the end of rambo tanks

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FN198, Jun 11, 2009.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

tanks will have a dedicated driver and a gunner.

pros?
    builds community
    favors familiarity
    characterizes empires as a team game
    encourages players to work together
    tanks won't be wasted as wantonly.

cons?
    tanks will be less effective
    the weapon system may need rebuffing to compensate for the change in efficiency
    grenadiers may be OP against tanks
    it will take more people to pull off vehicle rushes
    people who are better off playing TF2 say it would be boring
    chris will get pissed off, but hes always pissed off so that doesnt matter (he'll post here btw, just ignore him)

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thats not possible atm, i herd rumours about it being a goal for the heavy or a heavier class then the heavy to need multiple people to control it to its best potential

3. zenarion

zenarion Member

Hell yes. I support this!

4. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Yes! And then let's add a few other crew members, like a reloader and a tank commander!

No I don't like it, but I wouldn't mind having extra guns on big tanks that the other seat can use, like it was planned for the NF heavy.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If we'd do this, i think it would be best to turn the heavy tank into a single, more powerful tank, because there would be too many players needed for one tank.
    It would allow the heavy tank to be balanced a litte more, and rewards the other team when they destroy one (additional points for killing heavies, anyone?).

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Listen, I thought this was coming for a long time? Heavies only, sure, but things like the NF's extra turret on the side were designed with the goal in mind that eventually heavies could have a few people manning differing guns, improving firepower, and turning it into a more dangerous vehicle.

Heavies would have to be more powerful, and almost super weapons at that point, but balanced with the fact that to make them lethal, they need to be manned by a few people. Mediums and lights should stay as single-piloted weapons ofc. But the difference between a medium and a heavy would no longer be 2 mediums>1 heavy, but rather 1 heavy=2 mediums+ a light.

I really thought this was on the board for a long time already.

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Make a delay to get out, so when I beat the heavy, I get ma 5 kills.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

qtf, theres nothing more annoying than trying to shoot when you dont know where the dirver is going to go .It would be extremely annoying with empires cannons, because the speed of the tank and its movement change the ballistics. Making tanks 2 slot won't help with the teamplay, it will only make people leave because of the poor efficiency.

also imagine the voice chat on a 32 player team "turn left, faggot!" " cmon shoot it now" "stop shooting ,we are stalled!" x 10

but having people use some kind of secondary cannons (that wont use the normal heat) is not that bad

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  9. zenarion

zenarion Member

Question is, would being a simple "turret" attached to a tank fun?
    And would just driving be fun?

Let's see how this can be improved upon:
    Improve ramming damage, both to target and the vehicle responsible. Walls take minor damage from this, and there is no friendly-ram-damage for obvious reasons. That will give the tank driver something else than just drivan around. He can ram other vehicles and buildings for damage.
    Tank gunners can also get more intel about targets, maybe a rudimentary targeting system or something, that gives them more info about their targets.
    Also, with this you can have a Grenadier driver (with the new "defuse" he sees where the mines are, and avoids them) and an Engineer gunner, who uses Vehicle Cooling. There, now the tank gets both bonuses, and is a monster. Fudge in a Scout in ther, as a passenger with Enchanced Senses, and suddenly you have a mobile radar. But that would only be needed for the heaviest of tanks, which should be reachable in tier3, near the end of the game, where both teams need to crack open bases with real force.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

We need an option for tank configuration as a crew system. O:

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

to promote making use of crew members:

make heat bar different for each crew member

if driver does not have a gun, tank cannot stall from heat

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There is already an end to rambo tanks, you don't get anywhere if you attack a large force with one tank, you either get blown up or driven off before you can do any damage, the only time you can 'rambo' as you call it is when the enemy doesn't offer any resistance, when you have in fact, won.

I am not averse to adding a large leviathan or goliath like chassis with lots of health, armor, and many weapon points, and this has been discussed before, but there is no reason for other tanks to require a driver and gunner.

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

This has been discussed and shot down, it doesn't work and other games have proven it.

14. FN198

FN198 Member

link please. i've found the silly voltron threads, however, thats just plain silly.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Red Orchestra has tanks with driver+gunner and it's incredible boring to be the dedicated driver. It ends up that people keep driving their tanks alone and switch with the f-keys between gunner and driver position.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's more of less what I do in armed assault, that is if I'm not just using manual fire and ramming people with the tank and shooting straight ahead.

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I think the team work should come into play when he needs repairs. Engineers either shouldn't be able to drive tanks or they shouldn't be able to repair there own tank at such a high rate.. I mean they can repair faster then rpgs can kills it.

And I agree with what chris said in the other thread, no one wants to drive and the turret will be laggy.

18. nekpek

nekpek Member

NO NO NO how meny games have you played with this all game i played BF2 Ut3 Crysis (all game with vehicles) has the driver always controled the Main Gun and Secondary Machin gun and then another man gets the top machine gun.
    i cant see the point make it this way.