The new steam UI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, May 22, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So I made a thread about the beta a while back, but now we are all forced to use it, dun dun dunnnnn, I know it was out for a couple of weeks BUT I went to the steam forums and found the criticisms page and I lol'd so hard I had to show you guys the screens of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So these are the times when we must break the balls of the VALVe art division and get our old and useful steam back. Like look how much threads there are on how shitty the new steam ui is.

Post script: It strangely looks like the suggestion forum on forums.empiresmod.com.

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I think it's awesome, way quicker access to games than before.
    PROTIP: Every change in something we like, gets shitloads of anti threads, just look at everytime the devs change anything at the mod.

3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I happen to like the new Steam UI, the in game UI is buggy as all hell though, It just tends to disappear then reappear seven to ten minutes later in the middle of a game without warning.

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

People complain about it like they use it more than the games on steam.
    It's funny because they get steam for free + lots of great deals, and they still complain.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's harder to access the games list. Before it was clean, simple and concise, now it's sprawling in whatever way you put it and it takes longer to open.

Mostly it's bigger and bulkier instead of clean and quicker (steam was never quick). It also uses up resources in a phantom way, slowing down stuff sometimes randomly, and tbh...it's way too flashy and muppety for me. I like the customisable tray menu, but then I can't put the games I want to play on there often, as it changes around to what I have played.

All in all, it's more of a move to mainstream, which is good for them, but I usually like my stuff with a "not a noob" option. On the other hand, it took about 4 years for steam to actually get to the point where it was good, so i'm not really that concerned, lol.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The problem is is that the flashyness is on the interactive things, really the flashy parts should only be on the artwork, which is why I use details over everything else because I like having all my games in one screen and being able to scroll down without latency. It lags so much scrolling down on the other ones its almost as slow as scrolling down my downloads folder.

7. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

There are mainly 3 things I really hate in the new steam,
    first of all searching/watching your achievements/stats,
    If you press now into your "played games" list and press on a game which you (obviously) already own you get redirected to the freaking shopping site, instead towards your stats which would be far more logical,
    looks like a cheap ass advertisement improvement, not a real update meant for better overview,
    and theres my second point, in the old steam there were 4 menus, Store, Community, Games, Tools,
    now there are again 4 menu's but tbh, Games and tools are both in a submenu, i don't want to search for source SDk while having "news" as on of the 4 menus accesable w/o a subforum, It's not like I would care much for team news -_-'
    further there's that bugged dowload submenu and if you press on your avatar instead of view friends in the lower right corner you get redirected to your profile, ffs, the MOST IMPORTANT MENU you obviously need a fast access link for while view friend is writen in 12 pts next to it,

and then beside that, bugs, tbh, there's beta testing for a reason, no need to release buged stuff, my game favorites keep changing from favorite to non-favorite ...:headshot:

tl;dr
    Nope, I don't like the new steam, it's far to impracticable and bugged

8. my_fat_monkey

my_fat_monkey Oh you're my sister!

I just want my L4D theme back.....
    Doesn't work with the new UI....

9. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

steam seems homoer now esp with the new games list

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The server listing and "view my profile" buttons are way harder to find. It also crashes a lot more and interrupts my gameplay a lot more. It looks nicer though, I'll give them that.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The small games list now has its own size, no more resizing whenever the community page was open. WIN!

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The details page is kinda nice, You get a nice little graphic of the game in the background with a colour filter on it, and you have recent news(This only has point with something gets steam news like TF2 or L4D(2)) and at the side you get steam groups things and stuff and news, so yea, thats the only good thing in my opinion, but I still liked the old one.

13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I like the new one, progress is good.

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I like the new one for one reason: Collapsible categories.
    I'm sorry guys, I'm sure you have great reasons for hating the new UI, but once you have over 50 or so items in your library (91 here), it gets fucking annoying without categories.

15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

The "Verify integrity of game cache" option under Properties seem to crash steam more often with the new UI.

Steam generally crashes a lot more for me too.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Took me a few days to get used to it, don't notice it any more.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

its totally web2.0

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That was the reason why they had a favourite category, I also have like a bunch load but it was just a difference between id and valve + mods, so I put valve and the mods in favourite and kept the id in the installed so I could seperate both for some ultimate id or valve marathons!

I put empires in category "awesome' ftw.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the ingame overlay is shittier then it was before - i mean seriously "these guys are on your server" as if i wouldnt get that by pressing TAB :rolleyes:

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

What the fuck do I care? It sucked balls and they did something about it.