Text Chat

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329, Jan 15, 2013.

?

Do you read text chat regularly?

1. Yes ^_^

78.3%
  2. No. I am a faggoty cunt who lacks awareness such that it's a miracle I can play Empires at all.

21.7%
  1. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Why do some people never read text chat? I get it if you're in the middle of a battle zone and are too occupied to do so, but coms really don't have an excuse to ignore text chat, but so many commanders often do. It's really frustrating to sneak past enemy lines to ask for a rax, or to ask for armory spam on the frontlines, or ask for a comm to give squad lead to you, just to be ignored because the commander doesn't read text chat.

2. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Get a mic. Or spam text chat.
    Text is usually full of spec chatter and nonsense, so is the voip but it is easier to parse/discard that whilst doing something else.

You are not being ignored if you are not being seen. Text chat can scroll off the screen in a few seconds and there are more important things to do than scroll back and read it all just to be sure you didn't miss someone. They are going to start spamming when they get impatient and eventually get what they want.

I'm not says commanders cannot read text, just that it is a pain in the ass. A decent commander is at least as busy as anyone else on the team.

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

It's strange, because I actually find it easier to parse information in text chat. People's mics are often too soft, and when they say "ref", or "rax", their location markers show up for far too little time.

4. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I command regularly and I always try my best to read the chat(and I do) but there are times I'm forced to ignore a request for a while because I must concentrate on a particular location/squad.

I know it's annoying to not get a rax or a ref the moment you request it but try to be a bit patient and think of your commander too, I've had people ask for a ref while I was getting rushed, escaping from a base after we lost a rax or just while driving away from apcs.

Hobbes always manages to read chat somehow though and he always responds too, I have no idea how he can do that.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I generally don't miss anything written in chat, but I can't always respond to it instantly. If I know it's going to be a while, I try to tell them over mic to wait a bit. I've had people wait 5 minutes for a ref, as long as I told them the situation, such as getting buttfucked in main and having to drive away or whatever.

6. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Right, but that still constitutes reading text chat, even if the response is delayed. I only have problem with commanders who absolutely ignore anything written in text chat, even when not under exigent circumstances.

Obviously, if you're getting rushed at main, you won't be able to respond to text chat, but you also wouldn't be able to respond to mic chat. The whole point is that some commanders, even in low-risk scenarios, will respond to mic chat the the expense of paying attention at all to text chat.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, it's pretty typical to see me spamming "REF" over and over. I need to bind a key to that.

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Worst thing is seeing someone spam ref when your main is being under attack. :)

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I have the problem that i can't ignore chat while playing. Which is terrible considering most of the time Empires specs have lengthy discussions about dragon styled vibrators in allchat.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

I can't do multiple things at once. I read the chat while waiting to respawn, but i have no f*cking clue how people are able to read it while playing.

And actually most of the time when waiting to respawn, i'm looking at the minimap and deciding where to spawn and wether or not i need a class/skill/squad change.

The only thing that will absolutely attract my attention is someone saying my name over voice chat, or the name of the squad i'm in.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Ref E4
    Ref E4
    Ref E4
    Ref E4
    Ref E4

Yes, I wonder how it's even possible to overlook this.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I spam text while using "area is clear" voice menue and using mic at same time. I usually get the ref or barax in 2-10 seconds.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

cant read chat when i com

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I stop reading chat if 70% of the team have mics. This game is about communication, if you want to be heard, buy a mic.

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Then it's a good thing you're yelling, "oh shit, apc in main. The radar just went down. I'm running to ruins. Fuck you Spartacus, you should be kill spawning before the-oppp rax is down."

16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Most players don't spam ref when main is under attack because they're busy killspawning anyways.

17. Neoony

Neoony Member

Requesting air support!

often works, while typing "ref"

18. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

"area is secure" is way more appropriate.

19. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

What team have you been on that tried to save anything that wasn't on the front lines?

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Then you should always read chat because even in scrim only 30% of your team is using mic.