games when it comes to the vulnerability of the commander: In S2 you have huge big ass castle/burrow with tons of HP which doesn't topple that quickly, surronded by defensive structures that really hurt you badly. In Emp the CV can easily be distracted, sometimes even trapped and destroyed, therefore making "distraction" a valid tactic in Emp to hurt the economic growth of a team, since the CV has to care about its own hull integrity more than about some refs. But lets be honest, the ref-placing-distraction which occurs when the CV is endangered or feels endangered is not the goal of most actions players undertake in a round of Empires.

I guess this suggestion comes down to making "bad comms" (meaning fairly new or tranquilized ones) having less impact on the game as a whole. While this promises to secure the entertainment for the players on the field, it dumbs down the role of the Commander for a new player to research and placing other buildings, therefore reducing the need for "battlefield awareness" in total (since you as a Commander don't have to bother about sustaining your income at all). This would result, if I'm not mistaken, in bringing up new Commanders with even less battlefield awareness, since they are not directly involved in the process of getting the res-flow they need.

If you add in one of the new features of the next version - research coming at no cost at all - res-gain isn't even that important anymore. While tanks will be more expensive, they also will be a little bit more squishy, making res even less important on choke-style maps, which require less mobility.

Don't get me wrong, I'd often love to just place the refinery I'v been waiting for 5 mins already myself, but if I think about possible "newcommers" and their "Empires-education", they might, in the end, even take longer to be good commanders in themselves, which includes awareness of the battlefield and minimap, instead of not harming the team that much.

Ad 100 res: 100 res often decide whether you can start research right now or whether you have to wait longer to get that crucial research going. But since research won't cost anything in the future, I guess that doesn't apply anymore. But 100 res decide on most maps in the early game whether you can place those front raxes or whether one front has to hold out a little bit longer until it can be resupplied with new personell right at the front. And it would make bigger-respoints with more income even more important, since you don't even have to pay the 100 res anymore. On the other hand Refs would not have to amortize for their cost anymore, since they don't cost anything but waiting time, therefore making smaller-respoints payoff from the start.

18. flasche

there was this suggestion by i guess it was chris where refs pay off themselfs with the first 100res they produce. just throwing this in ...

19. Apex

Apex Member

I can only hear Arma 2 VO saying "Commander.. Place. Refinery. At. C.4."

I really don't want engineer placeable refineries because I like Refinery-Poaching as a valid tactic that can turn games.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  20. flasche

dont you think that empires already is too much of a comm rush game?