The iPhone 6 will be a giant brick like the HTC One

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Apr 15, 2014.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It's the time of the year when Apple starts its production of the next iPhone and this means the Chinese slave workers have a field day leaking sweat, blood and iPhone parts.

Unfortunately the rumours were true, the iPhone 6 will have a 4.7" display plus the generous bezel from previous models. This means it will now be as big as those fucking Android flagships.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/15/iphone6-front-panel/

Seriously, what is wrong with those people always wanting bigger and bigger smartphones? It is a mobile device for the love of god! Is there some hidden cult in asia that has people have a fetish for big phones and always carry a purse with them?

A phone of those dimensions WILL annoy a lot of people after some time of use, i'm surprised Apple doesn't give a shit about user experience anymore. I'm happy with my iPhone 5 and will use it until it breaks down, i only changed to iOS because of the size, no way i would ever prefer a gigantic Apple phone over a gigantic Android phone.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

In February when I wrote my chem midterm the prof told everyone that if they get caught with their phones out it'll be counted as cheating and they'll receive a zero, so this guy walks to the front of the room and holds up his Note and he's like "I can't fit this in my pocket". Like holy shit it was the size of one of those playbooks from blackberry. In defeat my professor just told him to put it under his chair for the midterm.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

My reply: screw you I fucking LOVE my 5.7" phone. 4.7"? HAH! Little baby phone for baby users! Step up yo' mothafuckin game NIGGA

Big-ass 5.7" phone + Sixaxis controller app + PS3 controller (up to four) = TRUE MOBILE GAMING

4. McGyver

NOT EVERYONE wants to run around all day
    in FUCKING CARGO PANTS!

Also, INB4 Chinese smartphones for 35€!

5. Beerdude26

Ah, fuck

Seriously though, got my gf a ThL W200S for 200$, 5" Gorilla Glass 3, amazing IPS screen with extreme viewing angles, 32GB ROM, 1GB RAM, 8 cores running at 1.7 GHz and a pimping GPU. Battery is only decent, though. The ThL T11 has same specs but bigger battery.

6. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I lost interest in smartphones as soon as I bought a laptop bag.

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

a 'laptop bag'?
    Did you get it at the Five Finger Discount?

/fool

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I feel like it's all subjective to experience. I went from an iphone to an htc sensation to my htc one, everytime the screen was bigger and you know what, everytime before I had the phone I was like, bigger phone is going to be clumsy and everything I actually use it I'm like this isn't clumsy this is perfect. You need to get a hands on before u can judge, a lot of the time it's about feel too, 2 phones can have the same dimensions but the other one just feels bigger whilst its not.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

We all knew Apple was going to cave sooner or later. Their token feature on the "5" was the metal chassis and the bigger screen. They need another token feature for the "6".

Apple isn't stupid. Apple knows that we've basically "topped" out smartphones. That's why Beerdude's GF's phone feels speedy, not because it has an amazeballs SoC, but because smartphones don't do anything stressful. The iPhone 5S is definitely "good enough", so Apple will continue to sell it as a cheaper phone for two more years. Small phones aren't going anywhere because of that.

Are you kidding me? 4G is amazing. I love being able to just pull out my phone whereever I am and waste time on Empires forums fuck around for a bit. I'm in the light&mobile laptop camp, but even my tiny laptop can't go everywhere.

Sounds like your poor darling phone got stuck with asia's infamous obsession with cores. Trust me, compromises had to be made to get to that unnecessary amount of cores. It might be performance, battery life, heat or cost, but something was compromised so it could be marketed as an "octocore".

FAKE EDIT I looked it up and it's a bigLITTLE config of 4+4 A17+A7 running at 2.2-2.5GHz+1.7GHz. That's the first time I've seen A17 in a phone (successor to A12, replacement for A9), but it's still a lop-sided & over-clocked configuration (but ARM still allows it because it makes them rich...).

bigLITTLE dynamically switches between two groups of cores so your device can spend most of the time using low-powered cores and then briefly jump to high powered cores to quickly get a high performance task done and then go back to the low-powered cores for checking notifications while on standby or whatever. It' the "best of both worlds".

The issue is threefold. Firstly, you aren't running eight cores on anything. I think bigLITTLE can technically do that, but it needs a very weird workload to turn on all of the big cores and some of the little cores. Secondly, 1.7GHz A7 is not low power and 2.2-2.5Ghz A17 is stupidly hot (no way in hell it stays at 2.5GHz for any meaningful length of time). We're not in a PC where your fans can run harder. These phones will throttle themselves to avoid damage, so there's no need to waste your battery on oversized clocks. Secondly, A17 is the middle child, so it isn't really much "bigger" than A7. bigLITTLE makes the most sense when the "big" core is much bigger than the "little" core, or else there's no power differential to exploit. Ignoring bigLITTLE and going with just 4 lower clocked A17s would've been fine. If you're hell-bent on bigLITTLE, A15 would've been a better "big" core, but it costs a shitload of die area for 4 of those cores and this phone has to be cheap. We could be reasonable and only use 2 "big" cores, but this is asia so that's a "nope".

