The first 5 minutes of gameplay

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by straylight, May 19, 2006.

1. straylight

straylight Member

As we all know some players are better at Comming, some are better at following orders, some better at going lone wolf.
    What I'm seeing more and more is people deciding the game is over,

Teammates:
    -scream at each other about what to first purchase (research items, etc,)

-switch sides (regardless of the odds) because they dont want to lose

-demand excessive Commander attention and ultimately attempt to vote him out

-finally, tempermental teammates GRAB THE CV to total it to end the round.

All this happens in the first 5 minutes of gameplay- Ridiculous.
    Players are bound to have methods that differ from yours and a good commander is adaptable to others playing styles. I shouldn't have to point out that the most satistfying victories are the most hard won, we've all played rounds where we made some miraculous comeback. Theres a reason why you get more points for being in a squad- teamwork.

Don't ruin the game for others beacause you arent PWNING (people still use that word?). Regardless as to why things don't go your way, people are trying to have some fun. We're all quite passionate about this mod being the best it can be and that includes the community.

Usually when these things occur, I have to point out that in a competition SOMEONE has to lose- It's part of the game.

-Straylight

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

There should be a surrender vote thing. I mean I've been in plenty of games where the team couldn't be arsed playing to the end of the round. Either that or do the NS thing where if the teams become too unbalanced, the round ends =)

3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

My god, I'm so freaking glad I don't play your crazy european servers. I know I haven't played QUITE as much as you guys in the last week, but holy crap. That sounds horrible. I don't think the american servers have as much of an issue with this as you. We mainly have a couple (one actually) of unstoppable griefers.

So.... you have my sympathies :( but nyah, nyah, nyah! :-P

4. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I think all the problems would be solved if there was a greater admin presence in the servers.

5. FLH

FLH Member

TBH the NS systems with round starts, unevens, end games, etc could be well placed into this mod, Flayra prolly would love the credit too, lol....

I take on board what you say but the game *can* be ruined in 5 mins, easily, sadly. The most annoying thing I find is the end game on ticket maps where both teams get to 1:1 and you then wait 87 hours for the bravest team, playing the game properly to die.... Not fun.

6. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

Thus far I don't think I've played more than one or two bad rounds of Empires. There's plenty of screaming and namecalling, but no actual destructiveness, just bitching. >;P

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

too bad you cant mute text chat

8. zachtos

zachtos Member

I have played very few evenly matched COMPITENT games. It's always a total blowout or pathetic strategy of one team or another if you can call it strategy. I always have a game plan, but get utterly sick of commanding. It is still quite boring to command, especially when hardly anyone listens anyways. I so feel like an upgrade machine and building dropper. If i restrict vehicles, I get ejected for trying to maintain res flow.

What really bothers me, is that if the team doesnt move out FAST to gain ground, you usually will lose and suffer a slow defeat. SQUADS take too much time away and the system will hopefully be revamed, preferably allow the comm to have control over squadding.

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Yes :( I'm surprised no mod has even tried so far =/

10. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

I hate to see 10 little arrows hanging around the main base, me and another guy being the only one going to a ref point. Then i hit tab to check classes

Scout
    Scout
    Scout
    Rifleman
    Grenadier
    Rifleman
    Rifleman
    Rifleman
    Engineer
    Engineer

At times like that it is really discouraging because i know at that point we are most likely going to lose.

11. straylight

straylight Member

HEH yep I hate that.. .everyone is screaming about wanting a VF and armory and im the only engineer out of 15 people....

12. dizzyone

owyeh its also definitly frustating to see one engineer fighting off 5 enemies, and 3 riflemen are on the other side of the map camping behind a rock because one engineer is building an mg 10 meters away...

13. theBlind

theBlind Member

I think once the new "pros" learn the ways of the game, the screaming will subside to manageable levels and people will start heading out of base once more.

14. Jimather

Jimather Member

yeah its definitely frustrating but give it time for people to improve and for a tutorial level to be developed and as theBlind says the screaming will subside.

im all for making completion of the tutorial to be required before you can play on net servers. maybe this a little too much tho im not sure. but if someone is prepared to download 450mb before they play, im sure they would be willing to complete a reasonably entertaining tutorial level as well.

15. theBlind

theBlind Member

If we can pull an entertaining, 5-10 minute tutorial, I agree that making it a requirement is an acceptable idea.
    But it must explain that empires is a complicated game and the knowing the basics is essential.

That said, the tutorial should be designed in a way to let players really knowing the game finish it fast.

16. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

1) Have you ever played an FPS?

2) Have you ever played an RTS?

If you answered yes to both of these, then a tutorial is completely unneccesary.

17. dizzyone

yeh tutorials are usually ment for advanced weapons and moves training.
    I think a fast slide show would be enough tbh

18. Jimather

Jimather Member

thats completely untrue. playing one game does not teach you all the controls and aspects of another. of course every player graps the basic objectives, but they need to understand how to actually control the the specifics of empires before they can play it properly.

a tutorial is a must for players to learn how to join a squad, which classes do what and much more besides. they cannot automatically know these things through experience of other games unless they are telepathic.

dont tell me you knew everything about empires and its keyboard controls the moment it loaded because you have played c+c and halflife.

and besides, why shouldnt we be attracting players who havent played either.

19. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

We should be attracting as many players as possible, at all times, and then educating those that don't know how. With games like "Nuclear Dawn" or whatever the fuck it's called, and other Natural Selection-esque mods coming out, we should be getting as many players as possible. If that means making a tutorial, so be it.