The in-game Empires logo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by joekak, Jun 3, 2006.

1. joekak

joekak Member

Didn't think this was somethign that should go in the game's forum but I just had a question about the big Empires flag(when you first load up the mod).

Mainly, how can you make a big cloth like that, with say, photoshop or maybe 3dsM?
    Just wondering, cuase I'm usually pretty good with photoshop and have been trying to make a cloth to use for background pic but can never seem to make something that looks, uh, 'clothish' enough.

So if anyone knows how I can make something like that using those 2 programs, or could direct me to a good tut, that'd be great :D

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

on a note that is related to the thread title, but not the previous post: i really think that the image of the BE rifleman(?) in the fanart section should be in the game, or atleast the official website.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

seconded for great justice

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

If you mean the one with the tank and stuff in the guy's goggles then clicky

Just stick it in \Empires\materials\console and it should work... Might want to make a backup of the old one if you don't like it :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  5. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

Thirded so we can take off every zig

6. joekak

joekak Member

:(
    anybody?

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

well i havent checked it extensively but it could just be a plane shaped like a flag, or a special cloth module, with a empiresflag texture on it that is shopped like a cloth
    and with some lighting

didnt check it really too good tho

8. Jimather

Jimather Member

Would it be possible to make some kind of a script to choose a random one each time empires loads ?

9. ^Dee^

I believe it should be since HL2 does it. I shall have to check! :D

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Dee, the random backgrounds in HL2 are maps, loaded up each time by a script in the source code for that game. You can actually load up those maps, but the map has code that disables things like HUD or movement. It's fun to load up the map for the visual testing in CSS and do noclip, it puts you in third person, and you are actually a cube.

The picture loading for Empires I'm pretty sure is just a picture file, so maybe if you coded in a script that is run when the menu is loaded, that could work..

11. ^Dee^

yea, that's what I was thing, maybe something in autoexec file but not sure how to tell it what to do =P

12. Sebybeby

Sebybeby Member

Easy way to make a flag with texture

1. choose your logo and colour scheme
    2. Paint this onto a blank canvas in block colour.
    3. Get a good canvas texture, "www.mayang.com (choose textures link).
    4. rescale this canvas texture so the detail is fine enough to look right. (you may need to make the texture bigger, use the clone tool and heal bush for this.).
    5, Make this texture layer grey scale by saturating, (using the grey scale button will convert your entire project).
    6, put this layer on very top of composition, and choose a layer blend mode. e.g, overlay, multiply etc..
    7, adjust the contrast brightness and opacity of this layer to get it looking how you want., try adding some marks to the texture layer as well to make it look more rugged.

8. To get the flag ripples you could paint them in photoshop, personally I would do the following as its just as quick, / more accurate.

9. Make a flag by creating a nurbs plane, with say 6 divisions horizontally and 1 vertically, and pulling the verts about
    10. put some very simple lights in your scene, 1 might do. Position your camera
    11. Apply the photoshop texture you have made
    12. Ipr render
    13. adjust lighting until it looks right
    14. Render final, take back into photoshop and tart up. (play with the contrast brightness and colour balance especialy)
    15. Go to the pub and get completely pissed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  13. Jimather

Jimather Member

my god and i thought music production was technical.

14. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Its all about the manuals and if you take the time to read them...unlike most people.
    Fire up Maya or C4D if you want 'technical' for a new user;)