What does it all mean? It means your girlfriend paid for cores she didn't need and her battery reminds her of it every day. There's no better alternative/suggestion, asian phones are just like that.

But don't trust me, I'm some random schmuck from the internet. :headshot: Listen to the "perfect" SoC configuration from the guy that designed ARM's A53 (successor of A7). Watching it again, I forgot that he specifically calls out Asia's silly obsession with core count & frequency at 29:54. I wasn't expecting that, lol.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

You're forgetting the most important part of buying anything like this, Spartacus: The price of electronics in Europe.

11. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

There are also rumors of a 5.5" iPhone that is supposedly coming out around the end of this year.

I might get an iPhone later this year and I'm planning to get the largest display size I can afford, which will probably end up being the 4.7" because I'd like a decent amount of storage too.

12. McGyver

It's because of people like you that we can't have nice things. There was a time where progress was that phones get smaller and lighter, you could almost forget that they existed in your pockets. But today, everyone wants to squeeze an iPad into their pants.

13. ImSpartacus

Oh stop your crying. In two years, you'll be able to strap a tiny "smartphone" to your wrist and call it a day.

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Most people really dont care and either buy in their price category or buy for the brand.
    so pessimistic in 6 months theyll release a retina display ontop of your retina that uses redtooth, the next gen bluetooth, to connect it to a mini device that powers it through geo magnetic energy which will in turn solve the energy crisis. It'll contain atleast 30 octacores and will be available only in china on etsy. Definitly a must buy.

15. McGyver

I bet Apple will release their smartwatch together with the bigger 5.5" phone and will argue that the watch improves the usability pitfalls of a phablet.

16. ImSpartacus

That actually seems pretty reasonable. Not a bad prediction.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Still only got a Galaxy 3S and happy with it. Not going to buy a new one until it really breaks or something.

A tablet for portfolio presentation on the other hand...

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

ITT peasants who don't recognize what the Nokia Lumia brings to the fray

19. Beerdude26

I'm afraid you're out of your league here. I've been following Chinese tech for a few years now, so I know its downsides and upsides. I'll handle your response piece by piece:

No, that's the MTK6595, it's coming out in a few months. I'm talking about the MTK6592, which has eight 1.7 GHz A7 cores, no big.LITTLE. I am aware that most of the cores will not be doing anything, except for a few apps and games (Modern Combat 5 being the sponsored example).

Trust me, compromises did not have to be made. Performance? Yeah, the A7 core isn't as snappy as an A9 or the newer-generation cores, but it's quite power-efficient. MediaTeks production process has been at 28nm since last year, so heat, power drain and production costs are really damn low. I have a phone with a MTK6589, which has 4 1.2 GHz A7 cores. It's pretty damn snappy.

Secondly, I think MediaTek has some pretty awesome optimizations in place, because the battery life on these phones is really good. Not as good as Qualcomm, but they're close. Perhaps that's why they refuse to share their source code...

Yeah, Asia prefers to use the cheaper and less power-guzzling cores, probably because they're cheaper to license and they know the architectures, which means less time-to-market. Several Chinese SoCs are fully die-compatible with their previous generation, so many manufacturers literally just swap out the SoC and call it a day. Sure, they sometimes swap out the screen, add Gorilla Glass or up the ROM or RAM, too, but the body of the phone is 1:1 the same. Cheap as fuck!

on the current and next generation of SoCs. They're definitely not as good as even the mid-range Snapdragon 600. Hell, the MTK6582 uses a Mali-400 MP2. Chinese manufacturers take decent GPUs, keep the core count low and jack up the MHz. Again, keeps down prices while only taking a minor hit in battery life.

Asian phones aren't just like that. First off, the phone can go through a day or two before having to be recharged. It's 5", has those eight cores, and only a 1800mAh battery (luckily, removable). That's pretty decent. I would have gone for the ThL T11 for her (2750mAh battery, noice), but it's too blocky.

Second, check out this list of high-end Chinese phones and tell me that the "Western" brands can provide those specs and quality for that price.

Asia's obsession? I'm sorry, did I miss something here? Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 is clocked at 2 Ghz MINIMUM. The Snapdragon 801 at 2.5 GHz, the 805 at fucking 2.7 GHz! The Tegra K1, 2.5 Ghz.

Admit it, you're living in the distant past. The quality and specs of Asian devices has skyrocketed, and they're moving into Europe and the US with physical stores and warehouses. People are asking me to buy them a Chinese phone, but soon, they'll be able to just buy one in a store, and it'll still be 200 bucks cheaper than a shitty Samsung.

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

ITT people whining about phones which are inferior to Nokias.