that training map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by blizzerd, Dec 16, 2012.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

shit i need is in red, mainly textures

ask trixy about how they should look, because there are already some made (the ones here are not)

[​IMG]

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you guys redoing the tutorial?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well, upgrade significantly, rather than redo. Has Blizzerd's image broken or is it just me?

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Fine on my end.

5. Trickster

Yeah, it just came back up now.

Blizzerd, what was your plan with regard to the vehicle explanation part? That's not something we should just leave to them in the Sandbox.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You could probably use the very first part of the training as is, and force them to do the engineer training.

So, you start off in the hall with those 2 doors, the left for 'experienced players', the right for newb to fps. you could have the left lead to an area with an armory and 4 doors, for each of the classes. have the requirement for a door to open to be being that class. You can use a simple teleport if you'd like to make more room for each of the infantry areas.

In either event, I think anyone going to movement should be forced to continue through the engineer training to be introduced to being useful in the game. Also, leave in the exploding bridge :(

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I think the sandbox could do with a complete overhaul, give it a little character, currently it's the most generic little map ever.

On a side note have any servers tried playing a round of emp_tutorial?

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If you guys need the vmf's to get some of the things from it, i still have all of the training map vmf's, including blights final version.

9. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

they're all in the Dev SVN

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Apologies in advance as this has probably already been discussed in detail in other places, I've been out of the game for quite some time.

My main concern would be that the way you designed the new sections doesn't really flow well. i'd almost suggest having a teleporter or elevator (I think a small fast elevator then having the 'spider' off in different directions would be cool). The idea would be that each floor is catering to a different infantry class or aspect of the game. It also allows for a bit more specific use of the tutorial level, and would be easier to test and modify. If it's sectioned off into different sections that are completely unconnected to each other except through a main terminal, you can have multiple people working on different things at once, or otherwise just have it easier to mess with in general.

Other option would be to have rooms dedicated to activities rather than a specific class. Firing range with a demolitions range to the side for destroying a small building or tank with different types of weapons. Section with information about buildings. Section with information about vehicles. Section specifically on commanding. Outdoor sandbox.

In any case, i would highly suggest either dividing up the tutorial by functionality or class. The current tutorial was made with teaching people how to be a not useless engineer as the primary goal. 3 more levels with the same detail but for the other classes would be cool.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Teleporters might be quite nice to be able to work on a section at a time and not have to worry about connecting everything.

12. Trickster

Yeah, teleporters seems like an easy option. Or just kill them and make their new spawn in the next spot.

13. Beerdude26

Is this still being worked on?

14. Trickster

I'm not sure if Blizzerd continued with it.

15. Beerdude26

Here's my mockup for the tutorial layout. An arrow means a teleporter from (and possibly back to) one section to another:

[​IMG]
    NOTE: When a player first accesses a new main section, a spawnpoint is activated there so they can always spawn at a specific location if they die for whatever reason.

Start would be like it is in the current tutorial: Short intro.

Basics would explain HUD basics (health, ammo, top right bar) and have the movement course from the current tutorial.

Spawn point would explain how to spawn. You'd respawn at Classes.

Classes section explains the four classes briefly and explain how to change class at an armory or barracks, and then ask the player to do so. It also provides teleporters to each specific class section. A class section would show the weapons of the class and his skills. I'm thinking of the weapons laid out on a table with info bubbles in front of them, and the skill images are on a wall with bubbles in front of them. Bonus of this approach is that we can always add more informational images if necessary; take for example the Revive skill and its different GUI icons. From each class section, you can go to the next, or go back to the main Classes section.

Shooting Range would just have an armory and some (perhaps dynamic ?) targets, as well as three different platforms for standing, crouching and prone position. Players can try out different weapons here.

EDIT: CRAP I forgot squads lol
    Squads would be in the place of the Vehicles section, you can go from Squads to the Vehicles section and back. Here, the concept of squads is explained, what the advantages are, what GUI elements you should look out for, how to join and leave one (and why you would leave one in the first place, like squad reviving) and information on each classes' squad abilities.

Vehicles would explain how vehicles and vehicle customization work, and provide teleporters to each vehicle chassis, as well as the ability to customize their own vehicle in another separate section (kind of like the Shooting Range). I don't know if we should introduce armours and engines and all that stuff here or just leave it for the Research Trees section.

Buildings explains the concept of structures in Empires and provides teleporters to each building type similar to Classes and Vehicles. The player can also build an Armory and destroy some turrets like in the current tutorial.

Research Trees would explain the concept of research and what advantages it brings, what the prerequisites are, etc. Best would be to show pictures of the research GUI while explaining it so players link that information with the actual GUI. Then there are teleporters to each field tree. I guess it would just be a representation of the tree with an info bubble in front of it that explains the tree's elements.

Commanding Overview would be the most important addition and probably the most extensive one. Here, you'd learn the concept of commanding: learning the GUI, recycling and placing structures, perhaps have a few bots that you can give commands (they don't actually do anything, though). Also important is selection of vehicle factories and creation of vehicles by the commander, doing actual research, zooming and panning with the minimap, resource management, general tactics, driving around with the Comm vehicle, etc. Doing this in the sandbox area of the current tutorial is probably fine, although we could perhaps do a few sections with specific info on tactics with info bubbles.

In short: Lots of recycling of the old tutorial (especially info bubbles), but more structured and more information concerning classes, skills, the GUI and commanding. When explaining a concept, we should always show images of the relevant GUI elements so players actually understand what the truckloads of GUI crap actually mean.

Stuff I missed?

16. Trickster

All good, though I don't necessarily think a shooting range for weapons is that important. Could help to show what the various grenades and non-bullet weapons/tools do though.

17. Beerdude26

I don't think it'll be hard to make some static, destroyable (but respawning) targets that people can fire at. It would whet their appetite, I think :)

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

FYI, shooting range would be great for getting the feel on how the weapons handle in emp.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

It would be nice to have the map switch out the bullet holes your gun makes for paint gun rounds to make them noticeable at a distance. This should be doable since training map will be a local run server yes?