The next patch will never be released if people don't turn up to playtests

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

For those of you who turn up to the majority of tests, and who attended tonight, thanks, I really appreciate it.

But as for the rest of you, the people that decided to reply with "Empires is dead!" whilst playing the regular version, the people who said "I'll play when the patch is released", you are the reason this patch may never be released. Hundreds of hours have been put into this patch by the coders, as well as the testers, relentlessly grinding at the mountain of shit that we've had to get through. Right now, we're trying to do final testing so we can get the patch out before September.

The problem? No-one is attending tests. We can't track down any of the remaining issues, see how weapon, vehicle and research balance is working out, or anything at all. People will sit and cry if the patch goes out and everything is messed up, but how can anyone possibly expect it to be balanced when we have no way of testing it. 4v4 is not going to yield good information on balance, but that's what we have to go with right now.

I schedule tests on the forum, spam my friends list, make events, announcements, everything I possibly can, and most of the other testers are doing their bit too. But the attendance at tests is just pathetic, and it's not enough to get anything meaningful done.

So, if you want this patch out, and you want it out in a decent state, then start fucking attending. If you aren't going to bother, then don't blame us when shit doesn't work out, because we've done our part, held up our end, and we can do no more, the rest is up to you guys.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I promise to not start long expeditions at such a late time.

Also, TSL4.

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I try to join the tests but every time one of those "test starting in 39 seconds" spam event messages comes up, it crashes steam and locks me out of it for hours. Same thing happens when I read steam, irc, and forum messages reminding me to playtest.

4. Trickster

2 replies. You people have no shame.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

sry, i have a life ...

6. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

But you have enough time to rant in threads everyday?

7. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Lack of computer keeps me from testing and playing in general.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

PC rebuilt - Didn't have time to install it after work yesterday.
    Today I will be heavily drunk by the time you start but I am installing it now and should make it to atleast 2 between Wed & Fri

9. Reznov

Reznov Member

empires isn't dead, it just got a new player base which is different than us, giving us the feeling that we're not needed anymore

i need to stop before i blow myself up with illogical statements from my insane mind

10. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Can I use the SVN or do I have to use your content server?

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Alright sorry trickster I'll download the beta but I wont be able to playtest tonight since I have shit to do but tomorrow so far I'm free.

12. Trickster

This is the kind of response I was hoping for. Thank you Grantrithor.

Either works, as long as they're updated.

13. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Well, I fancy a bit of Empires again. Hows everyone doing? Same batshit community? Excellent :)

Problem with the tests for me is I have a very thin window for playing games, at very specific times. Make it after 11pm GMT and give me, literally, a weeks notice and I can play. Maybe.

14. beeng

beeng Member

Where does one download the beta?

15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Send a pm to Trickster.

16. Trickster

Post asking for access here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=16003

And you'll get access to the testing forums with the instructions within.

As for tonight's test, attendance was better, but still not even close to enough. I still have people on my friends list who can't be bothered putting any effort in, and would prefer to sit on VIPER server chatting shit in spec about how the game is dying, rather than actually fucking help test it. The game is more than playable now, code-work is pretty much done, so it's just a case of updating some maps/materials, and then we're ready to ship. But unless we get more testing, the game won't be even close to what could be called balanced, and there will still be issues.

So get fucking testing. Same time tomorrow night, 8pm UK time, 3pm Eastern. We spend the first 30 minutes dicking about, working out any new changes, etc, and after that half an hour, we start playing proper rounds (with alltalk granted) and seeing how things work out. So join the fuck up.

17. beeng

beeng Member

Why don't you make the beta public? It might help with getting more testers.
    (and by public I mean just post it and post the times you will be testing... ie don't require people to sign up)

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

To test the things out we need it to pretend it's on Steam already, and there's only one appid we can use, and that is of steampires. So in order to play you need to....alter? a few things.

19. Trickster

We tried that. When anyone had access, no-one was interested. It's only by adding at least a certain level of exclusivity that people started turning up. And besides, you don't sign up per test, it's just a single post to get access to the testing forums, so we don't have randomers who will never test, posting there being assholes.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Well, apparently my practises were moved, so this week I can only sqeeze one hour or so with those time constrains.