The most fun fail I've ever had

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Thristhart, May 21, 2009.

1. Thristhart

Thristhart Member

Unfortunately, I wasn't recording when this happened, but it was intensely amusing for BE and quite frustrating for NF.

Map: emp_duststorm

Scenario: I am the BE commander; Beer Delivery Guy is on the team (I admit he's the only one I remember from the beginning, though many fun guys joined later)

Rundown:

At first, we have some trouble deciding where to go early on and fail to capture the north west, which was my original plan. (capturing the north west, that is; not the confusion). We do manage to spread out very far and own about 70 percent of the map.

However, and I think this is what cost us the game, I didn't place turrets around the comm. I exited commander view to reenter it (so as to fix the commander view sticking glitch) and discovered myself being walled in. My team reacted beautifully and eliminated the 5 or so enemies and unwalled me ( I ran over a few, to my credit :P). However, the distraction freed northern faction to launch a tank rush, and we fought for dear lives at the north east. I eventually fled undetected to the north-west/north-middle where I constructed a barracks and vehicle factory, relocating our main. Here we held out for a while but were unable to hold on to refineries for long or successfully take new ones. Our vehicle factory died, and, sensing trouble, an intrepid group led by Beer Guy set up a refinery and barracks at the east-middle.

This was undetected by the enemy. I dropped a missile launcher turret farm, held my position as long as I could, and fled there. This part instilled great pride in me for my team. We stayed there for what I think amounted to 45 minutes, brushing off tank rush after tank rush with only turrets and some very determined infantry. I decided to drop a vehicle factory, and, faithfully following instructions, my team dropped everything to build it. We used the last of our resources (we had 8 left afterward) to send an APC stuffed with a squad to the north west. I recycled EVERYTHING and another refinery was built in the NW (after fending off an artillery tank and an AFV with merely an APC!). We held until I had the 400 resources to build a barracks and fled.

As you can imagine, by this point the northern faction is fed up of the ability my team showed for survival. They owned the entire map, had arties, heavies, everything, and we didn't even have a vehicle factory. And yet, we still survived. Our eventual undoing came when an NF ninja got our rax (I had 380-something resources and nothing to recycle! Woe is me!) I like to blame myself for that, although how I could have stopped the ninja I'm not sure. My team built a wall fort on the hill and held out, and would have continued to if the comm vehicle could have been in the wall fort. Finally, I was forced to flee and lasted a minute or so against a parade of heavies.

As several BE players put it:
    "That was the most fun fail I ever joined to; normally we just get our face shoved in the dirt"
    "Oh, we got a mouthful of dirt alright"
    "But this time it tasted delicious!"
    "And we spat some back at them"

...just wanted to share that bit of hilarious fun with you.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Alceister

Alceister Member

And that is why I ALWAYS check back with my CV and ALWAYS keep moving.

3. Demented

Demented Member

I was in that game on NF. (Mostly running between bases as scout, just because I could.) We got as far as mediums and artillery.

First phase:
    Game starts. NF took City and NW. BE took Middle, then circled around to take South-middle and Northwest while NF had North. The NF in North then walled in BE's CV, which escaped, built a barracks, which was destroyed, and was finally defeated after being flanked by BE's new barracks in North Middle. (NF's CV was stranded in Northeast, guarded only by clueless light tanks and corpses until Fungocybe rescued it. How it got there I don't know.)

Second phase:
    BE's second base in North Middle (built by the team that seized NW, most likely) wasn't defended, except by a lone grenadier, and was taken out by two light tanks and a scout. BE's com briefly made a barracks in East Northeast, near the mountain, but NF surrounded it with APCs and light tanks and expunged the location. That was when BE's South-Middle base started up and NF's main was destroyed, but by that point NF had built a base in North-Middle that would last it the rest of the round.

Third phase:
    BE held epically in South-Middle, behind the mountain there. Grenadiers and turrets rape absorbant hard, incidentally. Much of NF's money was wasted on artillery and light tanks that were continually destroyed. This was the longest phase, and a BE scout also deprived us from refineries for an extended duration, as our engineers were preoccupied with VF camping, since nobody wants to walk across duststorm. In truth, I think that barracks only fell because BE decided to move to NW; perhaps not the worst of decisions, the refineries in South are largely indefensible.

(At about this time, the NF commander finally decided to restrict vehicle construction so that we could get our research going.)

Fourth phase:
    BE built a base in Northwest, and shortly afterwards NF finally got medium tanks. Vehicles were unrestricted just soon enough to push back BE's infantry as they were mortaring NF's base in north middle. (Need I mention it was our only base?) We eventually got Voodoo in an artillery tank (Win!) and BE's APC finally blew up, largely because it drove through the middle of NF's base, right past a medium tank (Fail.).
    Das ende.

Significant casualties by end-of-game were 2 NF barracks, 5 BE barracks, and an army of NF vehicles.

4. spellman23

spellman23 Member

sweeeet.

This is why I say never give up and don't Alamo. Sometimes it's awesome.

Then again there's those games where the comm runs out of things to tech and it turns into an arty/hvy war in canyons. =[

5. Faunze

Faunze Member

Infantry last stands are one of the best things in this game, everyone comes together in a big mass of awesome teamwork. It's fantastic, just wish it was like that all the time.

6. Thristhart

Thristhart Member

We moved when you finally destroyed our refinery there (Beer and freinds had camped behind a wall and defended it, but nothing lasts forever). We tried a few times to get another up but were unable to hold, and so the last ditch effort was to secure the NW.

We may have been able to hold the barracks, but we were losing in tickets and I don't believe we could have won a ticket war.

7. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Once on Isle I was commanding, we lost the whole map except NW. I fled NW while we had troops still there and went to that little island next to NF main with the ladder and bridge. I built a rax there and we held out there, cause we lost NW.

I dropped walls in a huge circle around the entire island, then another ring around the barracks, so we were totally sealed off. Eventually they got artillery though, so for the lolz I recycled a small portion of the outer wall, waited ~15 seconds and recycled everything.

The small part in the wall broke open and I drove off unseen; seconds later the entire base crumbles around my teammates. Everyone was yelling "wtf just happened?". Then I got discovered and after a long chase dunked myself into the water. Much lulz was had by all.